Subaru sales in the United States

Page 1 of 212>
May 11th, 2022 at 4:49:51 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

After the Great Recession of 2007 to 2009 Subaru decided their future was in the United States. The fiscal year ending 31 March 2009 was the last one where the majority of Subaru revenue came from Japan. You can see from the above chart that most of their vehicle sales in the last 5 years are in the US with Canada being only slightly lower than Japan and Australia in 4th place.

The Subaru Love Campaign rightfully so, claims credit for much of the automakers success in tripling sales.
Quote: Carmichael Lynch
How do you stand apart when your competition is spending literally billions of dollars? By connecting with what’s truly important to your audience — not just features they might like, but the life that they love. Their families. Their pets. The great outdoors. Even the venerable old Subaru they’ve been driving forever. In 2007, we introduced the “Love” campaign. In the years since, sales and market share have more than tripled and love has spread to every level of the brand. - Subaru Love Campaign

Subaru only had one boutique model that produced over 300 horsepower, The 2021 Subaru WRX STI/Horsepower 310 hp.

Recently Subaru cancelled the next generation STI which had been rumored to have as much as 400 hp. Their most powerful car is the WRX now that has 271 hp. This is at a time when Toyota is introducing a Corolla with over 300 hp and a 500 hp Supra. Volkswagen introduced the 2022 Golf R, that now makes 315 horsepower The Kia Stinger has 368 hp. Even the Hyundai Sonata N can reach 290 hp.

In this day of $4.50 per gallon gasoline, how important is it for an automaker to have a halo car?
May 11th, 2022 at 5:23:19 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin

After the Great Recession of 2007 to 2009 Subaru decided their future was in the United States. The fiscal year ending 31 March 2009 was the last one where the majority of Subaru revenue came from Japan. You can see from the above chart that most of their vehicle sales in the last 5 years are in the US with Canada being only slightly lower than Japan and Australia in 4th place.

Subaru does not have the kind of following outside the USA that it does here. In the USA it has a devoted base and is seen as "quirky but high quality." Elsewhere it is nothing special. Thus they are smart to make the USA their focus.
The President is a fink.
May 11th, 2022 at 5:55:57 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
Subaru does not have the kind of following outside the USA that it does here. In the USA it has a devoted base and is seen as "quirky but high quality." Elsewhere it is nothing special. Thus they are smart to make the USA their focus.

I know Subaru's are/were popular for their all wheel drive, yet in my 55 years I have never known anyone that has owned one. I guess living in Vegas for thirty years doesn't help as all wheel drive is rarely necessary.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 11th, 2022 at 6:06:16 AM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
They are everywhere in Colorado and the Pacific Northwest. If you go to hiking areas that aren’t in national parks like national forests, outback’s and to a lesser extent Forester’s are probably 3:1 to any other vehicle you see, sometimes you’ll see a row that’s 1/3 to 1/2 Subaru’s.
May 11th, 2022 at 6:27:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: DRich
I know Subaru's are/were popular for their all wheel drive, yet in my 55 years I have never known anyone that has owned one. I guess living in Vegas for thirty years doesn't help as all wheel drive is rarely necessary.

I have heard the boxter engines can have issues but also seen them with super high miles. Back in the day they rusted bad.
The President is a fink.
July 19th, 2022 at 6:49:24 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I have heard the boxter engines...

Actually the engines are called "boxer engines" . They were originally called "contra engines" when it was invented by Karl Benz in 1887, and "boxer" was a nickname. The word "Boxter" is a brand name for Porsche. Since the 1990s only Porsche and Subaru have remained as significant manufacturers of flat engines.

In the 1970s Subaru discovered that they could use the boxer design to create a mass market four wheel drive. In present day, most automakers have optional all wheel drive, Subaru keeps it standard and is always less expensive than AWD option in a competitor's similar size vehicle.

In model year 1998 they followed Toyota's RAV4 and Honda's CR-V in creating a Compact SUV (CUV). The original Subaru CUV was the Forester, built on their smallest car, the Impreza (introduced model year 1993), which remained alone in the lineup for 5 years. It was followed by
1998 Subaru Forester - SUV built on Impreza compact car
2003 Subaru Baja - SUV with a pickup bed in the back
2005 Subaru Outback - built on midsize car
2006 Subaru Tribeca - 7 or 8 seat SUV.

The Baja failed although similar vehicles have since become very popular. The Tribeca failed very badly. Foresters are imported from Japan while the Outback is assembled in Indiana at a factory which has been, at least partially, owned by Subaru since 1989.

In the financial crash of 2008 both Subaru and Mazda expanded internationally. Mazda was successful in North America and Europe. Subarus were largely a failure in Europe as AWD is inherently a fuel gulper, but they have been most successful in US, Canada, and Australia particularly in mountain states.

Post expansion into the US two new SUVs were added
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - SUV built on Impreza compact car, but unlike Forester the passenger/cargo space is identical to Impreza
2019 Subaru Ascent - Replacement for Tribeca in the lucrative 7 passenger SUV market

Subaru had been one of the earliest adopter of continous variable transmission (CVT) in 1987 with the Subaru Justy, an ultra economical 3 cylinder, 1.2L, vehicle with CVT (34 mpg), but it was pretty much a failure. However, given President Obama's stance on CAFE requirements, they reintroduced the CVT in the US assembled Legacy and Outback wagon. By 2015 CVT was the only automatic transmission they sold, outside of the BRZ which was co-developed with Toyota. Mazda flat out refused to adopt CVT. Subaru is unique in that even their largest SUV is CVT while most other automakers tend to use gears for their larger vehicles.
July 19th, 2022 at 1:23:09 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Actually the engines are called "boxer engines" . They were originally called "contra engines" when it was invented by Karl Benz in 1887, and "boxer" was a nickname. The word "Boxter" is a brand name for Porsche. Since the 1990s only Porsche and Subaru have remained as significant manufacturers of flat engines.

You are right, I put it wrong. For those who do not know it is called that because if resembles boxers fighting each other. I still am not sure I trust them.

Quote:

Subaru had been one of the earliest adopter of continous variable transmission (CVT) in 1987 with the Subaru Justy, an ultra economical 3 cylinder, 1.2L, vehicle with CVT (34 mpg), but it was pretty much a failure. However, given President Obama's stance on CAFE requirements, they reintroduced the CVT in the US assembled Legacy and Outback wagon. By 2015 CVT was the only automatic transmission they sold, outside of the BRZ which was co-developed with Toyota. Mazda flat out refused to adopt CVT. Subaru is unique in that even their largest SUV is CVT while most other automakers tend to use gears for their larger vehicles.

CVT is another thing I do not yet trust. The idea seems sound but they do not seem to hold up. They are not needed what with so many speeds in today's automatics. Back in my day the transmission had 4 speeds and the engine 8 cylinders. Now that is reversed.
The President is a fink.
July 19th, 2022 at 2:10:39 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Well now boys and girls, I look into my crystal ball and I see things changing soon: sure looks like the republicans will soon control congress and then the presidency.

Look out for major roll-backs and changes, esp. viz EV's being de-prioritized.

So once again all Biden's efforts may be for naught.
July 19th, 2022 at 9:00:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
You are right, I put it wrong. For those who do not know it is called that because if resembles boxers fighting each other. I still am not sure I trust them.

I think Subaru first developed a boxer engine in 1966 in a 1 liter engine before Subaru of America started. They are not going to change now. The boxer engine allowed them to develop the mass market AWD in the early 1970s.

CVT is another thing I do not yet trust. The idea seems sound but they do not seem to hold up..

I know one person who calls them disposable transmissions. They work until they don't work and then they can't really be fixed.

The design is generally OK except for many people don't like the feel, but they tend to break in such a way that they destroy everything.

They are not needed what with so many speeds in today's automatics. Back in my day the transmission had 4 speeds and the engine 8 cylinders. Now that is reversed.

To be fair, Ford is having huge problems with their 10 speed transmission with four planetary gear sets. Cynics refer to the "law of diminishing returns" whereby automakers keep making equipment more and more complex in search of ever smaller improvements in fuel economy until maintenance problems overwhelm the design.

CVTs are widely used today, especially in smaller sedans. In particular I don't trust CVT in 6 cylinder vehicles or in heavy 4 cylinder ones.
3 cyl 38.9 to 37.5 mpg Mitsubishi
3 cyl 33.3 to 31.0 mpg Nissan
3 cyl 30.7 to 30.1 mpg Chevrolet
3 cyl 30.1 to 29.9 mpg Buick
4 cyl 55.7 to 32.2 mpg Toyota
4 cyl 52.0 to 28.6 mpg Honda
4 cyl 51.8 to 28.8 mpg Toyota
4 cyl 44.1 to 32.5 mpg Lexus
4 cyl 40.5 to 39.8 mpg Ford
4 cyl 36.6 to 29.8 mpg Hyundai
4 cyl 35.8 to 28.5 mpg Kia
4 cyl 35.0 to 29.0 mpg Nissan
4 cyl 33.9 to 28.3 mpg Honda
4 cyl 33.4 to 32.1 mpg Chevrolet
4 cyl 31.5 to 21.1 mpg Subaru ----------------- Subaru uses CVT in Ascent 7 passenger SUV and WRX sports sedan
4 cyl 28.6 to 27.0 mpg Nissan
4 cyl 27.1 to 26.0 mpg Mitsubishi Outlander a.k.a. Nissan Rogue
4 cyl 27.0 to 25.0 mpg Mitsubishi
4 cyl 26.0 to 24.9 mpg Infiniti
6 cyl 29.8 to 24.9 mpg Lexus
6 cyl 24.0 to 22.8 mpg Nissan

You will note that Subaru has the worst fuel economy for a CVT of any automaker (21.1 mpg). Subaru ises CVT for 7 different models including their 7 seat SUV and their WRX, which is a road rally inspired sports sedan).

Mazda is the one Asian automaker that is firmly committed to their SKYACTIV-Drive, and pleges never to use a CVT.

Subaru fuel economy history. CVT had the biggest impact in fuel economy in their design history.
2018 28.7 mpg best fuel economy in Subaru history
2017 28.5 mpg
2016 28.1 mpg
2015 28.1 mpg all Subarus are manual or CVT except BRZ which is co-designed with Toyota (still uses gears)
2014 27.3 mpg
2013 26.5 mpg
2012 25.0 mpg
2011 23.8 mpg
2010 23.4 mpg
2009 22.6 mpg first modern CVT as an option in US made Legacy and Outback
2008 22.3 mpg
2007 22.1 mpg
2006 21.6 mpg
2005 21.9 mpg
2004 21.5 mpg worst fuel economy in Subaru history

Subaru's only choices now are (A) dump their turbo engines and like Mitsubushi try to sell only low powered engines which seems like slow suicide, (B) sell enough EVs to bring down their CAFE, (C) turbo downsizing like Nissan which introduces more maintenance issue, (D) introduce Toyota hybrid tech which will increase price.
July 20th, 2022 at 6:10:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I think Subaru first developed a boxer engine in 1966 in a 1 liter engine before Subaru of America started. They are not going to change now. The boxer engine allowed them to develop the mass market AWD in the early 1970s.

I do not get why that is. Why could they not do the same with an inline of V-4?

Quote:
I know one person who calls them disposable transmissions. They work until they don't work and then they can't really be fixed.

The design is generally OK except for many people don't like the feel, but they tend to break in such a way that they destroy everything.

The issue does not seem to be "design." It seems to be more of no matter how you design it the concept just does not really work well. The materials do not hold up.

Quote:
Subaru's only choices now are (A) dump their turbo engines and like Mitsubushi try to sell only low powered engines which seems like slow suicide, (B) sell enough EVs to bring down their CAFE, (C) turbo downsizing like Nissan which introduces more maintenance issue, (D) introduce Toyota hybrid tech which will increase price.

They could also go back to the 80s and put in axle gears that limit top speed but give higher mileage. We are seeing way powerful engines these days. To an extent unimaginable back in the 80s. Back then, 200hp was just the best sports cars and packages. Now it is getting common. When do the automakers say "enough" of the hp wars and start squeezing out more mpg?
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 212>