Griner swap

Page 3 of 12<123456>Last »
August 6th, 2022 at 6:07:18 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
That is assuming the Country has a fair legal system for foreigners. You can't work within a system that does not exist. That is like saying somebody captured by the Taliban should just appeal through their process and that America should not swap prisoners.

We got thousands of Americans in prisons all over the world. Why should Griener get swap treatment and all the other prisoners left to rot???????????????
The US govt needs to do for Greiner what we do for all Americans locked up abroad. No more and no less.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 6th, 2022 at 6:15:28 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
We got thousands of Americans in prisons all over the world. Why should Griener get swap treatment and all the other prisoners left to rot???????????????
The US govt needs to do for Greiner what we do for all Americans locked up abroad. No more and no less.

It depends on why they are locked up and if the charges are fair or if the charges are clearly a political attack because of their nationality.

There are many Americans locked up legitimately. This is not one of them.
August 6th, 2022 at 6:35:10 AM permalink
terapined
It depends on why they are locked up and if the charges are fair or if the charges are clearly a political attack because of their nationality.

There are many Americans locked up legitimately. This is not one of them.

She broke local laws
Yea the sentence is harsh
But
She pleaded GUILTY
GUILTY
It's absolutely legit
The USA has 40k in jail for MJ offenses
Why does Greiner get special treatment while we have 40k in prison
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 6th, 2022 at 7:03:07 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I think the middle ground is arguing for a reduced sentence based on Russian law and the facts.

I can't see any reason at all she would be using Russia get more of the drug she got easily in a prescription nor any attempt to do anything nefarious other than personal use.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 6th, 2022 at 7:06:48 AM permalink
rxwine
Personally, any country that is going to throw me in jail for even a year is enough of deterrent for most anything. Spitting on the ground. Using the wrong fork.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 6th, 2022 at 7:21:01 AM permalink
rxwine
Part of the problem was just bad luck. If you happen to be in a country that becomes unstable politically or becomes at odds with the US like Russia, your situation has just become less than ideal to say the least. Better be looking for a quiet and quick exit.
August 7th, 2022 at 5:49:35 AM permalink
Riverjordan
Threads: 23
I feel there's no way that Britney Griner is actually going to serve roughly 9 years in an Overseas prison. Especially since she's a huge Basketball Celebrity. Some random Jane Schmoe on the street, yes, a huge Basketball Celebrity? No.
Alec Baldwin's gun should have been CGI. Would have prevented the tragedy. Facts.
August 7th, 2022 at 6:19:56 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
She broke local laws
Yea the sentence is harsh
But
She pleaded GUILTY
GUILTY
It's absolutely legit
The USA has 40k in jail for MJ offenses
Why does Greiner get special treatment while we have 40k in prison

How many of that 40K are in jail for first time possession? I would guess most are incarnated for distribution, selling, supplying to minors, etc.... Also, I would guess most are not in jail for 9 years. Plus I would take an American jail (even the worst ones) over a Russian prison any day.

Of course, she pled guilty, so would I if I was somewhere in a kangaroo court where the outcome was certain and pleading guilty may slightly increase my favor.
August 7th, 2022 at 7:35:11 AM permalink
terapined
How many of that 40K are in jail for first time possession? I would guess most are incarnated for distribution, selling, supplying to minors, etc.... Also, I would guess most are not in jail for 9 years. Plus I would take an American jail (even the worst ones) over a Russian prison any day.

Of course, she pled guilty, so would I if I was somewhere in a kangaroo court where the outcome was certain and pleading guilty may slightly increase my favor.

Why do you think she should get special treatment and the rest of Americans locked up abroad dont???????
Celebrity status???????
She broke local laws
She pleaded guilty
Again we should treat her like we treat all Americans locked abroad.
August 7th, 2022 at 11:44:55 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Again we should treat her like we treat all Americans locked abroad.

Sure, but Biden needs to woo the progressives back, and she's their poster child.

Griner is a spud in a game of political hot potato.
Page 3 of 12<123456>Last »