Supreme Court strikes down Roe v. Wade?

May 12th, 2022 at 8:56:27 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
I can’t help but get the feeling that Tanko, Duffman, etc. don’t really care about fetuses but are just dutifully toeing the party line with the usual talking points, faux outrage, and crocodile tears.

This is why the majority support abortion because the smart Republicans that are not religious fanatics and are fiscally conservative are OK with abortion
Tanko and Duffman need to leave the dumb base behind and take some pointers from Drich and Soopoo
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 12th, 2022 at 9:00:05 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: ams288
I can’t help but get the feeling that Tanko, Duffman, etc. don’t really care about fetuses but are just dutifully toeing the party line with the usual talking points, faux outrage, and crocodile tears.

I think it's great if no one ever wanted an abortion again, but like the majority of people I don't believe the option should be taken away.

Also, Repubs can talk and talk and talk that this won't affect other rights that aren't enumerated in the Constitution. But I would be way more than skeptical about that. And if you aren't, you should change your mind!
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 12th, 2022 at 9:57:28 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman
We treat dogs being put down better than that.

We put down serial killers more humanely than that.
May 12th, 2022 at 9:58:23 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
I think it's great if no one ever wanted an abortion again, but like the majority of people I don't believe the option should be taken away.

Also, Repubs can talk and talk and talk that this won't affect other rights that aren't enumerated in the Constitution. But I would be way more than skeptical about that. And if you aren't, you should change your mind!

If a right is not enumerated in the Constitution, how can it be granted as a “right” without an amendment to the document? That being said, there also has to be some kind of a case brought that challenges a previous ruling. Perhaps there should be work towards amending the Constitution and in States to codify things into their Constitutions.

We don’t have a perfect solution but there are several out there that can help codify rights at some level. Judges/Justices call balls and strikes. They were not meant to make new things up. Perhaps getting a working Congress again would help. It has been years since we have had one.
May 12th, 2022 at 10:01:29 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Why is abortion even a viable issue in a democracy when sixty percent of Americans support abortion?

The definition of the minority imposing their will on the majority is TYRANNY.
May 12th, 2022 at 10:06:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
Why is abortion even a viable issue in a democracy when sixty percent of Americans support abortion?

Because we have laws against barbaric practices. It is about human decency.

Remember when 60% of people supported Jim Crow laws and segregation? Was it tyranny to get rid of them?
The President is a fink.
May 12th, 2022 at 10:16:40 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
What County where abortion is banned (and by banned I include "life of the mother countries" as that is an effective ban) would anti-abortion people like to live in? Can any on that side point to one?

It's an excellent question, because you'll be moving to a theocracy.....

We would be one of the only good countries (certainly the only secular country) remaining where abortion is not a right (in many/most developed countries its also fully covered by their universal medical program, but that's another issue).

And, yes I am aware the repeal of Roe does not ban abortion federally, but for a large swath of the country it effectively does.
May 12th, 2022 at 10:18:29 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: RonC
If a right is not enumerated in the Constitution, how can it be granted as a “right” without an amendment to the document? That being said, there also has to be some kind of a case brought that challenges a previous ruling. Perhaps there should be work towards amending the Constitution and in States to codify things into their Constitutions.

We don’t have a perfect solution but there are several out there that can help codify rights at some level. Judges/Justices call balls and strikes. They were not meant to make new things up. Perhaps getting a working Congress again would help. It has been years since we have had one.

Not an expert on this by any means.

Quote:
Unenumerated (unwritten) rights include the right to travel, privacy, autonomy, dignity, and the right to have an abortion. None of these rights are specifically stated in the constitution, but the Supreme Court defends these rights.

The SCOTUS has defended rights that aren't in the Constitution. That's why.

And I bet you the conservative judges still do if necessary. Just not abortion.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 12th, 2022 at 10:36:06 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: missedhervee

How can the minority impose their will on the majority if the USCC opinion turns over the issue to the voters to decide by majority?.

That is how it should be in a democratic society.

Between 85 and 90% of Americans believe abortion should be legal in at least some circumstances. 60% support abortion in the first trimester, but only 28% support it in the second trimester.

The voters should have no trouble at all deciding the abortion laws in their states.
May 12th, 2022 at 10:42:26 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Tanko
The voters should have no trouble at all deciding the abortion laws in their states.

Abortion should be legal across the land, not subject to being squelched by zealots in various states.

This issue has been so politicized; I suspect lots of republicans either favor it or don't really care too much yet they play the anti-abortion card solely for political purposes.

Who will pay for the care, feeding and education of all the expected unwanted Americans born who otherwise would have been aborted?

Not mama, at least in many cases: it's an open invitation to expand the depth of our welfare state.