The Amy Schneider thread

January 11th, 2022 at 8:26:44 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
There is a big size and muscle difference between males and females. Too big to be mixing in a physical game like football.

Sorry, but nothing will get me to change my position that girls should not be playing football with boys.

There's no need to apologize; your position is your position. While I do think there is an inherent athletic difference between the sexes, I will stipulate that some girls are built differently than other girls (some are larger and more muscular than some boys) and that some of the girls can play football just as safely, or more safely, than even some of the smallest boys on certain teams. I'm talking about amateur level football. I'm not talking about some 5'3 130lb female going up against NFL players and getting crushed.

Besides, my standard is that you either make the team on your athletic merit or you don't. Like you, I don't think there's anything that budges me from that position.

Quote:
Not being the worst is not really a high standard. I do not really watch NASCAR, not since you could no longer tell a Chevy from a Ford or Dodge. I have just heard that she was not great and caused a few crashes. That 6th is the best she ever did shows she was pretty average. Not that I care, as I said I do not watch races and from what little I have seen of her in person the vibe I get is she is not someone I'd want to chat up much.

It's not a high standard, but I would say it's sufficient to demonstrate that you belong competing. You say that she, "Never won a race," as though every single male to ever compete in NASCAR has...which isn't the case.

Here's an article specifically about the best NASCAR drivers to never win a race, in the opinion of the writer:

https://www.thesportster.com/racing/best-nascar-drivers-to-never-win-a-cup-race-and-unexpected-winners/

Which includes Dave Blaney...whose name I would recognize as being a NASCAR driver, but wouldn't really know anything about him other than he has been in many races.

Lots of drivers cause crashes, some do it deliberately...or as deliberately as they can get away with.

If she was, "Pretty average," or even close to, "Pretty average," then she belonged out there competing; that's my entire point. A girl/woman doesn't have to go out and compete against men and be a total world-beater to belong out there...what kind of standard is that? Nobody would apply that standard to male competitors. All a woman has to do is be worthy of competing by the same standards that would be applied to a man---why should the bar be higher than what it would be for a man? It shouldn't be higher or lower.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 11th, 2022 at 8:34:03 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
In traditional boxing they never determined the overall champion regardless of weight size, they always gave men weight classes. Fly weights didn't compete for the world championship against the heavyweight.

Why would you not make exceptions for women, when they did that for men?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 11th, 2022 at 8:43:59 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
In traditional boxing they never determined the overall champion regardless of weight size, they always gave men weight classes. Fly weights didn't compete for the world championship against the heavyweight.

I don't understand the question. I know they have weight classes in women's MMA and I would assume boxing is the same.

I'm also unsure if you're asking AZ or myself.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 11th, 2022 at 8:48:57 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
There is only one boxing champion
The heavyweight champion
Anybody can compete for THE title
Even a lightweight
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 11th, 2022 at 8:53:17 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Mission146
I don't understand the question. I know they have weight classes in women's MMA and I would assume boxing is the same.

I'm also unsure if you're asking AZ or myself.

Both neither. Why not weight classes in other sports? Why is it okay in fighting championships but not in football?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 11th, 2022 at 8:55:16 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: terapined
There is only one boxing champion
The heavyweight champion
Anybody can compete for THE title
Even a lightweight

Okay, I got that wrong then. But they still have other professional weight classes.
January 11th, 2022 at 9:13:58 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Both neither. Why not weight classes in other sports? Why is it okay in fighting championships but not in football?

At most levels, it would be difficult to field a weight-class based football team...when you consider there are eleven per side even ignoring specialties. Beyond that, you have different builds and talent sets that are more suited for different positions.

Simply put, to have weight classes in football simply wouldn't make any sense and would result in really bad football.
January 11th, 2022 at 9:16:58 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Because they are not men.
The President is a fink.
January 11th, 2022 at 9:30:31 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mission146
At most levels, it would be difficult to field a weight-class based football team..

Nope
I played organized junior football as a 12 year old
There was a weight limit
I remember 1 out of town game where everyone had to pass the scale test.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 11th, 2022 at 9:53:37 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: terapined
Nope
I played organized junior football as a 12 year old
There was a weight limit
I remember 1 out of town game where everyone had to pass the scale test.

Yeah, but I'm not talking about a weight limit; I'm talking about literally fielding multiple teams based on weight classes. If you look at rural and semi-rural middle schools, many of them flirt with having to consolidate multiple schools into a team due to inability to field a full team using everyone who wants to play.