Supreme Court strikes down Roe v. Wade?

May 12th, 2022 at 10:47:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee

Who will pay for the care, feeding and education of all the expected unwanted Americans born who otherwise would have been aborted?

Call me crazy, but the parents should be paying.
The President is a fink.
May 12th, 2022 at 11:00:08 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: AZDuffman
Call me crazy, but the parents should be paying.

What kind of parenting can an unwanted child expect to receive?

In many if not most cases they'll be resented, possibly unloved and even abused, and they'll tpically be born into poverty in a single parent situation.

Hardly a prognosis for success.

Is this the "Last Hurrah" for religion in America?

Year by year Americans drift away from organized religion, seeking a secular life free from dogma based on an unproven fiction, i.e. the existence of god.
May 12th, 2022 at 11:04:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
What kind of parenting can an unwanted child expect to receive?

In many if not most cases they'll be resented, possibly unloved and even abused, and they'll tpically be born into poverty in a single parent situation.

Hardly a prognosis for success.

Is this the "Last Hurrah" for religion in America?

Year by year Americans drift away from organized religion, seeking a secular life free from dogma based on an unproven fiction, i.e. the existence of god.

Eventually the younger generation will shift towards religion as they will not be following their atheist parents. Not to mention Mexican and other Central American immigrants are religious. The bigots will have to put up with religion for generations yet.
The President is a fink.
May 12th, 2022 at 11:14:29 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Eventually the younger generation will shift towards religion as they will not be following their atheist parents. Not to mention Mexican and other Central American immigrants are religious. The bigots will have to put up with religion for generations yet.

Religious people tend to indoctrinate their kids into belief as early as possible I doubt if many religious parents tell their kids to examine and decide for themselves.

Are you for that sort of thing? Just curious, 'cause I know what you usually say about thinking for yourself.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 12th, 2022 at 11:22:17 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Religious people tend to indoctrinate their kids into belief as early as possible I doubt if many religious parents tell their kids to examine and decide for themselves.

Are you for that sort of thing? Just curious, 'cause I know what you usually say about thinking for yourself.

Except that stopped working as the boomers rebelled against their parents. This kind of thing happens every few generations, a shift.

The way I predict it will happen is not some kind of "comeback" by the Catholic church. How they let the gay priests run wild all those years has tarnished them for 100 years. It will be more the megachurch model on one hand and the smaller churches on the other.

The former makes church more of a social function. You go for the service but get more interaction with people who are in your community. Almost like one part services and one part community group like the Jaycees, Lions, KoC, etc.

The later are smaller churches that someone with some ministry experience just start up. Almost like the missions that we used to send to the developing world. There is one in my neighborhood. Has some kind of dinner and a service format.

Anthropologically religion always becomes a thing as most people realize there is something more powerful than mankind out there.
The President is a fink.
May 12th, 2022 at 11:55:19 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
You could be right, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Seems to me that we the people are increasingly secular, perhaps because we side with science over what is basically institutionalized superstition.

But you're right about immigrants, especially from south of the border, being religious; why then do you want a wall to keep them out if the end game is to pack this fair land with bible toting zomibies?
May 12th, 2022 at 12:03:46 PM permalink
AZDuffman

Seems to me that we the people are increasingly secular, perhaps because we side with science over what is basically institutionalized superstition.

Science and religion are not mutually exclusive. In fact any scientist who says a superior being cannot exist should not be taken serious as a scientist. For crying out loud, how many of our best scientists are Jewish?
The President is a fink.
May 12th, 2022 at 12:11:04 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Science and religion are not mutually exclusive. In fact any scientist who says a superior being cannot exist should not be taken serious as a scientist. For crying out loud, how many of our best scientists are Jewish?

Science and anything Duffman posts here ARE mutually exclusive.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 12th, 2022 at 12:13:47 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
Not an expert on this by any means.

The SCOTUS has defended rights that aren't in the Constitution. That's why.

And I bet you the conservative judges still do if necessary. Just not abortion.

…and I am not saying they won’t, or that a case will ever get to them that would make them overturn those other items. I am simply saying that the way to make sure it never happens is to amend the Constitution and add those rights to the Constitution. That did not happen with abortion.

I am not saying that I want them overturned, just that a different court could find a different answer. It does happen…
May 12th, 2022 at 12:18:38 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Abortion should be legal across the land, not subject to being squelched by zealots in various states.

To follow your logic then the California liberal zealots shouldn't be able to ban the all the things they do. That is too long a list to post.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin