Supreme Court strikes down Roe v. Wade?

Page 2 of 72<12345>Last »
May 3rd, 2022 at 5:03:00 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO
As the economy tanks, our borders are porous, inflation runs rampant, crime is on the rise, etc…. I was trying to think is there anything the Republicans can do to NOT win the 2022 elections. I now know the answer. It has just been done. Abortion rights is not a close call. An overwhelming majority of Americans are in favor. Although mostly Republicans are anti abortion, I think there are some Democrat lawmakers that are anti abortion rights, and some Republican lawmakers that are for them.
Talk about galvanizing the opposition. I know that technically it is 6 justices, (maybe 5?), and not the actual Republican Party, but just SO STUPID! Shumer calling to end the filibuster again….

Republicans are risking 2022 by running some of the worst candidates ever because they support Trump and his big lie
Dr Oz is a snake oil salesman
Herschel Walker is plain stupid
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 3rd, 2022 at 5:16:09 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
Republicans are risking 2022 by running some of the worst candidates ever because they support Trump and his big lie
Dr Oz is a snake oil salesman
Herschel Walker is plain stupid

Agree. And agree. Walker would need to gain some intelligence to make it all the way up to ‘stupid’! I’m pretty sure Oz doesn’t become the nominee…..

Gotta disagree with AZ though. I think that if the court severely restricts abortion rights, which WILL occur if they return the full power to the states, it will allow Democrats in 50-50 ish districts to run on ‘I will save abortion rights’ platforms and allow them to NOT focus on the truly important issues that Democrats are failing on and afraid of. I wonder what the odds are NOW for the Republicans to regain House control, and Senate control? I have to think they changed overnight!
May 3rd, 2022 at 5:26:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO

Gotta disagree with AZ though. I think that if the court severely restricts abortion rights, which WILL occur if they return the full power to the states, it will allow Democrats in 50-50 ish districts to run on ‘I will save abortion rights’ platforms and allow them to NOT focus on the truly important issues that Democrats are failing on and afraid of. I wonder what the odds are NOW for the Republicans to regain House control, and Senate control? I have to think they changed overnight!

Democrats have run on this for years, and it rarely makes a difference. I will say it again, it is not the most important issue for most people. It is most important for a group of rabid, undatable women and a few far-left guys. So let the Democrats run on this while the Republicans run on the economy. The Democrat will be like the car salesman telling you about some feature you do not care about.

Odds of GOP flipping the House still pretty near 100%. PMSNBC will say that this is going to cost them but don't bet on it. CNN will say it but nobody will be watching.

Also, the younger generation is not as in favor of abortion as the boomers were.
The President is a fink.
May 3rd, 2022 at 5:27:02 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Tanko
Overturning Roe Vs Wade and Planned Parenthood Vs Casey would not end the right to an abortion.

It would end federal abortion protections and leave it up to each individual state to decide whether or not to restrict or ban abortions.

The majority sees it as a states rights issue that should be returned to the people's elected representatives.

“We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled,” he writes in the document, labeled as the “Opinion of the Court.” “It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”

If Florida passes its anti-abortion law, the nearest state is N. Carolina. That's about 1000 miles if you live in S. Florida. Of course you probably have limited amount of facilities there, so no telling if you could make the legal window anyway before it becomes illegal.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 3rd, 2022 at 5:36:10 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: AZDuffman
Democrats have run on this for years, and it rarely makes a difference. I will say it again, it is not the most important issue for most people. It is most important for a group of rabid, undatable women and a few far-left guys. So let the Democrats run on this while the Republicans run on the economy. The Democrat will be like the car salesman telling you about some feature you do not care about.

Odds of GOP flipping the House still pretty near 100%. PMSNBC will say that this is going to cost them but don't bet on it. CNN will say it but nobody will be watching.

Also, the younger generation is not as in favor of abortion as the boomers were.

Quote:
On the question of whether the court should uphold Roe, the polling is clear: Americans want the court to keep it. These polls are all from October, but they largely tell the same story. Sixty-six percent of likely voters told Quinnipiac University that they agreed with the Roe decision establishing a woman’s right to an abortion. Meanwhile, 62 percent of registered voters told ABC News/The Washington Post that the Supreme Court should uphold Roe; 24 percent said they wanted the ruling overturned. Sixty-two percent of likely voters told Fox News that Roe should stand as is. The Kaiser Family Foundation found that 69 percent of Americans did not want the high court to overturn Roe.

Gallup, which has been polling Americans’ views on abortion since at least 1975, has consistently found that at least a plurality favor keeping abortion legal — but as the chart below shows, most still think abortion should be legal only under certain circumstances. However, no more than about a fifth of Americans say abortion should be illegal under all circumstances.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/most-americans-dont-want-roe-v-wade-repealed-but-many-also-support-restrictions-on-abortion/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 3rd, 2022 at 6:32:59 AM permalink
terapined
No doubt republican religious nuts will now pass laws prohibiting or punishing women that travel to another state for an abortion
The Republicans fight against individual rights is chilling

I'm pretty shocked that the Supreme Court is going to flush precedent down the toilet if they reverse Roe
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 3rd, 2022 at 6:37:28 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
As I have probably stated before, I am not Pro-Choice or Pro-Life. I am Pro-Abortion. I think abortion should be the default choice for 90% of pregnancy. For me you would have to prove that you have the knowledge and means to have a child otherwise it is vacuumed out of you.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 3rd, 2022 at 7:55:25 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Susan Collins, still an idiot:

“If this leaked draft opinion is the final decision and this reporting is accurate, it would be completely inconsistent with what Justice Gorsuch and Justice Kavanaugh said in their hearings and in our meetings in my office.”

Asked if she was mislead by Kavanaugh, Collins:

“My statement speaks for itself”
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 3rd, 2022 at 7:56:55 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: ams288
Susan Collins, still an idiot:

“If this leaked draft opinion is the final decision and this reporting is accurate, it would be completely inconsistent with what Justice Gorsuch and Justice Kavanaugh said in their hearings and in our meetings in my office.”

Asked if she was mislead by Kavanaugh, Collins:

“My statement speaks for itself”

Susan Collins got played
May 3rd, 2022 at 8:22:36 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
The leak is real (duh):

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
Page 2 of 72<12345>Last »