Supreme Court strikes down Roe v. Wade?

May 8th, 2022 at 8:31:01 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Tanko
Should we give fetuses painkillers before we abort them? - WAPO

Abortion is the only procedure that does not require anesthesia or analgesia. The mother is given general anesthesia, but not the fetus. A twenty-week or older fetus, likely capable of feeling pain, can be torn apart and its head crushed, without anesthesia.

This is an animation. You don't want to see a real one:

The Reality of 2nd Trimester Surgical Abortions - Dr Norman MacLean

Not that it is really relevant to the main point we are discussing here, but only a very small minority of women get general anesthesia for abortion procedures.
May 8th, 2022 at 11:43:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Legislators in 13 states have passed so-called "trigger laws," which are bans designed to go into effect if Roe is overturned. In some cases, the law requires an official such as an attorney general to certify that Roe has been struck down before the law can take effect.
These are the states with "trigger laws" poised to go into effect almost immediately if Roe v. Wade is overturned.

Arkansas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Tennessee
Kentucky
Missouri
Oklahoma
Texas

Idaho
North Dakota
South Dakota
Utah
Wyoming
May 8th, 2022 at 12:05:39 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I'm overall pretty shocked by this
Generally abortion laws I assume are universal in each country.
I wonder what effect this will have on the midterms
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 8th, 2022 at 2:57:41 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
I'm overall pretty shocked by this
Generally abortion laws I assume are universal in each country.
I wonder what effect this will have on the midterms

My guess is very little impact on the midterms

The 13 states with trigger laws have only Republican senators and the minority of representatives are Democrats (67 to 19).
1 Texas 23 Rep 12 Democrat
2 Louisiana 5 Rep 1 Democrat
3 Mississippi 3 Rep 1 Democrat
4 Missouri 6 Rep 2 Democrat
5 Tennessee 7 Rep 2 Democrat
6 Kentucky 5 Rep 1 Democrat
7 Arkansas 4 Rep
8 Idaho 2 Rep
9 North Dakota 1 Rep
10 Oklahoma 5 Rep
11 South Dakota 1 Rep
12 Utah 4 Rep
13 Wyoming 1 Rep
Total 67 Rep 19 Democrat
May 10th, 2022 at 4:24:03 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I wanted to say this in the WoV Wordle thread, but thought it was violate my own rules.

So, there was a fair bit of confusion yesterday as to yesterday's Wordle. Some people got FETUS and others, like me, got SHINE.

The NYT released a statement saying that fetus was chosen long in advance, before the recent leaked SCOTUS draft statement. Have we become so sensitive and weak that we can't take the sight of that word?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 10th, 2022 at 4:39:47 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I wanted to say this in the WoV Wordle thread, but thought it was violate my own rules.

So, there was a fair bit of confusion yesterday as to yesterday's Wordle. Some people got FETUS and others, like me, got SHINE.

The NYT released a statement saying that fetus was chosen long in advance, before the recent leaked SCOTUS draft statement. Have we become so sensitive and weak that we can't take the sight of that word?

We have been there since the 1980s and "speech codes" on college campuses. We have been there since people were sensitive to "china virus." We are almost in "1984" where words are prohibited so people cannot express themselves and low level office workers strike them from old books.
The President is a fink.
May 10th, 2022 at 6:15:30 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

Yeah, I think it’s silly they changed it.

I assume it has more to do with them not wanting to appear to be taking a side in the debate.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 10th, 2022 at 7:08:32 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: ams288

I assume it has more to do with them not wanting to appear to be taking a side in the debate.

That sounds about right to me.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 10th, 2022 at 7:42:35 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: ams288
Yeah, I think it’s silly they changed it.

It isn't often you and AZD agree on something (or is it?).

I'm not clear to me which side you're taking by the use of that word. One the one hand, it would seem pro-life to put the focus on the fetus. However, every pro-lifer I've ever met avoided that word, in preference of "unborn" or "child."
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 10th, 2022 at 12:46:06 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
It isn't often you and AZD agree on something (or is it?).

I'm not clear to me which side you're taking by the use of that word. One the one hand, it would seem pro-life to put the focus on the fetus. However, every pro-lifer I've ever met avoided that word, in preference of "unborn" or "child."

Because that is what it is. I am not old enough to remember, but I doubt pre-Roe anyone outside medical field said "fetus."

Calling it a "fetus" allows those in favor of abortion to divorce themselves from the fact that it IS a baby/child. Calling it a "fetus" is making a morality car wash of sorts for them.

Remember when Clinton Admin stopped using "rouge nation" and started "states of concern."
"Illegal Alien" to "undocumented."
Ted Turner banning "foreign" on his channels? Which the professional wrestling announcers had fun with.

In the words of the late, great Rush Limbaugh, WORDS MEAN THINGS.

It is no accident.
The President is a fink.