Griner swap

Page 2 of 12<12345>Last »
August 5th, 2022 at 2:33:22 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: quadriga
Drugs laws are harsh in Russia, but with cannabis only if there's a considerable amount in possession. Up to 6 grams--about 1/5 or 20% of an oz--is regarded as an administrative offense punishable by fines or up to 15 days in jail. Britney Griner was caught with 3/4 of a gram of cannabis oil in two vaper pens, or about 2.6 percent of an oz. Possessing any more than 6 grams becomes a more serious criminal offense.

1.3 percent of an oz in oil inside of a cartridge is practically empty, like moisture residue. There's a black market of hash oil in Russia. I suspect she intended to take empty cartridge pens there and then score hash oil on the underground market(still a bad idea). But she screwed things up by not wiping the inside dry.

However, she got hit with a trumped-up charge-- narcotics trafficking, or in other words, the intention of smuggling drugs under the statue of hard drugs. According to Drug Policy Facts, possession of drugs in Russia beyond "0.5 grams of heroin, opium or desomorphine" is considered a criminal offense which can lead to up to 10 years in prison. Her charge is politically motivated and the 9-year sentence is used as leverage in prisoner swap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_in_Russia
https://www.drugpolicyfacts.org/node/3432
https://www.sportskeeda.com/pop-culture/news-how-many-cartridges-brittney-griner-have-us-basketball-star-jailed-9-years-russia

Exactly, she should have been charged with possession and received a couple hundred dollar fine or maybe a week in jail. They are clearly taking advantage of the fact that she is an American celebrity (I guess, I do not follow sports, but she seems popular with all of the talking, I know more about her drug charges than her playing career).
August 5th, 2022 at 2:39:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Actually, I was going to mention something about some tourists from Canada to Terapined. They came into a campsite in Montana, apparently a known area for the local law enforcement scalping unwary visitors with violations of one sort or another. They stayed overnight with no issues. In the morning, the guy got up to use the on site bathroom and it was locked up with a closed sign. So, the guy wandered a little bit into the weeds to take a leak, and just by happenstance there was a cop nearby he didn’t see. He got charged with indecent exposure. He ended up staying there with a court day, and even with a lawyer it cost him $500. Would have been worse without one.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 5th, 2022 at 3:27:35 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Gandler
I would not say that she brought drugs into Russia, she brought a CBD vape pen that she was prescribed by a Doctor.

She did bring in a drug that is illegal in Russia. I definitely think she deserves the same punishment a Russian would get for the same crime.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 5th, 2022 at 3:45:31 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Gee, if Biden didn't owe so much to the progressives this wouldn't be happening.
August 5th, 2022 at 4:13:13 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
She did bring in a drug that is illegal in Russia. I definitely think she deserves the same punishment a Russian would get for the same crime.

I agree
I watch a lot of locked up abroad
Great series
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 5th, 2022 at 5:25:35 PM permalink
Gandler

Yes, which would be less than two years in jail max (realistically probably a fine or a one-two weeks for a first offense), not nine years.
She is definitely not getting the same punishment as a Russian would for a CPD vape pen.
August 5th, 2022 at 5:33:59 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Yes, which would be less than two years in jail max (realistically probably a fine or a one-two weeks for a first offense), not nine years.
She is definitely not getting the same punishment as a Russian would for a CPD vape pen.

This is where the embassy should help. Have lawyers appeal if that's possible. You work within the system to get the sentence reduced. This is what the embassy does helping Americans locked up abroad
I think a prisoner swap is a bit absurd
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 5th, 2022 at 5:54:13 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: terapined
This is where the embassy should help. Have lawyers appeal if that's possible. You work within the system to get the sentence reduced. This is what the embassy does helping Americans locked up abroad
I think a prisoner swap is a bit absurd

That is assuming the Country has a fair legal system for foreigners. You can't work within a system that does not exist. That is like saying somebody captured by the Taliban should just appeal through their process and that America should not swap prisoners.
August 6th, 2022 at 5:32:29 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

Where did you find those numbers? I have been curious about what different sentences are given for different crimes in Russia.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 6th, 2022 at 5:46:48 AM permalink
Gandler
Where did you find those numbers? I have been curious about what different sentences are given for different crimes in Russia.

"Cannabis in Russia is illegal. Possession of up to 6 grams (or two grams of hashish) is an administrative offense, punishable by a fine or detention of 15 days. Possession of larger amounts is a criminal offense."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_in_Russia#:~:text=Cannabis%20in%20Russia%20is%20illegal,amounts%20is%20a%20criminal%20offense.

https://sensiseeds.com/en/blog/countries/cannabis-in-russia-laws-use-history/

And, apparently the fine is actually only 5000 Rubles for non-criminal possession which is like 80 USD, so its even less than I thought.

Even if she was charged with criminal offense (based on amount, which she should not have been), it would be a max fine of 40,000 Rubles or like 600 USD or two years in prison or work camps.

This is a lesser-known story of an American English teacher and former embassy worker in his 60s sentenced to 14 years in a max security penal colony for 17gs of weed, when such a sentence should be for over 100gs. (Apparently its common practice for Russian police to vastly round up for foreigners on weed charges and tack on other charges like trafficking and improper storage). Clearly for political leverage. Americans should never visit Russia, its just too much of a risk.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61849579
Page 2 of 12<12345>Last »