Egypt Morsi

Page 1 of 41234>
July 2nd, 2013 at 5:54:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If Muslim Brotherhood governing falling apart. Can't be totally bad thing.

Of course, it may all go to Hell if it becomes another civil war.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 3rd, 2013 at 3:22:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
If Muslim Brotherhood governing falling apart. Can't be totally bad thing.

Of course, it may all go to Hell if it becomes another civil war.

We should have kept the SOB that we knew. There was bound to be problems when the MB took over.
The President is a fink.
July 3rd, 2013 at 11:45:37 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
We should have kept the SOB that we knew. There was bound to be problems when the MB took over.

What's this 'we'? Don't the Egyptians get to choose?
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 3rd, 2013 at 2:21:47 PM permalink
TheCesspit
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23173794 - Military Ousts President Morsi.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 3rd, 2013 at 3:51:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: TheCesspit
What's this 'we'? Don't the Egyptians get to choose?

Pretty much "no." Whomever takes power will do so only with backing of a greater world power, like the last 100 years+.
The President is a fink.
July 3rd, 2013 at 7:25:45 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Pretty much "no." Whomever takes power will do so only with backing of a greater world power, like the last 100 years+.

Ahhh, your saying it like it is, not how it should be...
July 3rd, 2013 at 9:19:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
According to Wikipedia

In January 2013, an appeals court overturned Mubarak's life sentence, and ordered a retrial. He will however remain in custody. Mubarak returned to court on May 11, 2013 for a retrial on charges of complicity in the murder of protesters.

Could be the greatest comeback in the history of politics.
July 4th, 2013 at 4:47:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: TheCesspit
Ahhh, your saying it like it is, not how it should be...

Reality is freedom and free elections are notgoing to stick in Egypt. The reason why freedom and elections "stuck" in the USA and later Europe is that we had almost 300 years since the Enlightenment for our culture to develop to accept them. And we set our laws up under a Common Law (USA, Brigtian) or Code Law (France and most of Europe) system where law mattered. Egypt and the Middle East have set up under an Islamist system, which is more incompatible with the concept of freedom.

IMHO, some societies "need" some kind of monarch. It can be a Constitutional Monarchy, but they need that person who is in charge because of Divine Right of Kings or whatever other local term they use. Life may be crappy, but things are "normal.

As an example, take the TV Show "The Office." Michael Scott wasn't a great leader in most respects, but his people responded to him. Nobody else could figure how to keep things running with the same success. I know this is a comedy, but it is the best example I can think of this early.
The President is a fink.
July 4th, 2013 at 6:22:24 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
IMHO, some societies "need" some kind of monarch. It can be a Constitutional Monarchy, but they need that person who is in charge because of Divine Right of Kings or whatever other local term they use. Life may be crappy, but things are "normal.

In many respects I think the USA endows it's president with the trappings of monarchy. Possibly even more than the UK bestows on it's actual monarch. I think Queen Elizabeth travels with about 25-30 people. The president sometimes takes thousands of people with him, and never fewer than a few hundred.
July 4th, 2013 at 6:59:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Pacomartin
In many respects I think the USA endows it's president with the trappings of monarchy. Possibly even more than the UK bestows on it's actual monarch. I think Queen Elizabeth travels with about 25-30 people. The president sometimes takes thousands of people with him, and never fewer than a few hundred.

POTUS travels heavy because of the needs of security and just running things. Some of this is rather recent. Go to the aircraft boneyard near Tuscon and you caN go thru the JFK AF-1. What amazed me is how simple it is compared to today. The galley was just for POTUS and a few select staff, presumably including the flight crew. No big planned meals, the cook stopped in or called someone and asked what POTUS was in the mood for, went to the grocery store and picked up what he needed, then presumably put it on his expense report.

To me, "monarchy" in the USA is the celeb culture we have. They rotate, but a certain kind of people care what LiLo or Kim Kardashian is doing in their life. This fills our anthropologiacal need for royalty.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 41234>