Outing of Fictional Characters

Page 1 of 41234>
June 30th, 2013 at 10:43:31 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
In 2007 J.K. Rowling outed her fictional character Dumbledore as gay. Some might say that the character only exists in the words in the book, which are never explicit. But the author is really the final source with regard to the nature of the character. In some sense her word is critical to future fictional portrayals of the character. Story has it that she corrected some lines in the movie script that made passing reference to Dumbledore and a woman.

The recent NY times cover depicting Bert and Ernie hugging each other in celebration of the Supreme Court decision has re-opened the Bert and Ernie orientation discussion. The official statement from the producers of Sesame Street producers is that Bert and Ernie are puppets and have no orientation sidesteps the issue. It seems clear the Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy are straight.

I am asking a legitimate question here. What would you tell a child of say age 8 if they ask you if Bert and Ernie are gay? Perhaps they pick up the question from social media. Would you says yes? Would you say no? Would you say nobody knows?
June 30th, 2013 at 12:39:26 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I'd say Bert and Ernie? of Piel's beer fame? Oh yeah, that was Bert and Harry.

What happens when fans define a relationship as gay but the author has not done so? Inspector Lewis and Sergeant Hathaway?

What would happen in the world of Scandinavian mystery authors if characters were young, white, attractive and heterosexual?
June 30th, 2013 at 12:53:02 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
Quote: Pacomartin
What would you tell a child of say age 8 if they ask you if Bert and Ernie are gay?
I would say that Bert and Ernie are puppets like the two martian puppets or Oscar or Big Bird (well maybe I'd leave out Big Bird)

June 30th, 2013 at 3:06:46 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
What would happen in the world of Scandinavian mystery authors if characters were young, white, attractive and heterosexual?

I am not that familiar with characters from Scandanavian mysteries outside of Wallendar and Lisbeth (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo).
June 30th, 2013 at 4:18:34 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
It seems clear the Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy are straight.

I am asking a legitimate question here. What would you tell a child of say age 8 if they ask you if Bert and Ernie are gay? Perhaps they pick up the question from social media. Would you says yes? Would you say no? Would you say nobody knows?

Ah, but Kermit and the Pig often engage in dialog that reveals their orientation. As far as I know B&E have done no such thing, nor would I expect it based on their venue.

Such a strange thing, this debate on the sexuality of two muppets.

I’ve heard others say they’re gay, and I always argue that point. There are a few stereotypical traits they possess, sure, but a stereotype does not make it fact. I suppose that unless the creators claim it so, or there is a video released of them making sweet, sweet love,…

If my kid asked, I’d just talk with him. Not all questions require an answer, and often one shouldn’t be supplied. I think the best thing in this case is just to open a dialog. If he cares enough to know, he’ll determine it for himself.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 30th, 2013 at 4:38:47 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: s2dbaker
I would say that Bert and Ernie are puppets

That's a slur towards manufactured-Americans, you know.

But the question ought to be easier than "why is the sky blue?" :P
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 30th, 2013 at 5:34:47 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Face
Such a strange thing, this debate on the sexuality of two muppets.

Bert and Ernie were on the pilot episode of Sesame Street in 1969. They were played by Jim Henson and Frank Oz. Characters are created for children with certain personality traits that reflect their view of normal behavior. As they begin to be aware of Prima Donna behavior they think of Miss Piggy. People who are always annoyed remind them of Oscar.

The images of Bert and Ernie are now used often enough in political campaigns, that kids are likely to see them. So the question is not really about their sexuality , the question is what do you tell your kids?

June 30th, 2013 at 5:55:50 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
So the question is not really about their sexuality , the question is what do you tell your kids?

This...

Quote: Face
If my kid asked, I’d just talk with him. Not all questions require an answer, and often one shouldn’t be supplied. I think the best thing in this case is just to open a dialog. If he cares enough to know, he’ll determine it for himself.

It’s not a question for which there is a definitive answer, so I wouldn’t give one. I would suppose a child would ask the question less because of the implications of homosexual muppets and more out of a curiosity of sexuality.

Really, what could I say? I suppose if forced I would say no, as I don’t believe they are and have no reason to think otherwise. If Henson’s heirs come forward and declare them gay, or if the weirdest sex tape ever emerges, I’ll have no problem switching my belief.

Muppets, man. (sorry, Manufactured-Americans ;)) What a trip.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 30th, 2013 at 6:38:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I had kids. When they're little and ask something
they can't possibly understand, like Gayness at
8 years old, I just turn it back on them and ask
what they think it means. Whatever they say go
with that and change the subject. They won't
pursue it and they don't really care what the answer
is anyway. Not at 8. There's plenty of time for
them to be wised up later.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 1st, 2013 at 3:47:18 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Sorry, but when I was a kid, I always got the impression B&E were also children. Whatever details there were, were lost on me. I would say nobody is gay until they admit they're gay and it's as wrong to accuse people of gayness as it is to discriminate.
Page 1 of 41234>