The Threat of Theology: Religion Influencing Politics in America

Page 3 of 5<12345>
August 6th, 2022 at 2:17:21 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
https://religionnews.com/2022/08/04/in-kansas-abortion-vote-a-blow-to-catholic-bishops-political-clout/

The Catholic Church spent over 3 million in Kansas alone trying to remove the right of abortions on the State level.

Luckily they were roundly defeated.

However, the terrifying thing is that this is perfectly legal as they were not spending church money on a political candidate, but on a specific issue....

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/charities-churches-and-politics
August 6th, 2022 at 2:26:05 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
https://religionnews.com/2022/08/04/in-kansas-abortion-vote-a-blow-to-catholic-bishops-political-clout/

The Catholic Church spent over 3 million in Kansas alone trying to remove the right of abortions on the State level.

Luckily they were roundly defeated.

However, the terrifying thing is that this is perfectly legal as they were not spending church money on a political candidate, but on a specific issue....

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/charities-churches-and-politics

It sucks that churches don't pay taxes yet can spend millions on political campaigns
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 6th, 2022 at 2:40:28 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I was raised Catholic.

Very helpful in instilling morality and a sense of values, so yeah, good for kids: but when you learn to think for yourself, fuhgeddaboudit.

I rejected the church and their ridiculous dogma in my early teens.
August 6th, 2022 at 3:22:57 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: missedhervee
I was raised Catholic.

Very helpful in instilling morality and a sense of values, so yeah, good for kids: but when you learn to think for yourself, fuhgeddaboudit.

I rejected the church and their ridiculous dogma in my early teens.

I was raised an atheist
Very helpful in instilling morality and a sense of values based on logic instead of religion
Only dogma in my house was science
My father was a geologist
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 30th, 2022 at 12:12:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Mess with Texas.

Quote:
He's taking on a Texas law that requires public schools to display signs and posters with the national motto "In God We Trust" in "conspicuous places." The law requires that the signs were either donated or purchased from private donations to the school.

Stevens, who lives in Florida and is known for his petitions to local governments, heard of the law about a week ago and told NPR he was irritated by the move to bring religion — in this case, Christianity — into schools.

"That should be irritating for you, regardless of what God or not-God you believe in," he said.
As far as he could tell, there was no requirement that the motto be written in English. He decided to start a fundraising campaign to send posters to schools around the state with the motto written in Arabic instead.

"They didn't say anything about language," Stevens said. "And as an artist, it's always art forward for me. So I thought, well, know what looks good ... and then it occurred to me that Arabic is beautiful."%
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 15th, 2022 at 3:34:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
When a library staff in a west Michigan township refused to remove its books containing LGBTQ themes, residents voted to defund their only library. 
The Patmos Library in Jamestown Township, outside of Grand Rapids, lost 85% of its operating budget after an Aug. 2 vote when its funding was up for renewal. A conservative Christian group had campaigned against the library because of books it has deemed inappropriate for children. 

The issue will be back on the ballot in November — one last time to save the library — when residents will vote again on the millage. If it doesn't pass, the library will likely close. 

“They’re protesting all LGBTQ books that are on our shelves,” said Larry Walton, library board president. "They want it to ban books, which is unacceptable. We, the board, will not ban the books.”
Out of about 67,000 materials, about 90 pieces "could be relative to LGBTQ," Walton said, which is just 0.001% of the library's collection.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 15th, 2022 at 5:02:55 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: rxwine
When a library staff in a west Michigan township refused to remove its books containing LGBTQ themes, residents voted to defund their only library.
The Patmos Library in Jamestown Township, outside of Grand Rapids, lost 85% of its operating budget after an Aug. 2 vote when its funding was up for renewal. A conservative Christian group had campaigned against the library because of books it has deemed inappropriate for children.

The issue will be back on the ballot in November — one last time to save the library — when residents will vote again on the millage. If it doesn't pass, the library will likely close.

“They’re protesting all LGBTQ books that are on our shelves,” said Larry Walton, library board president. "They want it to ban books, which is unacceptable. We, the board, will not ban the books.”
Out of about 67,000 materials, about 90 pieces "could be relative to LGBTQ," Walton said, which is just 0.001% of the library's collection.

Not surprising, isn't that where EvenBob lives?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 16th, 2023 at 1:21:28 PM permalink
terapined
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/prophet-says-his-vision-revealed-god-will-use-ron-desantis-in-a-powerful-way-as-president/ar-AA17zP3h?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7965c33e78014700805832cfd6d943e2
Hmm
god favors Desantis
????????????????
If you believe that
Then didnt god make sure Biden became President and beat Trump
These god worshippers dont realize that god is a 2 way street :-)
No red wave. gods will?
February 16th, 2023 at 4:24:50 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/prophet-says-his-vision-revealed-god-will-use-ron-desantis-in-a-powerful-way-as-president/ar-AA17zP3h?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7965c33e78014700805832cfd6d943e2
Hmm
god favors Desantis
????????????????
If you believe that
Then didnt god make sure Biden became President and beat Trump
These god worshippers dont realize that god is a 2 way street :-)
No red wave. gods will?

You silly twit that was the devil that made that happen.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 17th, 2023 at 1:02:58 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: kenarman
You silly twit that was the devil that made that happen.

Well in that case, heil Satan!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
Page 3 of 5<12345>