Mexico Trivia

Page 2 of 2<12
May 4th, 2022 at 9:33:11 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
Me and Drich are very proud of the fact that we don't know the answer to a single one of these. Maybe Spanish is the official language of Mexico, that would be the only one that I would know. Full name of Mexico, could it be Armpit of North America? Just a guess. Last time I was in Mexico was 1979 in Tijuana and it was a giant armpit.

I hope Nareed doesn't lurk and see that.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 5th, 2022 at 3:36:17 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
would be interested to know the answers

as for Morocco, is that name derived from the Moors?

and it is directly across from the rock of G, which was traditionally Spain's till a war ... 7 yrs war I think no, after reflection probably a Napoleonic war

I am surprised on that one. for a hint, is it in North Africa at all?

PS, for Mexico language ... trick question?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 5th, 2022 at 6:48:05 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: odiousgambit
would be interested to know the answers

as for Morocco, is that name derived from the Moors?

and it is directly across from the rock of G, which was traditionally Spain's till a war ... 7 yrs war I think no, after reflection probably a Napoleonic war

I am surprised on that one. for a hint, is it in North Africa at all?

PS, for Mexico language ... trick question?

Moors refer to Muslims who invaded Europe specifically (for Spain) the Iberian Peninsula. I don't think Morrocco is related to them (at least directly).

The rock of G is complicated, Spain lost it to the Moors speaking of them and it was kind of turned into an Islamic Holy site, and much later to UK (but well before Napolean), but during Napoleanic War, UK and Spain were allies (basically). And, it has been British controlled ever since even with being in the Middle of World Wars and massive European conflicts (including Naploeanic).
May 5th, 2022 at 6:49:38 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Wizard
Quote: Gandler
I'll take a stab at 11 as I have been doing some reading on Spain's Colonial and Military History.

Spain's African Colonies used to be Spanish Guinea, which after independence presumably became what we today call "New Guinea" I believe.

-Edit to Clarify- Which would be my guess for which African Country has Spanish as their legal language : "New Guinea".

I'm afraid not on either one. New Guinea is an island above Australia, as you may know from your Risk board. Good try on the language, but I'm afraid not. Partial credit for the effort.

Wow I had that totally wrong in my head, wrong continent apparantly.
(I like that risk board style as an offhand comment).
May 5th, 2022 at 8:39:55 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

1. What is the day Mexico celebrates its independence from Spain? - September 19th when the grito was made (I am not sure of exact day)
  2. What is the official language of Mexico? - No official language
  3. What is the name of the organization that oversees the Spanish Language? Instituto Cervantes
  4. What do these words have in common: el alfombra (carpet), la almendra (almond), and la almohada (pillow). - All words from Arabic
  5. What is the largest pyramid in the world? - I forgot the name, but it is outside of Puebla at Cholula
  6. What is the full name of Mexico? - United States of Mexico
  7. What is the oldest university in North America? - Not sure
  8. What state in Mexico is named after a dog? - Chihuahua
  9. What is depicted on the coat of arms in the middle of the flag of Mexico? - An Eagle eating a serpent
  10. The words Tomato, chocolate, and avocado are originally from which language? - Nahuatl (Aztec language)
  11. What is the only country to have Spanish as an official language in Africa? - Gambia
  12. Where did the Virgin Mary make an appearance in Mexico? - I should remember the name of this field, but I don't

I got independence day wrong, but only by a few days.

I did get the African country wrong as there are almost 2 dozen countries in West Africa.

I should have remembered the neighborhood containing the "Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe" as I have visited there.
Page 2 of 2<12