Storage unit versus PODS

Page 1 of 212>
February 22nd, 2022 at 10:20:28 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
What I need to do is clear my house of a lot of junk to remodel it. I really need to get rid of a lot of furniture so I can paint, carpet, etc., without moving stuff around too much. I just don't want to lift it all into a UHAUL and do it all in one day and I don't want to lift anything up or make 30 trips in my pickup truck or car. So PODs sound like an AP move(didn't Nathan say this?) but I'm hesitant about the cost. They're not really transparent in pricing so I can't experiment. I'll pay more a month,
then can reduce my storage needs. I'm so overwhelmed with stuff which isn't mine and left by inheritance from my mom and dad I don't even want to touch it. They hoarded some things and it's too much.
February 23rd, 2022 at 2:48:15 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
What I need to do is clear my house of a lot of junk to remodel it. I really need to get rid of a lot of furniture so I can paint, carpet, etc., without moving stuff around too much. I just don't want to lift it all into a UHAUL and do it all in one day and I don't want to lift anything up or make 30 trips in my pickup truck or car. So PODs sound like an AP move(didn't Nathan say this?) but I'm hesitant about the cost. They're not really transparent in pricing so I can't experiment. I'll pay more a month,
then can reduce my storage needs. I'm so overwhelmed with stuff which isn't mine and left by inheritance from my mom and dad I don't even want to touch it. They hoarded some things and it's too much.

I looked at PODS for my cross country move years ago. They are not cheap. You might just want to hire a mover who can store your stuff to move it out then move it back.
The President is a fink.
February 23rd, 2022 at 3:58:09 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

If you don't use it or its not worth handing down to next generation, sell it.
I inherited a ton of stuff
Eventually sold just about everything including the house.
Just own my truck and a RV.
If I don't use it, I don't take it with me
Have a storage locker
Just 35 bucks a month
Bargain
I keep all my Chinese hand carved furniture there to hand down to my nephews
I want experience life. Not be held back by owning stuff.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 23rd, 2022 at 5:49:50 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
I looked at PODS for my cross country move years ago. They are not cheap. You might just want to hire a mover who can store your stuff to move it out then move it back.

I used U-Haul's version of PODS for my move as it was way cheaper. The box was small but suited my needs. I moved out of a 3200 sqft house and only took one box.

https://www.uhaul.com/UBox/
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 23rd, 2022 at 5:53:55 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Also, research your local costs, IE some cities require a weekly or monthly permit if you want to keep a POD in your yard for more than 24 hours (which can raise the monthly cost).

I think PODS cost about 150-300 a month for just storage (if it is just sitting at your property, not being picked up or delivered to another location) per unit (varies by company). So if you need multiple units, it can get pricey, especially if you also need a permit per unit. (Also some cities will not even allow them to stay over 30 days or make it more expensive if they do).

If you are planning a multi-month project it's probably cheaper just to get a storage unit, since the monthly cost will be less than even one POD (let alone if you are talking about multiple PODS). Of course the downside is you may be locked into a lease for a period of time.
February 23rd, 2022 at 6:40:24 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Super cheap

Buy a decent hand cart, and easy to move and cram stuff into one room while they work on another. Or put it in the garage and keep the car in the driveway.

Or add
buy some heavy duty large tarps, get a bunch wooden pallets, stack everything in the back yard on them cover it up and secure the tarps over it.

(depends on weather, neighbors whether this will work for you, and just how long you will have it out there.)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 23rd, 2022 at 11:47:20 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Quote: rxwine
Super cheap

Buy a decent hand cart, and easy to move and cram stuff into one room while they work on another. Or put it in the garage and keep the car in the driveway.

Or add
buy some heavy duty large tarps, get a bunch wooden pallets, stack everything in the back yard on them cover it up and secure the tarps over it.

(depends on weather, neighbors whether this will work for you, and just how long you will have it out there.)

I'd want to do this, but it will probably be my own friends helping and if I don't clear at least 2/3 bedrooms, it will never get done. If it were going to be nice and dry, I'd do something like this moving things into the backyard and I think it's too risky. Something will go wrong. We just had a ton of snow and the ground is super wet after the snow melted.
February 23rd, 2022 at 11:48:30 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Quote: Gandler
Also, research your local costs, IE some cities require a weekly or monthly permit if you want to keep a POD in your yard for more than 24 hours (which can raise the monthly cost).

I think PODS cost about 150-300 a month for just storage (if it is just sitting at your property, not being picked up or delivered to another location) per unit (varies by company). So if you need multiple units, it can get pricey, especially if you also need a permit per unit. (Also some cities will not even allow them to stay over 30 days or make it more expensive if they do).

If you are planning a multi-month project it's probably cheaper just to get a storage unit, since the monthly cost will be less than even one POD (let alone if you are talking about multiple PODS). Of course the downside is you may be locked into a lease for a period of time.

Shoot, a good reason to not get one. Nixed. Unfortunately it looks like wasting time rather than money is the best option this time.
February 23rd, 2022 at 11:49:49 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Quote: AZDuffman
I would but I'm too afraid of theft. I barely know what's in here to even know what might get stolen or damaged.
February 23rd, 2022 at 2:59:49 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I would but I'm too afraid of theft. I barely know what's in here to even know what might get stolen or damaged.

A good pro mover tags and maifests every item.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 212>