Is Covid over?

August 27th, 2022 at 5:38:58 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
Don't imagine you read the Vanity Fair investigative report I linked. Of course it is not up to the level of Wiki.

It's an old story. Written many months ago. She really hasn't updated it since.
Let's say the article is true
What a brilliant strategy
Have all the dangerous research conducted on the other side of the planet
Let China take all the risks while we reap the rewards
It's possible
Katherine Eban does have my respect unlike Tyler Durden
I'm still suspicious because MSM is a business and Dr Evil stories get eyeballs.
I still defer to Wikipedia as the final arbitor regarding Covid facts.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 27th, 2022 at 6:28:25 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
It's an old story. Written many months ago. She really hasn't updated it since.
Let's say the article is true
What a brilliant strategy
Have all the dangerous research conducted on the other side of the planet
Let China take all the risks while we reap the rewards
It's possible
Katherine Eban does have my respect unlike Tyler Durden
I'm still suspicious because MSM is a business and Dr Evil stories get eyeballs.
I still defer to Wikipedia as the final arbitor regarding Covid facts.

Wiki is found to be 80% or less accurate by studies. Universities don't allow students to use Wiki as a source in their papers. Anyone can change the content on a Wiki page at any time. Wiki has been found to be left leaning. But you feel it is the most accurate source on Covid. I could say that your position is unfathomable but you have shown time after time that facts are irrelevant to your political positions.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 27th, 2022 at 7:29:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Tanko
A study claims the covid vaccines saved an estimated 20 million lives in the first year.

Trump suspected Pfizer deliberately delayed the announcement that their covid vaccine was 91% effective, until six days after the election.

'Nate Silver: ‘Liberal elites’ pressured Pfizer to delay vaccine until after 2020 election'

If that is true, a delay of even one month could have cost two million lives.

That was only part of the plan. We wanted Trumpers to doubt the vaccine and believe in hydroxychloroquine.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 28th, 2022 at 1:14:08 AM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
MSM is meaningless to me
Facts are what counts
Sometimes MSM does report facts.
Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong
MSM is meaningless
Facts are meaningful
Wikipedia article regarding covid misinformation is full of facts.
That's what counts
Facts.
According to wiki, the lab story is BS
I'll go with Wikipedia and Facts all day vs MSM
If Wikipedia changes due to new facts, my opinion will of course change.
I go where the facts take me and of course will consider new facts

We found a Wikipedia cultist. You literally said you’ll change your opinion only if Wikipedia changes, not if there are different facts.
August 28th, 2022 at 4:58:37 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Wiki is found to be 80% or less accurate by studies. Universities don't allow students to use Wiki as a source in their papers. Anyone can change the content on a Wiki page at any time. Wiki has been found to be left leaning. But you feel it is the most accurate source on Covid. I could say that your position is unfathomable but you have shown time after time that facts are irrelevant to your political positions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_misinformation
Which fact is wrong???????
Subjects such as Covid misinformation and scientology are watched very closely
Scientology absolutely hates wiki
I'm somewhat of a scientology expert living near their superpowers building for 2 decades
Their long long article is spot on
The really impresses me
I love Wikipedia
If they got facts wrong on their covid misinformation page, it would actually make the news
Come on Kern, make some news :-)

The consensus among virologists is that the most likely origin of the SARS-CoV-2 virus to be natural crossover from animals, having spilled-over into the human population from bats, possibly through an intermediate animal host, although the exact transmission pathway has not been determined.[33][34][35][36][37] genomic evidence suggests an ancestor virus of SARS-CoV-2 originated in horseshoe bats.[34]

An alternative hypothesis under investigation, deemed unlikely by the majority of virologists given a lack of evidence, is that the virus may have accidentally escaped from the Wuhan Institute of Virology in the course of standard research.[35][38] A poll in July 2021 found that 52% of US adults believe COVID-19 escaped from a lab.[39]

Unsubstantiated speculation and conspiracy theories related to this topic have gained popularity during the pandemic. Common conspiracy theories state that the virus was intentionally engineered, either as a bio-weapon or to profit from the sale of vaccines. According to the World Health Organization, genetic manipulation has been ruled out by genomic analysis.[40][35][41] Many other origin stories have also been told, ranging from claims of secret plots by political opponents to a conspiracy theory about mobile phones. The Pew Research Center found, for example, that one in three Americans believed the new coronavirus had been created in a lab; one in four thought it had been engineered intentionally.[42] The spread of these conspiracy theories is magnified through mutual distrust and animosity, as well as nationalism and the use of propaganda campaigns for political purposes.[43]

The promotion of misinformation has been used by American far-right groups such as QAnon, by rightwing outlets such as Fox News, by former US President Donald Trump and also other prominent Republicans to stoke anti-China sentiments,[44][45][42] and has led to increased anti-Asian activity on social media and in the real world.[46] This has also resulted in the bullying of scientists and public health officials, both online and in-person,[53] fueled by a highly political and oftentimes toxic debate on many issues.[34][54] Such spread of misinformation and conspiracy theories has the potential to negatively affect public health and diminish trust in governments and medical professionals.[55]

The resurgence of the lab leak and other theories was fueled in part by the publication, in May 2021, of early emails between National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) director Anthony Fauci and scientists discussing the issue. Per the emails in question, Kristian Andersen (author of one study debunking genomic manipulation theories) had heavily considered the possibility, and emailed Fauci proposing possible mechanisms, before ruling out deliberate manipulation with deeper technical analysis.[56][57] These emails were later misconstrued and used by critics to claim a conspiracy was occurring.[58][59] However, despite claims to the contrary in some US newspapers, no new evidence has surfaced to support any theory of a laboratory accident, and the majority of peer-reviewed research points to a natural origin. This parallels previous outbreaks of novel diseases, such as HIV, SARS and H1N1, which have also been the subject of allegations of laboratory origin.[60]
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 28th, 2022 at 6:11:42 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_misinformation
Which fact is wrong???????
Subjects such as Covid misinformation and scientology are watched very closely
Scientology absolutely hates wiki
I'm somewhat of a scientology expert living near their superpowers building for 2 decades
Their long long article is spot on
The really impresses me
I love Wikipedia
If they got facts wrong on their covid misinformation page, it would actually make the news
Come on Kern, make some news :-)

The consensus among virologists is that the most likely origin of the SARS-CoV-2 virus to be natural crossover from animals, having spilled-over into the human population from bats, possibly through an intermediate animal host, although the exact transmission pathway has not been determined.[33][34][35][36][37] genomic evidence suggests an ancestor virus of SARS-CoV-2 originated in horseshoe bats.[34]

An alternative hypothesis under investigation, deemed unlikely by the majority of virologists given a lack of evidence, is that the virus may have accidentally escaped from the Wuhan Institute of Virology in the course of standard research.[35][38] A poll in July 2021 found that 52% of US adults believe COVID-19 escaped from a lab.[39]

Unsubstantiated speculation and conspiracy theories related to this topic have gained popularity during the pandemic. Common conspiracy theories state that the virus was intentionally engineered, either as a bio-weapon or to profit from the sale of vaccines. According to the World Health Organization, genetic manipulation has been ruled out by genomic analysis.[40][35][41] Many other origin stories have also been told, ranging from claims of secret plots by political opponents to a conspiracy theory about mobile phones. The Pew Research Center found, for example, that one in three Americans believed the new coronavirus had been created in a lab; one in four thought it had been engineered intentionally.[42] The spread of these conspiracy theories is magnified through mutual distrust and animosity, as well as nationalism and the use of propaganda campaigns for political purposes.[43]

The promotion of misinformation has been used by American far-right groups such as QAnon, by rightwing outlets such as Fox News, by former US President Donald Trump and also other prominent Republicans to stoke anti-China sentiments,[44][45][42] and has led to increased anti-Asian activity on social media and in the real world.[46] This has also resulted in the bullying of scientists and public health officials, both online and in-person,[53] fueled by a highly political and oftentimes toxic debate on many issues.[34][54] Such spread of misinformation and conspiracy theories has the potential to negatively affect public health and diminish trust in governments and medical professionals.[55]

The resurgence of the lab leak and other theories was fueled in part by the publication, in May 2021, of early emails between National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) director Anthony Fauci and scientists discussing the issue. Per the emails in question, Kristian Andersen (author of one study debunking genomic manipulation theories) had heavily considered the possibility, and emailed Fauci proposing possible mechanisms, before ruling out deliberate manipulation with deeper technical analysis.[56][57] These emails were later misconstrued and used by critics to claim a conspiracy was occurring.[58][59] However, despite claims to the contrary in some US newspapers, no new evidence has surfaced to support any theory of a laboratory accident, and the majority of peer-reviewed research points to a natural origin. This parallels previous outbreaks of novel diseases, such as HIV, SARS and H1N1, which have also been the subject of allegations of laboratory origin.[60]
Wikipedia is very good on topics that have no reason to attract vandalism or partisanship, and not so good when it does attract these. It can definitely be partisan

In the matter of covid/NIH/chinese research, you have to imagine Fauci and others going "oh my God that could have been a lab escape, it started in Wuhan!" These people did an excellent job of getting out ahead of this and claimed that it was a wet market phenomenon based, pay attention here, ON NO FACTS AT ALL, which Terrapin usually demands, he says. Now let's see if we can collectively remember when we the general public even knew Fauci/NIH was involved with that Chinese lab. I am going to say it was months. Months! In the meantime they got the Media well trained. It pained the various talking heads to even suggest some sorry SOB somewhere was now bringing up this inconvenient matter.

The Wikipedia article you keep citing does a lot of good debunking. When it comes to Fauci/NIH, though, all they can say is that each point has been denied by the same people. This is like citing the latest criminal who gets charged saying " well, he denies it, that's the end of the story". There is one step up from that if you can say the NIH or Fauci don't lie. Meanwhile, we do know that they are not completely transparent. So their continued denial for me has to be taken with a grain of salt

Yes I think this is a case where you can't say Wikipedia is just relating the facts
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 28th, 2022 at 6:39:39 AM permalink
rxwine
I don't know the probability of a lab created virus vs a naturally occurring one. But...it's like it's not improbable or anything.

Quote:
Biologists estimate that 380 trillion viruses are living on and inside your body right now.

-
-
-
-
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 28th, 2022 at 9:00:16 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
I don't know the probability of a lab created virus vs a naturally occurring one. But...it's like it's not improbable or anything.

-
-
-
-

Of course we have the piece of DNA coding that is extremely unlikely to have occured naturally. This fact is now being erased from the records by the Chinese and US. No that isn't suspicious at all. If you didn't pay attention to this little fact when it first came out early in the pandemic you can read all about it in the Vanity Fair article from March of this year that I linked to further up in this thread.

If you don't like that piece, find the interview earlier this year with the lead investigator from WHO that was at the lab. He was blocked from any meaningful investigation and was under extreme pressure from the Chinese to not even mention the possibility the virus came from the lab. It took a day of very stressful negotiation for China to accept the wording "unlikely to have come from the lab".
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 28th, 2022 at 9:32:49 AM permalink
rxwine
Of course we have the piece of DNA coding that is extremely unlikely to have occured naturally. This fact is now being erased from the records by the Chinese and US. No that isn't suspicious at all. If you didn't pay attention to this little fact when it first came out early in the pandemic you can read all about it in the Vanity Fair article from March of this year that I linked to further up in this thread.

If you don't like that piece, find the interview earlier this year with the lead investigator from WHO that was at the lab. He was blocked from any meaningful investigation and was under extreme pressure from the Chinese to not even mention the possibility the virus came from the lab. It took a day of very stressful negotiation for China to accept the wording "unlikely to have come from the lab".

We don't know the origin of Ebola even though it's been infecting people for decades, and it took 20 years to figure out the origin of HIV.

It might seem like a slam dunk to you because China is opaque about it, but China lacks transparency across the board.

It's apparent plenty people try to sabotage the facts due to political whims. As of now, I don't think anything is definitely determined.
August 28th, 2022 at 10:09:56 AM permalink
rxwine
Btw, I’m fully in favor of continuing investigation. Like terapined, I have no problem throwing anyone under the bus for malfeasance.