Lock her up!

Page 1 of 212>
September 7th, 2022 at 10:55:55 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
This is unbelievable.

Alabama is now locking up pregnant women who admit to smoking weed while pregnant: they won't allow bail and insist they get drug treatment as a condition of release.

Wow... we really have hit a new low.

https://www.oregonlive.com/nation/2022/09/pregnant-women-are-being-jailed-for-months-in-one-alabama-county-the-county-says-the-policy-protects-their-fetuses.html
September 7th, 2022 at 11:42:55 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: missedhervee
This is unbelievable.

Alabama is now locking up pregnant women who admit to smoking weed while pregnant: they won't allow bail and insist they get drug treatment as a condition of release.

https://www.oregonlive.com/nation/2022/09/pregnant-women-are-being-jailed-for-months-in-one-alabama-county-the-county-says-the-policy-protects-their-fetuses.html

No doubt Alito is OK with this. He will reason that the state is protecting the embryo that has full constitutional rights as an unborn person
This is what happens when you put the religious nuts in charge
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 7th, 2022 at 12:24:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
It does show how bogus the claim that the father should have equal say over whether an abortion is allowed if the two disagree. Because the father of the baby can mainline drugs during the whole pregnancy while mom is held in jail for potentially causing harm with even one admission of marijuana use.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 7th, 2022 at 2:05:29 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
This is unbelievable.

You left out a critical piece, she was carrying an illegal (unregistered) gun when arrested. I would guess that is why she is not allowed bail.

As for requiring rehab pre-trial, I don't have a huge problem with this, my only issue would be if it only applied to pregnant people. I mean, shoot, in my State anyone arrested for a DUI has to (almost always) do some kind of rehab as a condition of their bond pre-trial (also getting barred from consuming, possessing, or being in stores that make 51% of their revenue from the sale of alcohol during their bond, and if found guilty during the course of their probabtion as well), I think its reasonable.

You get arrested for drugs or alcohol (legal or otherwise) expect to have to go to some kind of rehab/counseling..... And, I would guess most people on a random first time DUI arrest are not alcoholics, and don't really need counseling and barriers to possession, but it just goes with the territory (and you can argue its a further way to deter and punish before the trial).
September 7th, 2022 at 2:31:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Holding someone for an unregistered gun without any additional offense sounds extreme, for what I assume is pro-gun Alabama. Without another offense, that sounds more like process someone at jail, allow bail out with a court date set for the person to return. Then if the court sees fit you might get some additional jail time.

That's assuming otherwise you have a clean record, or very minor and irregular violations in your past.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 7th, 2022 at 2:46:49 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: rxwine
Holding someone for an unregistered gun without any additional offense sounds extreme, for what I assume is pro-gun Alabama. Without another offense, that sounds more like process someone at jail, allow bail out with a court date set for the person to return. Then if the court sees fit you might get some additional jail time.

That's assuming otherwise you have a clean record, or very minor and irregular violations in your past.

There were additional offenses, she had drugs (illegal in Alabama) and an illegal gun on her. This is usually a bad combo legally.....

Plus there may (likely) have been other factors (charges), the article does not say why she was arrested (police don't search random people for drugs and guns on the street), was she driving under the influence? Doing something else illegal? Quite possibly there are other charges as well that the article does not mention.....

If the police had her in for questioning after arrest, quite possibly the initial arrest was for a completely separate crime (other than the gun and drugs) not being mentioned.....
September 7th, 2022 at 3:43:09 PM permalink
missedhervee
The denial of bail, period, and conditioning her release on getting drug treatment when there has been no trial / conviction is the issue.

Hell, even murderers are offered bail.

Plus, she's a white woman: that counts for a lot in the Alabama judicial system.

September 7th, 2022 at 4:02:24 PM permalink
Gandler
The denial of bail, period, and conditioning her release on getting drug treatment, when there is no proof she has a serious drug problem, is the issue.

Hell, even murderers are offered bail.

Plus, she's a white woman: that counts for a lot in the Alabama judicial system.

Not really though. It goes back the basic premise of substance related bonds. We accept that all (basically, yes exceptions, etc....) DUI bonds should have rehab/counseling elements, and purchase restricting elements, even if it was clearly just a young dude at a party who has probably never tried alcohol before (IE clearly not an alcoholic) ... Its just an acceptable recourse for people arrested for substance offenses.

Its like Bill Maher said, "When I got a DUI, I was not an alcoholic, I barely drank, I had to go to AA every week for a year, its just the price that you pay to make society feel good"...... Its very common for all drugs, illegal or legal. My only problem with it would be if it was strictly a requirement for pregnant people (which does not appear to be the case).
September 7th, 2022 at 5:00:17 PM permalink
missedhervee
The difference is in a DUI situation there is a finding or an admission of guilt.

Not the case with this young lady: no finding, no conviction, but cruel and unusual punishment administered.

So she smokes pot: so what?

She should have an opportunity for cash bail, same as any other accused.
September 7th, 2022 at 5:24:19 PM permalink
Gandler
The difference is in a DUI situation there is a finding or an admission of guilt.

Not the case with this young lady: no finding, no conviction, but cruel and unusual punishment administered.

So she smokes pot: so what?

She should have an opportunity for cash bail, same as any other accused.

Not if you are out on bond awaiting trial for a DUI in which case such pre-trial programs can be implemented (sometimes standardly, sometimes at the discretion of the Court).

As for smoking pot, I don't care. But, I suspect there is more to it. It is super easy to get a legal gun in Alabama (too easy IMO), why was she in a situation where she was interacting with the police with drugs and an illegal gun in a way that they discovered such? The circumstances of the initial police interaction are very concealed in all coverage that I can find, and I suspect there is a reason for that. My guess is she was not smoking pot at a college party.....

Edit: Also to your first point, DUI charges can result in pre-trial conditions (including rehab/classes/counseling/driver school, etc.... in many States) as well, as you no doubt know, its not just post-conviction, there are bond requirements (more than just financial in many cases).
Page 1 of 212>