Trains!

Page 2 of 4<1234>
June 7th, 2022 at 5:36:11 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Bring some things you know will absorb your time. If you enjoy the ride you won't need them, but it will be handy to have them if you don't. Books, audio books, puzzles, games, cards. If they have wifi, you'll have more options.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 7th, 2022 at 6:21:55 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler

Coast to coast? How long was that trip? (I am assuming you stopped in towns and did not train straight the whole way). I can see how that can be fun. Though I imagine there are differences in Canadian trains and American trains.

I can't remember the exact number of hours but we slept on the train 3 nights. It was only short stops in larger centres of less than an hour. Only left the platform at one stop to go and buy a map so the kids could follow our progress. Usually didn't even get off the train.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 8th, 2022 at 3:08:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
The only thing I can say about trains is they are better than Greyhound, barely. Unless you get a sleeper compartment on the train and those are expensive.

People have this romantic thing about trains. Trains for travel faded away because they do not work. In the crowded northeast they work, but they are hardly romantic travel. Just a different kind of cattle car to cram on to get where you are going.
The President is a fink.
June 8th, 2022 at 10:46:51 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
You'll be bored to tears.

Bring books, alcohol, drugs, hookers: whatever it takes to keep you amused for extended periods of time.
June 8th, 2022 at 12:36:14 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: missedhervee
You'll be bored to tears.

Bring books, alcohol, drugs, hookers: whatever it takes to keep you amused for extended periods of time.

Usually lots to see out the windows, people watching and personally the sway of the cars and clicking of the tracks was relaxing. I would travel long distance by train again if it wasn't usually more than flying. Still a very popular and efficient way to travel in Europe.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 8th, 2022 at 10:51:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
The only thing I can say about trains is they are better than Greyhound, barely. Unless you get a sleeper compartment on the train and those are expensive.

Clinton NJ is less than 60 miles from Manhattan and is the outer edges of the suburbs
The bus takes 65 minutes in the morning from 5:45a − 6:50a and deposits you at the 42nd street Port authority Bus station
The NJ commuter train takes 75 minutes to get you to Newark - Pennsylvania Station from there it is a 4 minute walk and 22 minutes to take a PATH train to World Trade Center.
June 9th, 2022 at 10:48:42 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
Cost you an arm and a leg.

That's it in a nutshell. There's lots of good trains in the world if you're willing to pay through your nose to buy a ticket. Did not used to be that way. In the forties and fifties people took trains on purpose because it was a luxury experience for not much money. I remember when people wore suits and ties on airplanes and it was actually a fun experience. That didn't last long.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 25th, 2022 at 7:50:25 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
So my train ride ended last night at about 10pm. Long day. But, not as terrible as some made it out. I stayed occupied, lots of books, had my laptop, tablet, etc... The wifi was actually pretty good, so as long as you stayed occupied the time went by. A lot more freedom than a plane (no security, you basically just get on and find your seat), and you can walk around at will. The seats were quite comfortable and lots of room.

The food was kind of a joke, no dining car yesterday, just a cafe car, which was basically overpriced snacks and junk food.

I can see it as a reasonable alternative to flying if time is not an issue. But, not as exciting as I thought it would be in my head.
June 25th, 2022 at 9:25:15 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
How long were you on the train?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 25th, 2022 at 10:51:01 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: rxwine
How long were you on the train?

He originally estimated a 16 hour trip.
Page 2 of 4<1234>