Fetterman v Oz

Page 4 of 13<1234567>Last »
October 28th, 2022 at 2:12:08 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: SOOPOO
What you mean to say is ‘I am a liberal, so I don’t like Any Coney Barrett’, but you accidentally typed what you did?

Geez. Just admit it. If she had the same exact qualifications but was in favor of Roe v Wade she magically would be qualified in your eyes?

I’m a Trump voter (for which somewhat regret) and will probably begrudgingly vote for Oz.

I don’t affiliate with any political party, and have no issues calling out the insane double standards on either side. IMO this forum tends to lean on the conservative side, which is why my snarky comments usually cut that direction.

Barrett has never tried a case to verdict or argued an appeal in any court. She’s absolutely unqualified and was only chosen because she is a woman that identifies as republican.

For the record, I am pro-choice but am mostly fine with leaving it up to the states. Typically, and in the case of RvW, I am against the Supreme Court reversing landmark decisions that have been on the books for decades. But that has nothing to do with the topic of abortion rights.
October 28th, 2022 at 2:14:57 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Quote: AZDuffman
What "problem?" That she can actually define what a woman is?

No that’s fine. I agree there’s a total of 2 genders.

But how is that relevant? Did I miss a ruling on transgender rights?
October 28th, 2022 at 3:00:38 PM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Quote: gamerfreak
For the record, I am pro-choice but am mostly fine with leaving it up to the states. Typically, and in the case of RvW, I am against the Supreme Court reversing landmark decisions that have been on the books for decades. But that has nothing to do with the topic of abortion rights.

So by this metric, Brown v Board of Education which overturned Plessey v. Ferguson was equally wrong as Dobbs?
Are we to understand you are still in favor of "separate but equal" as a valid position?
Afterall, Plessey v Ferguson was the "law of the land" for 58 years.
The position of never overturning a 50 year old ruling just does fly despite the Left's claims that it is significant.
If a prior SCOTUS decision was wrong and made up out of "whole cloth", it should be overturned.
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
October 28th, 2022 at 3:31:03 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Quote: JCW09
So by this metric, Brown v Board of Education which overturned Plessey v. Ferguson was equally wrong as Dobbs?
Are we to understand you are still in favor of "separate but equal" as a valid position?
Afterall, Plessey v Ferguson was the "law of the land" for 58 years.
The position of never overturning a 50 year old ruling just does fly despite the Left's claims that it is significant.
If a prior SCOTUS decision was wrong and made up out of "whole cloth", it should be overturned.

Of course I support Brown v. Board, that’s why I used the word “typically”.

There’s obviously exceptions like that, but especially in cases that seek to protect rights rather than restrict or open the door to restricting them, the court should seek to preserve status-quo and uphold previous decisions.

Preserving traditional social institutions and practices is a hallmark of conservatism.
October 28th, 2022 at 3:41:25 PM permalink
JCW09
Preserving traditional social institutions and practices is a hallmark of conservatism.

As is limited federal government, limited to the specified powers given to the Feds by the States limited by the Constitution.
We are a Union of States, a Democratic Republic.
Restricting the Feds to the tasks given to them by the States is the core of Conservatism.
All Dobbs did was put the decision on abortion back where it belongs, in the hands of the States.
It is hilarious that the Leftists are upset when the abortion decision is put in the hands of the voters.
It's almost like their view of unlimited abortion rights isn't supported by the majority voters.
Democrats against Democracy, pretty hilarious actually.
Look how beautifully the concept worked in Kansas.
Kansas, a Red State, got to decide for themselves how they want abortion to work for Kansas.
If you don't like the outcome, move or rally for your cause at the next democratic opportunity.
October 29th, 2022 at 4:16:39 AM permalink
gamerfreak
As is limited federal government, limited to the specified powers given to the Feds by the States limited by the Constitution.
We are a Union of States, a Democratic Republic.
Restricting the Feds to the tasks given to them by the States is the core of Conservatism.
All Dobbs did was put the decision on abortion back where it belongs, in the hands of the States.
It is hilarious that the Leftists are upset when the abortion decision is put in the hands of the voters.
It's almost like their view of unlimited abortion rights isn't supported by the majority voters.
Democrats against Democracy, pretty hilarious actually.
Look how beautifully the concept worked in Kansas.
Kansas, a Red State, got to decide for themselves how they want abortion to work for Kansas.
If you don't like the outcome, move or rally for your cause at the next democratic opportunity.

There’s quite a few conservatives trying to use the Federal government to outright ban abortion.
October 29th, 2022 at 8:19:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
There’s quite a few conservatives trying to use the Federal government to outright ban abortion.

And many liberals who want the feds to subsidize abortion mills.
The President is a fink.
October 30th, 2022 at 11:13:48 AM permalink
JCW09

There are lots of people on both sides of the aisle that want to do a bunch of stuff.
But they don't have the votes to get done.
So what is your point exactly? I concede there are extreme positions on both sides of the aisle.
Biden/Pelosi/Schumer want to ban AR-15's, I wish them good luck with that.
I wish the same 'luck' to the "quite a few conservatives" you mention above.
October 30th, 2022 at 7:39:59 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
There are lots of people on both sides of the aisle that want to do a bunch of stuff.
But they don't have the votes to get done.
So what is your point exactly? I concede there are extreme positions on both sides of the aisle.
Biden/Pelosi/Schumer want to ban AR-15's, I wish them good luck with that.
I wish the same 'luck' to the "quite a few conservatives" you mention above.

Good points. Since upwards of 2/3 of the populace nationwide is in favor of the right to have an abortion, I am not worried about a nationwide ban. When it all shakes out there might be a few states that it will not be legal. If that matters to you, don’t live in one of those states. You don’t like the tax structure in NY. Move. Etc….
October 31st, 2022 at 4:42:19 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote:
New NYT/Siena polls of key Senate races:

ARIZONA
Kelly 51
Masters 45

GEORGIA
Warnock 49
Walker 46

NEVADA
Masto 47
Laxalt 47

PENNSYLVANIA
Fetterman 49
Oz 44

Fetterman’s stroke was a known issue pre-debate.

Oz’s abortion should be between “ a woman, her doctor, and local politicians” was the gaffe of the season.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
Page 4 of 13<1234567>Last »