Is Covid over?

December 1st, 2022 at 3:22:47 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I don't have COVID (though I initially thought that I did), but I have the Flu (Flu A) now, and I do of course have had my annual Flu Shot since September. It's honestly worse than COVID (I do not know the last time I have had a Flu, probably as a young kid, and its just as crappy as I remember).

This has not been a good year for me to air travel, I only have twice (which is low for me), and both times I ended up with diseases lol.....
December 1st, 2022 at 3:37:15 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: Gandler
I don't have COVID (though I initially thought that I did), but I have the Flu (Flu A) now, and I do of course have had my annual Flu Shot since September. It's honestly worse than COVID (I do not know the last time I have had a Flu, probably as a young kid, and its just as crappy as I remember).

This has not been a good year for me to air travel, I only have twice (which is low for me), and both times I ended up with diseases lol.....

Get well soon.
All that social distancing and masking subdued flu for a couple of years. That made it tough for the pharma industry to model the prominent variant for a vaccine.
December 1st, 2022 at 4:03:29 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: OnceDear
Get well soon.
All that social distancing and masking subdued flu for a couple of years. That made it tough for the pharma industry to model the prominent variant for a vaccine.

Thanks, that is actually a good theory, and may make sense why the Flu Season is apparently so bad right now.
December 1st, 2022 at 5:00:35 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Gandler

I regularly get the Flu shot and I still get the flu about once a year but it is very mild and over in 2 or 3 days. Before getting the Flu shot I would get the Flu twice a year and be down 7 to 10 days each time.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 2nd, 2022 at 10:46:29 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
Thanksgiving was 5 days ago and my wife has to use two hands to count the number of people in her immediate family that are testing positive for covid. I did nothing for Thanksgiving because I'm not an idiot. My wife wanted me to go to Bob Evans with her and I said are you kidding me? She's glad now that we didn't go. A couple of those people in her family are really really sick because covid hasn't gone anywhere the media just doesn't talk about it anymore. There's a reason the Biden Administration wants to bring back mask mandates because they know what's going on but they're not saying anything. There's a reason they keep extending the National Health Emergency for covid, it's now been extended to next April. I have left the house exactly twice for the entire month of November. Went to see my brother in a nursing home on November 2nd, and I had to go to the hardware store for fuses on November 16th. That's it. I might not go anywhere for the rest of the year. I wised up in September and bought enough dry cat food and wet cat food to last me till next March. I also bought a couple cases of liquor, 1.75 L bottles. That should last me well into next year.
I just had a er visit for an acute COPD exacerbation, holy hell. Several hours of blood work and tests and breathing treatments and waiting. Meanwhile, in our small hospital, patient after patient continued rolling by coming in steady one after another. I was glad to get the results [sort of] that after being tested for Covid, rsv, and influenza and pneumonia, those were all negative. When I was discharged 7 hours later with some scripts, there were 25 people still waiting in the er waiting room hoping for a bed. I couldn't believe how sick the folks being rolled in were, and mostly old. Probably sno birds? But I don't understand why they waited so long, getting this sick before going in to the hospital? Maybe they were Canadians or something without insurance? Glad I have Medicare and AARP, or this would have been a really expensive 7 hours. The attending Doctor did encourage me that that is exactly why we have ambulances is for people like me, that they can start treating on the way to the hospital.

Bob, I'm wondering if you can give us an update on your wife's family. Those folks are all vaccinated and IDK, if boosted plus flu shots, IIRC? Anyone in the hospital or worse or better? Stay safe. I to am prescribed to stay away from groups by my primary care. The hospital here has lost so many staff the one's remaining are being run to death. They are all masking. My Doc said the germs are so big in this little hospital that they crawl down the hallways.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 2nd, 2022 at 11:16:34 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
I

Bob, I'm wondering if you can give us an update on your wife's family. Those folks are all vaccinated and IDK, if boosted plus flu shots, IIRC? s.

They were all vaccinated originally as far as boosters I have no idea. I have never been much of a social person and usually don't go anywhere anyway unless I have to. So being at home all the time doesn't bother me at all, I live in a really old house that needs constant work anyway. Always something to do. I have a 20 ft concrete tunnel that runs off of my basement it is completely underground that would make the perfect wine cellar. So that's my latest project, looking forward to it. The tunnel is there because there used to be a water well at the end of it. This is what they did in the old days to keep the well from freezing in the winter, they built well pits and tunnels. It's pretty cool actually, how many people have 20 foot tunnels running off their basement.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 2nd, 2022 at 11:20:54 AM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
I think I recall earlier in this thread AMS said he again only had a sore arm from the bivalent booster.

I’m so jealous of those people, I’ve been getting just absolutely destroyed starting 10 hours after for about 24 hours every time #2 through 4.

Got it at 11:00 am Wednesday, slept maybe 1.5 hours alternating between sweating under covers and convulsing chills all night. Slightly better but completely worthless lying in bed all day yesterday chills every time I got up, only consumed 15 calories of chicken broth between after lunch Wednesday and this morning, had trouble keeping that down. Completely fine this morning after finally being able to get some decent sleep.
December 2nd, 2022 at 11:36:25 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: DRich
I regularly get the Flu shot and I still get the flu about once a year but it is very mild and over in 2 or 3 days. Before getting the Flu shot I would get the Flu twice a year and be down 7 to 10 days each time.

Same as you, I rarely miss any vaccines for years now. Not much reaction from shots.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 2nd, 2022 at 11:52:18 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rquiredusername
I think I recall earlier in this thread AMS said he again only had a sore arm from the bivalent booster.

I’m so jealous of those people, I’ve been getting just absolutely destroyed starting 10 hours after for about 24 hours every time #2 through 4.

Got it at 11:00 am Wednesday, slept maybe 1.5 hours alternating between sweating under covers and convulsing chills all night. Slightly better but completely worthless lying in bed all day yesterday chills every time I got up, only consumed 15 calories of chicken broth between after lunch Wednesday and this morning, had trouble keeping that down. Completely fine this morning after finally being able to get some decent sleep.

Tip of the hat to requiredusername
Kudos for taking the tough road to insure survival
I've only had 2 shots
1st shot was the one and done with no issues
My booster had me a bit sick but just for a day
Being a retired RVer, my exposure to any virus or flu is minimal.
Back when I worked, 100% of illnesses was from catching something at work
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 2nd, 2022 at 2:14:53 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25