Investing - I Bonds

Page 2 of 2<12
June 17th, 2022 at 6:22:09 PM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Makes sense, Gandler.
I would never make an investment and commit to it for 30 years, never looking at it until retirement
That is probably where my mindset significantly differs from Ramsey's.
How do you feel about leaving an investment in place for 30 years and never looking at how it is doing?
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
June 18th, 2022 at 4:48:09 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
I Bonds are currently accruing interest at three times the interest rate paid on 2-30 Year Treasuries, and their redemption value cannot decline. If the rate of inflation declines, and they become less attractive, they can always be redeemed. At this point, despite any penalty, investors still come out ahead.

As for reducing inflation, Biden is threatening price controls and a 21% excess profits surtax on oil producers. Which would mean a 42% tax on profits, the government deems excessive. Just the thing to encourage more investment and drilling.
June 18th, 2022 at 8:15:46 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: JCW09
Makes sense, Gandler.
I would never make an investment and commit to it for 30 years, never looking at it until retirement
That is probably where my mindset significantly differs from Ramsey's.
How do you feel about leaving an investment in place for 30 years and never looking at how it is doing?

I completely agree.

Though right now I try not to look at retirement accounts because its just depressing lol (even though I know the best bet is just to ride it out and continue to buy at a discount), but seeing -10-20% YTD is never fun. I think its good to intermittently check them, but I don't necessarily think its healthy to obsess over your accounts every day to see if they are slightly up or slightly down like some people do. Really I think looking at the quarterly statements that they mail (or email) out is probably fine for most people (myself included).
November 3rd, 2022 at 3:47:34 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: DRich
Just wondering if any of you have explored I-Bonds?

'Demand for Series I bonds crashes TreasuryDirect ahead of key deadline to secure 9.62% rate'

New rate is 6.89%

'Here's why the Treasury I bond's lower rate is still 'significant’
Page 2 of 2<12