Alec Baldwin Shooting

Page 2 of 2<12
August 30th, 2022 at 6:08:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Gandler
Do you think he would have even known the difference between blank rounds and live rounds even if he did check the gun?

I don't know anything about Alec Baldwins firearms history, but I would guess he (and the vast majority of actors) would not have a clue what a live round looks like versus a blank round (they will just see the metal round in the chamber). Whoever prepared the gun (the armorer) is more responsible.

Are actors supposed to check their horses to make sure they don't have some aggressive disease that will cause them to attack somebody nearby? How much knowledge of what they are doing on screen with every random prop are they really supposed to have, or are the experts (animal wranglers, armorers, vehicle experts, etc....)? If they are driving a military vehicle and there is a massive blowout and the debris kills somebody, are they responsible for not checking the tires before getting in the driver's seat?

Ultimately the equipment expert needs to be responsible and the director/producer or whoever sets the safety policies and checklists on the given set.

Pretty sure the defense will be able to get testimony from other actors/productions that not all actors are required to check guns and that some do and some don't.

Even still I suppose a jury could still decide to charge him. If it's something written into a code for all movie productions, then maybe they automatically get him.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 30th, 2022 at 6:25:20 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
Pretty sure the defense will be able to get testimony from other actors/productions that not all actors are required to check guns and that some do and some don't.

Even still I suppose a jury could still decide to charge him. If it's something written into a code for all movie productions, then maybe they automatically get him.

What if it was a weapon where the rounds are loaded in a magazine, and you are carrying multiple magazines. Is every actor supposed to pull each round out of every magazine one by one before every take to make sure they are blanks? In an scene with hundreds of extras using magazine weapons? (IE most war movies back in the day). There gets a point where that is an unrealistic expectation (you are expecting every random actor to be able to identity types of rounds, and then safely reload them). There is a reason such entertainment companies pay experts a lot of money to handle such things.

Why blanks are still used now instead of CGI, I don't know, I am not a film expert, but I guess there must be a reason to it (even if its just cost, because I think this was a low budget indie movie from what I recall of the original articles).

I don't know if there is even case law on these types of things. I can think of one example, a James Bond movie from the early 80s where in a battle scene one of the rounds of an automatic rifle was a live round, and somebody got grazed (no death or serious injury, and this was not even U.S.), I am sure if you go way back in the day it must have happened, with so many old war movies using blanks and hundreds of extras shooting at each other in much more rushed circumstances, I would be almost more surprised if it did not happen. But, I would also guess if it was not a popular start who shot or got shot, it probably got quickly covered up....

I am not an Alec Baldwin fan, but I just don't see how he is responsible to check every round every take, that is just not realistic for any actor (even if they know what they are doing, which most probably do not...).
August 31st, 2022 at 11:16:17 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
My revolver indeed can not be fired without pulling the trigger. Indeed some kind of obstruction to the hammer, so it cannot go fully forward, develops when the hammer is back the tiniest amount and the trigger is in its normal position. The rotation of the cylinder is irrelevant. You can see the hammer is not fully back to the position it goes to after firing, and it won't go back no matter what you do short of pulling the trigger.

So I learned something. If you cock it and change your mind about firing the gun, you still need to pull the trigger. But you should release the trigger along with slowly returning the hammer. The obstruction to the hammer is going to be there right away, perhaps immediately as the trigger returns. I can't see this bar or whatever it is.

I never realized how safe a revolver is. People talked back in the day about not having a round in one of the slots of the cylinder, the one in front of the firing pin, so a dropped gun wouldn't fire. Can't happen to this gun. If the trigger returns to normal position, the hammer can't contact the pin. I wondered why revolvers don't have safeties you can turn on and off, but I can see now you don't need one.

Apparently there is some dispute about whether the Rust movie gun in question could fire by being jolted, but that is immaterial.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 31st, 2022 at 11:58:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Oh, I was going to see if I could use both hands and fire it without pulling the trigger, by rotating the cylinder with the other hand, but note the rotation of the cylinder I found to be irrelevant.
September 10th, 2022 at 6:22:18 AM permalink
odiousgambit
OK so maybe I owe this guy an apology. Or maybe not, he assumed we had seen this video. If he is right about which gun is at issue, then he has convinced me Baldwin had to pull the trigger. The FBI confirming this fact also would mean the safety features the gun is supposed to have, had them, and were in working order. Pretty much all the safety features I learned about with my own revolver.

This video precedes the other video by him that I posted

November 18th, 2022 at 2:01:19 PM permalink
odiousgambit
more revelations are coming I think

https://nypost.com/2022/11/18/rust-set-had-two-negligent-discharges-before-fatal-shooting-cops/

Page 2 of 2<12