Electric Boat

Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »
September 19th, 2022 at 6:09:34 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Pacomartin
One of the most popular films of 1983 was WarGames which opens with a series of surprise nuclear attack drills, where a significant percentage of United States Air Force Strategic Missile Wing controllers prove unwilling to carry out orders for a missile launch. NORAD decides to automate their nuclear missiles.

The problem with AI, is you won't be able to do without it either in war. Humans can't compete against the processing and reaction time of smart machines.

If your enemies use it, you have to have it as well.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 19th, 2022 at 8:05:12 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: missedhervee
What and where is this "Sweet Tea" you refer to, and why would they have classified info?

I found zero about it on a quick google.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Cryptologic_Center

It is NSA and they listen to communications and intercepts from all over the world.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 19th, 2022 at 10:16:01 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Ford gave its dealerships a ultimatum: Either commit to getting certified as a "Model e" dealership--requiring a huge investment and drastic changes--or else you won't be allowed to sell any fully electric models after the end of this year. Dealership owners only have until October 31 to make up their minds.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 19th, 2022 at 11:07:59 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: DRich
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Cryptologic_Center

It is NSA and they listen to communications and intercepts from all over the world.

Ah, Echelon redux: thanks.
September 19th, 2022 at 11:12:25 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Ford gave its dealerships a ultimatum: Either commit to getting certified as a "Model e" dealership--requiring a huge investment and drastic changes--or else you won't be allowed to sell any fully electric models after the end of this year. Dealership owners only have until October 31 to make up their minds.

I do not see how Ford is getting away with this. Dealers pain to sell Ford cars. Then Ford changes the rules.
The President is a fink.
September 19th, 2022 at 4:13:23 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: AZDuffman
I do not see how Ford is getting away with this. Dealers pain to sell Ford cars. Then Ford changes the rules.

I don't think it will be too many more years before the whole dealership model dissolves. I would guess in 10 years a good percentage of new cars will be sold online. The only reason many dealerships exist today is for their service centers.
September 19th, 2022 at 4:25:51 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I don't think it will be too many more years before the whole dealership model dissolves. I would guess in 10 years a good percentage of new cars will be sold online. The only reason many dealerships exist today is for their service centers.

Service will still be needed as will a place to deliver the actual car. Another biggie is the dealers carry the inventory. That floor financing is a source of profit if the manufacturers. Since the china virus dealers have learned they do not need as much inventory. It would be a good thing if we went back to the days where you ordered what you want and waited for it to come in. Might end some of the bad buying decisions lots of people make.
The President is a fink.
September 19th, 2022 at 5:19:49 PM permalink
DRich
It would be a good thing if we went back to the days where you ordered what you want and waited for it to come in.

I agree with this. I can still see the "Dealers" having a few cars on the lot for test drives and cars would be ordered and available in 30 days. I buy one new car about every 18 months and I haven't test drove a car in 20 years. If it is good enough for Motor Trend and Car & Driver I assume it will drive well for me.
September 20th, 2022 at 3:12:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I agree with this. I can still see the "Dealers" having a few cars on the lot for test drives and cars would be ordered and available in 30 days. I buy one new car about every 18 months and I haven't test drove a car in 20 years. If it is good enough for Motor Trend and Car & Driver I assume it will drive well for me.

Having some stock makes sense. Some people need a car TODAY, or just fast. Say if their car got totaled or stolen. But dealer stock has really gotten bigger than it needs to be. When I bought my only new car, an Accent, the dealer had 50 or so SUVs, I forget which model, in stock and was renting space on the lot of some seasonal place until fall. Said, "I'll make you a deal as I have to be off that lot by September!" The factory made it worth his while.

Other case is if a new model is coming out and they expect it to be popular. People want that fast. Or if there are few options on the trim level to a basic car. When I bought my Accent there were trim levels but most were the same one. Color was the difference.

All in all on that I think perhaps 25% of what is usually in stock would be right if we went back to a order-build model. But here is the problem. Buyer remorse! These days anyone selling anything is so afraid of that. It is why we have spot delivery. You drive it off you own it. You order it and you can cancel. even if with a small penalty.

The car makers want it off the lot.
The President is a fink.
September 20th, 2022 at 7:21:57 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Having some stock makes sense. Some people need a car TODAY, or just fast. Say if their car got totaled or stolen. But dealer stock has really gotten bigger than it needs to be. When I bought my only new car, an Accent, the dealer had 50 or so SUVs, I forget which model, in stock and was renting space on the lot of some seasonal place until fall. Said, "I'll make you a deal as I have to be off that lot by September!" The factory made it worth his while.

Other case is if a new model is coming out and they expect it to be popular. People want that fast. Or if there are few options on the trim level to a basic car. When I bought my Accent there were trim levels but most were the same one. Color was the difference.

All in all on that I think perhaps 25% of what is usually in stock would be right if we went back to a order-build model. But here is the problem. Buyer remorse! These days anyone selling anything is so afraid of that. It is why we have spot delivery. You drive it off you own it. You order it and you can cancel. even if with a small penalty.

The car makers want it off the lot.

The problem with your theory is that the more cars a dealer has on the lot the more car he sells. This is a proven fact in the car industry. The manufacturers control most of what the dealers stock. They send them cars whether they want more or not. The dealers don't get to pick the models or accessories on many of these vehicles. If they don't sell the vehicle in a reasonable amount of time the manufacturer starts charging them for having the vehicle on their lot. The dealers lots act as a huge warehouse for the manufacturers to store vehicle and keep production at a set rate without layoffs.

This is what you sign up for when you take on a dealership.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »