Electric Boat

Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »
September 17th, 2022 at 6:55:23 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Pacomartin
Much less sci-fi. Someone simply disabling the boat with depth charges and then stealing all those warheads,

I don't know that is much different than a manned sub. I would assume a self destruct "scuttle" feature would be implemented.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 17th, 2022 at 9:46:47 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I just checked out the first successful combat submarine
The Hunley
It disappeared after sinking a Union ship
Rediscovered and brought up in 2000
Fascinating
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 17th, 2022 at 11:22:03 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: petroglyph
Like what for instance? One that can take it's orders from space?

Basically someone "hacking" the remote control system and seizing control.

As I understand it, subs receive instructions when underwater not from satellites but from very specialized very low wave communications though the water; hypothetically a nation or organization could construct their own clandestine vey low wave communication system and take control of a drone submarine IF they learn how, either by espionage or trial and error.
September 17th, 2022 at 1:26:30 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Narco traffickers already have pilotless subs that deliver tons of cocaine from Columbia. Not a big leap for the DoD to come up with one.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 17th, 2022 at 1:40:38 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: terapined
I just checked out the first successful combat submarine
The Hunley
It disappeared after sinking a Union ship
Rediscovered and brought up in 2000
Fascinating

I believe that was built at the end of the 1800's.
September 17th, 2022 at 1:43:06 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: missedhervee
Basically someone "hacking" the remote control system and seizing control.

As I understand it, subs receive instructions when underwater not from satellites but from very specialized very low wave communications though the water; hypothetically a nation or organization could construct their own clandestine vey low wave communication system and take control of a drone submarine IF they learn how, either by espionage or trial and error.

Very true, but they would still have to break the encryption. Breaking encryption is very difficult these days especially if it has to be done in under a few years.

I have an acquaintance that works at Sweet Tea in Georgia and he is able to tell some very fascinating stories (without getting into all of the classified stuff).
September 18th, 2022 at 5:18:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
A Columbia class submarine can carry nuclear warheads with hundreds of times the kiltons of the Hiroshima atomic bomb. Whenever people talk about a crewless vessel with this kind of destructive capability I envision many disastrous scenarios.

There's also possibility of unanticipated events. Like just recently there was a story of a food delivery robot which crossed through a police investigation area to deliver its meal.

(Frankly, I would probably send an extra tip for that if it was my food)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 18th, 2022 at 6:29:34 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: DRich
I have an acquaintance that works at Sweet Tea in Georgia and he is able to tell some very fascinating stories (without getting into all of the classified stuff).

What and where is this "Sweet Tea" you refer to, and why would they have classified info?

I found zero about it on a quick google.
September 19th, 2022 at 2:28:41 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
There's also possibility of unanticipated events.

One of the most popular films of 1983 was WarGames which opens with a series of surprise nuclear attack drills, where a significant percentage of United States Air Force Strategic Missile Wing controllers prove unwilling to carry out orders for a missile launch. NORAD decides to automate their nuclear missiles.

September 19th, 2022 at 3:29:01 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
One of the most popular films of 1983 was WarGames which opens with a series of surprise nuclear attack drills, where a significant percentage of United States Air Force Strategic Missile Wing controllers prove unwilling to carry out orders for a missile launch. NORAD decides to automate their nuclear missiles.

This movie was a huge huge part of the book Ready Player One. You had to know it inside and out to pass one of the contests in the book.
I don't think this movie was even mentioned in the Ready Player One movie
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »