Work school

Page 4 of 6<123456>
February 25th, 2022 at 11:22:34 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: kenarman
You do realize that the US is only 40th on the list of countries by literacy.

Oh yes, I know it is around there (I trust your source, that sounds right). 88% I believe is the stat and 40ish sounds right.

Which is why people don't realize how important literacy rates are, we have yet to cross 90% unlike many developed countries.... This is a much more critical short term goal than increases percentage of B.A degrees.
February 25th, 2022 at 1:00:49 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Gandler
Oh yes, I know it is around there (I trust your source, that sounds right). 88% I believe is the stat and 40ish sounds right.

Which is why people don't realize how important literacy rates are, we have yet to cross 90% unlike many developed countries.... This is a much more critical short term goal than increases percentage of B.A degrees.

I still disagree with you.

Quote:
Education in North Korea is universal and state-funded schooling by the government. The self-reported national literacy rate for citizens at age of 15 and older is 100 percent (approx.).

Granted, literacy gets you out of the stone age.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 25th, 2022 at 1:19:09 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
I think it is more likley that Trump is illiterate than it is that Obama was born in Kenya. (I would also bet almost anything Obama has a higher GPA than Trump in undergrad, Trump never want to grad school so that cannot be compared).

Who cares what their GPAs were? Who cares about grad school? Trump went out into the real world and Obama hid from it in academia and government.

Quote:
However, my main point which is getting more pushback than it should, because it is self-evident, is that literacy is a better metric than higher education to determine the stability, saftey, and wellness of a country.

I really don't care if Trump is illiterate, or whoever graduated college with what GPA (other than to show fallacies in using that as a primary argument), I care more about the overall stats of a country, and for that literacy is what matters.

Higher education indeed is not the thing to look at. However, to the left it is the most important thing.
The President is a fink.
February 25th, 2022 at 1:43:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman

Higher education indeed is not the thing to look at. However, to the left it is the most important thing.

It wasn't dullards who gave us cohesive ideas of Democracy. It wasn't the least educated in Greece or anywhere else for that matter. And they often practiced one of the least employable disciplines and considered useless by some: Philosophy. Granted it wasn't dullards who also came up with communism. But you get the good and the bad , the yin and yang with thought.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 25th, 2022 at 1:47:05 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
It wasn't dullards who gave us cohesive ideas of Democracy. It wasn't the least educated in Greece or anywhere else for that matter. And they often practiced one of the least employable disciplines and considered useless by some: Philosophy. Granted it wasn't dullards who also came up with communism. But you get the good and the bad , the yin and yang with thought.

It is also not dullards who know how to keep your car running. How to wire and plumb your house. How to fit pipes for that skyscraper. That drive the trucks carrying hazardous roads. That manage the farms that provide the food you eat. And so on.
The President is a fink.
February 25th, 2022 at 1:55:39 PM permalink
rxwine
It is also not dullards who know how to keep your car running. How to wire and plumb your house. How to fit pipes for that skyscraper. That drive the trucks carrying hazardous roads. That manage the farms that provide the food you eat. And so on.

Yeah, but I never set out to devalue blue collar work like you try to devalue higher education. I just have to keep making the point that both are important.
February 25th, 2022 at 2:09:44 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Yeah, but I never set out to devalue blue collar work like you try to devalue higher education. I just have to keep making the point that both are important.

I do not devalue higher education. I devalue fake higher education. Degrees that have no real world value. I also devalue going to college to "find yourself."
The President is a fink.
February 25th, 2022 at 2:24:18 PM permalink
rxwine
I do not devalue higher education. I devalue fake higher education. Degrees that have no real world value. I also devalue going to college to "find yourself."

Maybe go to Trump University. Oh sorry, it got sued for being a scam, fake education, false promises.
February 25th, 2022 at 3:00:52 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Maybe go to Trump University. Oh sorry, it got sued for being a scam, fake education, false promises.

That was a real estate investment course. Anyone who would confuse it with a university would be of very low common sense.
The President is a fink.
February 25th, 2022 at 3:35:13 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Who cares what their GPAs were? Who cares about grad school? Trump went out into the real world and Obama hid from it in academia and government.

I agree with all of that, just pointing out the raw hypocrisy of Trump demanding that Obama release his transcripts as if Trump has a higher GPA....

I still disagree with you.

Granted, literacy gets you out of the stone age.

I stand by my point that if we are able to raise the literacy rate to the 90s it will do far more societal change than increasing the Americans with undergrad degrees to 40% (the next major benchmark, its in the 30s now). 2-4% of change in literacy will dramatically improve out country, a 5-8% change in undergrad degrees will not change anything.

If/when America hits 95% literacy, the country will be completely changed beyond our wildest imagination. Think of the people born in the 1890s, and think of how different the world was by 1930. In 40 years, the country transformed to something that would look like it was out of a scifi novel a few decades ago. And, this was because of the growth of literacy and technological innovations that made less people needed for farms and factories (and hence easier for people to have time to learn to read and educate).

Agricultural innovation is what drives most things in the very grand scheme of things (the more of your population that is required to accumulate food, the less your population can grow in other fields. This is why hunter gatherer societies (and yes there still are some in 2022), have virtually no literacy, and 100% of the population is used for food production (because they cannot even farm so days are spent hunting or finding produce in the wild). There is some formula that I am too lazy to look up, but the less population needed for food production in a society, to more advanced it becomes (this is why Europeans were so far advanced compared to Native Americans during colonization, because they did not even have domesticated animals). However, literacy is still a great metric to gauge agricultural innovation. Strong agriculture and strong literacy leads to success in virtually every other metric that you have spoke of.
Page 4 of 6<123456>