California urban traffic jam in the future when electric system breaks down and gasoline cars are ba

Page 2 of 4<1234>
September 5th, 2022 at 8:50:00 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
You know, the standard mechanics car lift usually rated around 10,000 lbs. Just from memory, I don't think it takes more than 5 -10 seconds to bring an entire car up to shoulder height.

It's more about design and precision.

And a 2nd lift for the 2 Ton battery that must fit through the floor lift. Probably would need to charge something around $500 to swap batteries, charge the removed one, eat the damage that would be bound happen, depreciation on the special changing station you would need to build. If you had only 1 in your garage what kind of line up would there be? It is not a viable alternate for fast charging stations.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 5th, 2022 at 8:54:04 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: missedhervee
Sure, it is "possible" to design and develop the tech to quickly replace on board heavy batteries with fresh ones, but the equipment will cost a lot more than a gas pump and will require TLC / regualar maintenance, not to mention a lot more room both for equipment and for a large stash of replacement batteries.

One question: are ALL battery packs now identical?

If not they should be for the above scenario to be economically viable.

Gasoline has to conform to standards; no reason battery packs can't. A regular gas station has to have gasoline trucked in. So, that's a cost that would be reduced in exchange for maintenance.

The space requirement made me think of those towers they build to sell cars. Build up not out.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 5th, 2022 at 8:54:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Unless they invent super fast charging, I think we will have battery stations. You stick a credit card in and puit a deposit on a battery and it's loaded into the car. The battery you turn in is checked for damage or failure automatically. And your card gets credit if it is still usable. Even when I'm long distance driving, going 70mph, 4 hours is 280 miles and I imagine most people at least are ready to get out and stretch. They should be able to manage a battery exchange in the same time it takes to fill a tank. So pretty much the same as now.

Battery exchange will have problems. Musk showed some Vance auto change system. Those of us who know said wait until the cas has had a couple winters and things get dirty. Plus everything has to be standard which will not happen.
The President is a fink.
September 5th, 2022 at 9:01:04 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman
And a 2nd lift for the 2 Ton battery that must fit through the floor lift. Probably would need to charge something around $500 to swap batteries, charge the removed one, eat the damage that would be bound happen, depreciation on the special changing station you would need to build. If you had only 1 in your garage what kind of line up would there be? It is not a viable alternate for fast charging stations.

$500! One man could raise an entire car with a couple hand powered jacks by hand without electricity.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 5th, 2022 at 9:12:52 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
Battery exchange will have problems. Musk showed some Vance auto change system. Those of us who know said wait until the cas has had a couple winters and things get dirty. Plus everything has to be standard which will not happen.

No reason, current tesla batteries shouldn't have problems with the elements if they have to be that exposed to the elements. They run electric moto cross bikes in mud.

I ran my electric bicycle battery for years in more exposure to elements than any car battery
September 5th, 2022 at 9:24:30 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
So, where will the needed electricity come from?

Hydro could be iffy given the mega drought, and wind / solar is in its infancy.

Leaves fossil fuel and nuke.

Besides, if we go EV and the rest of the world doesn't little will be affected: pollutants circle the globe.
September 5th, 2022 at 9:33:00 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: missedhervee
So, where will the needed electricity come from?

Portland homeless peddling generators on modified bicycles?

I've addressed enough questions for one morning.
September 5th, 2022 at 10:29:29 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: kenarman
The batteries in Tesla's range from 1000 to 4000 pounds. I don't see changing a 2 Ton battery in 15 minutes. Tesla's charging station are limited to 30 minutes many others to 40 minutes. The fuller the battery is the slower the charging rate gets so 100% is seldom the goal.

A few years ago Tesla was talking about having battery swap stations along the highways. If I remember correctly they thought it would take about 20 minutes.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 5th, 2022 at 11:00:02 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: DRich
A few years ago Tesla was talking about having battery swap stations along the highways. If I remember correctly they thought it would take about 20 minutes.

Sorry, twenty minutes is unacceptable for we fast-paced, impatient Americans.

Back to the drawing board.
September 5th, 2022 at 11:02:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
No reason, current tesla batteries shouldn't have problems with the elements if they have to be that exposed to the elements. They run electric moto cross bikes in mud.

I ran my electric bicycle battery for years in more exposure to elements than any car battery

The battery is not the issue. Corrosion of the bolts and other parts that hold it in place is the issue. I’ve worked on many a car that lives in the elements and the underside is not pretty.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 4<1234>