Ukraine conflict

February 12th, 2022 at 1:09:49 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: missedhervee
Mother Nature might breathe a sigh of relief were humanity to annihilate itself via nuclear holocaust.

Since the rise of man Nature has gone to hell in a handbasket.

Massive extinction of once prevalent species;

Poisoning the environment via various forms of pollution;

Global warming.

We suck.

Well mammals have all the brain look how we talked the comet into hitting earth and taking out the dinosaurs. That was our best hit took out 90% of the species in one shot ;-) That is why you are a lefty you just like being controlled. Oh the horror of it all, humans control everything and are killing the world. As one our members once said "the earth will be fine it will shake us off like a bunch of fleas".
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 12th, 2022 at 1:30:41 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Not surprisngly, you missed the point.

No other animal has ever come close to doing the damage to its world that we have.

And we're the only one with "sentience."

Nature prefers non-sentience; it's a real fluke that we ever evolved.

And no, I am not a "lefty:" I vote libertarian, not democrat, and I do not support the progressive arm of the democrats.

Please make a note of it.
February 12th, 2022 at 5:02:19 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Not surprisngly, you missed the point.

No other animal has ever come close to doing the damage to its world that we have.

And we're the only one with "sentience."

Nature prefers non-sentience; it's a real fluke that we ever evolved.

And no, I am not a "lefty:" I vote libertarian, not democrat, and I do not support the progressive arm of the democrats.

Please make a note of it.

Not surprisingly you also missed my point.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 13th, 2022 at 4:29:19 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
No other animal has ever come close to doing the damage to its world that we have.And we're the only one with "sentience."

It's the 6th mass extinction.

Quote: American Museum of Natural History
Mass extinctions—when at least half of all species die out in a relatively short time—have occurred only a handful of times over the course of our planet's history. The largest mass extinction event happened around 250 million years ago, when perhaps 95 percent of all species went extinct.

Top Five Extinctions
Ordovician-silurian Extinction: 440 million years ago
Small marine organisms died out.

Devonian Extinction: 365 million years ago
Many tropical marine species went extinct.

Permian-triassic Extinction: 250 million years ago
The largest mass extinction event in Earth's history affected a range of species, including many vertebrates.

Triassic-jurassic Extinction: 210 million years ago
The extinction of other vertebrate species on land allowed dinosaurs to flourish.

Cretaceous-tertiary Extinction: 65 Million Years Ago
What to Call It?
Scientists refer to the major extinction that wiped out nonavian dinosaurs as the K-T extinction, because it happened at the end of the Cretaceous period and the beginning of the Tertiary period. Why not C-T? Geologists use "K" as a shorthand for Cretaceous. "C" is shorthand for an earlier period, the Cambrian.

Dawn of a New Age
The extinction that occurred 65 million years ago wiped out some 50 percent of plants and animals. The event is so striking that it signals a major turning point in Earth's history, marking the end of the geologic period known as the Cretaceous and the beginning of the Tertiary period.
February 15th, 2022 at 8:14:47 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I keep hearing (mostly Republicans AFAICT) that we should start imposing penalties. As far as I know, Russians are free to move their troops to their border just like any country.

Unless it's a violation of some treaty/agreement it would just give Putin a legitimate reason to point out being wronged and perhaps more justification to invade.

I don't know if he's going to invade or leave but I guess he sees no point of giving his play away until the last minute.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 15th, 2022 at 9:21:32 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Allegedly Putin has agreed to not invading until after the Winter Olympics so as not to be disrespectful to China. In exchange, China, I mean the IOC, is allowing the Russian figure skater to compete, because, you know, she accidentally took her grandfathers medications.
February 15th, 2022 at 11:27:30 AM permalink
missedhervee
Putin: "Will he or won't he invade?" worries the west, gnashing our collective teeth all the while.

Meanwhile a chess player of Boris Spassky's caliber moves the chess pieces for Russian, while being opposed by ... uncle Joe?

Hey Joe, the game is chess, not checkers.
February 15th, 2022 at 1:08:52 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
President Biden’s speech today was better than most of his speeches by a long shot. He was specific and on point.

We will see how it works out…
February 15th, 2022 at 3:27:18 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
I keep hearing (mostly Republicans AFAICT) that we should start imposing penalties. As far as I know, Russians are free to move their troops to their border just like any country.

Unless it's a violation of some treaty/agreement it would just give Putin a legitimate reason to point out being wronged and perhaps more justification to invade.

I don't know if he's going to invade or leave but I guess he sees no point of giving his play away until the last minute.

Of course, he is free to, and neighboring countries are free to monitor and evaluate that action. Especially when he has a history of sudden annexations.

Its like this game that I play, Civilization 5 (better than 6), when you are playing against AI, and you start accumulating military units along an adjoining border they will start to send messages (Paraphrasing) , "Hey I hope you are not planning to attack my territory before you declare war, that would be troubling", and if you invade before declaring you get a larger warmonger penalty than declaring war first and every civilization will hate you for the rest of the game.

This is actually a pretty good representation of real life. People get alarmed when there are troops on the border (especially more than usual), and get more alarmed (and then outraged) if action is taken without a formal declaration. Plenty of examples in recent memory and history of such scenarios.
February 15th, 2022 at 3:53:37 PM permalink
missedhervee
I find it quite disturbing that major powers still feel constrained to engage in wars of conquest.

Given nuclear proliferation any aggression could result in world annihilation.

What fools these mortals be!