The Amy Schneider thread

January 11th, 2022 at 5:41:18 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: kenarman
A few comments on curling as food for thought. Curling participation in Canada which has the most curlers of any country is about 40% women. Women curlers play always play the game somewhat differently then men. The men throw a higher percentage of take out shots and some of the shots that require an extremely fast shot require more strength than the typical women has.

Sweeping a rock is more effective the faster you sweep and harder the broom is pressed against the ice. Both of these functions are better with more strength. The maximum pressure of the broom on the ice is also limited by the mass of the sweeper, more mass more pressure. Men typically weigh more than women.

That's good insight; thank you for the clarification.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 11th, 2022 at 5:43:44 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
Not really. Boxing can be won by knockout. Figure skating is subjective, but speed skating is not. Skiing is by time and distance except for the freestyle events. Baseball is not subjective, there is a defined strike zone. Just because there is a ref calling penalties does not make a sport subjective.

The ref having the autonomy to decide whether or not a particular act qualifies as a penalty is the exact definition of the word, "Subjective." Don't you watch the NFL? Are you going to tell me that no pass interference call has ever been subjective...when half the people say, "Let them play," 25% see DPI and 25% see OPI.

I'll grant that refereed sports are less subjective than sports that are purely based on judging, but that doesn't make them 100% objective. Most sports are not, as Gandler pointed out, 100% objective...maybe darts...although someone might step off the line and someone else might not see it.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 11th, 2022 at 5:45:09 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
How they were allowed? Simple. "Woke" liberals allowed it. End of story. Either you say you compete in sports as your assigned gender or you allow people to choose and then anyone must be allowed to choose. And when you decide to go woke this is what happens.

The person Wizard referenced was born female---technically intersex---(with female equipment) and just had naturally elevated testosterone levels because of a genetic mutation, or something along those lines.
January 11th, 2022 at 5:50:19 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
The ref having the autonomy to decide whether or not a particular act qualifies as a penalty is the exact definition of the word, "Subjective." Don't you watch the NFL? Are you going to tell me that no pass interference call has ever been subjective...when half the people say, "Let them play," 25% see DPI and 25% see OPI.

I'll grant that refereed sports are less subjective than sports that are purely based on judging, but that doesn't make them 100% objective. Most sports are not, as Gandler pointed out, 100% objective...maybe darts...although someone might step off the line and someone else might not see it.

That is not what is meant by subjective as I was explaining it and everyone here knows it. There are just a few ways to score in football. Touchdown, extra point, field goal, two point conversion, safety, and in college the one-point safety. Each is clearly defined. Yes, humans make the call and some are close, but it is by a clear way to score.

Subjective as I am discussing is like in figure skating or gymnastics. A judge gives you a score. They have parameters but they give a score, that is "subjective." The poster who first said all sports are subjective is just upset that I am against men competing in women's sports and thus is trying to divert the discussion.
The President is a fink.
January 11th, 2022 at 5:52:24 AM permalink
AZDuffman
The person Wizard referenced was born female---technically intersex---(with female equipment) and just had naturally elevated testosterone levels because of a genetic mutation, or something along those lines.

Then you could argue they are female. This kind of person usually has an operation as an infant and that is that. This kind of person is not what is the problem and larger issue.
The President is a fink.
January 11th, 2022 at 5:54:04 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
That is the point but it will not close at the professional level. In golf the women will have to hit from the men's tees. That is going to change their results. Women's tennis matches are shorter. Bowling is tougher to gauge. Women use a lighter ball and will not have the same force to be sure. I do not think I have ever seen professional women's bowling on TV though.

The top women will regularly fall to "average" at best when competing with men. Feminists keep waiting for some freak of nature to come in and win so they can say "SEE SEE SEE!" She has not shown up yet.

What the hell is the point of the last section and what do feminists have to do with anything? If women choose to go compete with the men, then they can do it and there are sports where they have done it. There was an LPGA player who played in a few PGA events...and I don't think she came in dead last every time, or anything. You have Danica Patrick, even though NASCAR is not really a sport.

I think there have even been a few women to play professional hockey with men and not as a publicity stunt. Minor league hockey, of course, but that's still pretty awesome.

I don't understand why you would make it about whatever you think, 'Feminism,' is rather than a story about women or girls doing something incredible. If we see girls on the football field (or whatever other sport) from a young age and they can compete and succeed into the higher levels, then I think that's pretty awesome.

You can't on the one hand acknowledge that men are biologically superior when it comes to most sports, but then at the same time take away from a girl or woman's drive to compete and how good at a sport she must be to even try running with the boys or men.
January 11th, 2022 at 6:00:16 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Heh, just design basketball with a short and tall basket. The short basket you have to make the goal by throwing the ball up through the lower hoop which will be 2 feet off the floor. We'll see how shorter players do then.

: )
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 11th, 2022 at 6:00:19 AM permalink
AZDuffman
What the hell is the point of the last section and what do feminists have to do with anything? If women choose to go compete with the men, then they can do it and there are sports where they have done it. There was an LPGA player who played in a few PGA events...and I don't think she came in dead last every time, or anything. You have Danica Patrick, even though NASCAR is not really a sport.

I think there have even been a few women to play professional hockey with men and not as a publicity stunt. Minor league hockey, of course, but that's still pretty awesome.

I don't understand why you would make it about whatever you think, 'Feminism,' is rather than a story about women or girls doing something incredible. If we see girls on the football field (or whatever other sport) from a young age and they can compete and succeed into the higher levels, then I think that's pretty awesome.

You can't on the one hand acknowledge that men are biologically superior when it comes to most sports, but then at the same time take away from a girl or woman's drive to compete and how good at a sport she must be to even try running with the boys or men.

Sure I can. Women do not belong in men's divisions, men do not belong in women's divisions. The woman who tried in the PGA did not make the cut. But they do not belong in direct competition. There is reason for the divisions. This is not "Brave New World" where we are genderless. Doing so is not a good thing. Ever notice that genderless is a theme in dystopian fiction?

NASCAR is as much a sport as say horse racing. I do not get why people say it is not one. Joe Gibbs said winning one NASCAR race was harder than winning the Superbowl.
The President is a fink.
January 11th, 2022 at 6:02:13 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine

AFAIC, the record keepers are going to put an asterisk* by records where there's any controversy. They'll do it where they think rules, drugs, sex, or anything else was a factor.

So, in an overall sense, I don't think it matters.

1.) It will only be a matter of time before people start arguing that there should not be an asterisk because they are, "Real women." That's the way it is. Fiction eventually becomes whatever reality that the Far Left wants it to be...it's no different than a religion.

2.) What you are saying doesn't matter on the track. The girl who came in third would stand in the third place spot on the podium and receive the third place trophy or plaque regardless of whether or not there is an asterisk in the books. Can you imagine being some high school girl who just wants to go out there and compete against other girls in your events and then someone comes out there and smokes you because he is a guy? I don't think you have any idea how demoralizing that would be and it's palpably unfair.

It would be like if I was playing city league basketball and one of the opposing teams brought in a ringer who played in the NBA for ten years...except worse in the track case because it's a solo event.
January 11th, 2022 at 6:05:37 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
That is not what is meant by subjective as I was explaining it and everyone here knows it. There are just a few ways to score in football. Touchdown, extra point, field goal, two point conversion, safety, and in college the one-point safety. Each is clearly defined. Yes, humans make the call and some are close, but it is by a clear way to score.

Subjective as I am discussing is like in figure skating or gymnastics. A judge gives you a score. They have parameters but they give a score, that is "subjective." The poster who first said all sports are subjective is just upset that I am against men competing in women's sports and thus is trying to divert the discussion.

Well, yeah, and if DPI gets called in the endzone and your team gets 1st and Goal from the 1, then scoring a Touchdown just became a whole lot easier.

My point is just that there's some subjectivity. I'm not arguing that the NFL is as subjective or more subjective than a sport where judges watch and then decide on what score they think a person should get; I'm just saying that almost no sport is totally objective.