September 28th, 2022 at 5:17:52 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
Wow Drich
Sounds very devastating
Losing a roof sucks.
When was your home built?

I don't know that I have lost a roof. Just heard that many in my neighborhood did.

My house is 30 years old but the roof is only 2 years old.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 28th, 2022 at 5:43:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
News will likely be posting flyover videos of all the hardest hit areas in the morning. Apparently a lot of cell towers have gone down, so may not have many locals who stayed posting anything.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 28th, 2022 at 5:56:06 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I've been through hurricanes too, pretty exciting stuff...unless it gets lethal.

Stay safe, and if it's insured it can be replaced.
September 29th, 2022 at 4:15:23 AM permalink
DRich
Ed, Sanibel causeway collapsed.

https://www.tampabay.com/hurricane/2022/09/29/it-was-just-blasting-us-hours-cape-coral-fort-myers-flooded-by-ian/
September 29th, 2022 at 5:08:35 AM permalink
DRich
We can't even go home to assess the damage as most roads are closed. Hopefully tomorrow we can get home and see the shape of the houses..
September 29th, 2022 at 7:03:35 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
We can't even go home to assess the damage as most roads are closed. Hopefully tomorrow we can get home and see the shape of the houses..

Wow
How close were you to the shore
We build too many homes right up to the shore
When I lived in Tampa, I was in the 20 foot surge zone
Pretty safe in that only a 20 foot surge would effect me regarding flooding.
Unfortunately insurance is going to go up
In the 20 years I owned a home in Tampa, I was getting sticker shock on insurance rates.
Building supplies are going up. Our insurance rates were based on the cost to rebuild the structure.
I had to have 2 policies
One covered rebuilding my townhouse structure itself that was part of the association fee
The other policy was personal to cover the inside of the house.
Kind of glad I sold my place in FL
Still enjoy FL during the winter which is after hurricane season
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 30th, 2022 at 9:16:05 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: rxwine
Unless you've already got one, I'd consider mapping a trip to the nearest Lowes or Home Depot and getting a gas generator before you go home. You should be able to sell a new one pretty easily even if you don't need it. I wouldn't even plan on trying to find one if you wait until you get back should you need one. That's assuming business in the area is back to normal within a few days.

Oh yeah, and if you get one get a long enough extension cord. (I keep hearing warnings about CO poisoning from people keeping them too close to their house window on the outside)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 30th, 2022 at 11:21:16 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Keeping my fingers crossed for Drich
I'm thinking maybe he can't get close to his place
The devastation I'm seeing on the news is incredible
3 miles inland and houses are a total loss from flooding
Really sad. More homeless
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 1st, 2022 at 2:33:25 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
Keeping my fingers crossed for Drich
I'm thinking maybe he can't get close to his place
The devastation I'm seeing on the news is incredible
3 miles inland and houses are a total loss from flooding
Really sad. More homeless

I had committed to renting a second floor condo essentially overlooking the causeway to Sanibel for January. Final payment was due yesterday. Called to cancel and get a refund and a real human answered the phone. Super nice lady who said the condo itself should be ok, but the whole area not so much. No problem with the refund.

She said she lives in a house 1.2 miles from the Gulf, and her house is relatively newly built with all the latest hurricane resistant technology. She said there was storm surge that far inland resulting in her house getting flooded, but no structural damage per se. (To me flooding IS structural damage). She had a portable generator.... but left it in her garage which was flooded thus ruining the generator!

She said the devastation to entire communities was indescribable.

To me the issue is what to do now? I don't think I'd want to live my life in fear of this happening again. When I was looking (to possibly buy) in the area I always was looking miles inland, but I'm not so sure there are enough miles to go to be safe in SW Florida.
October 1st, 2022 at 2:42:06 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: SOOPOO
I had committed to renting a second floor condo essentially overlooking the causeway to Sanibel for January. Final payment was due yesterday. Called to cancel and get a refund and a real human answered the phone. Super nice lady who said the condo itself should be ok, but the whole area not so much. No problem with the refund.

She said she lives in a house 1.2 miles from the Gulf, and her house is relatively newly built with all the latest hurricane resistant technology. She said there was storm surge that far inland resulting in her house getting flooded, but no structural damage per se. (To me flooding IS structural damage). She had a portable generator.... but left it in her garage which was flooded thus ruining the generator!

She said the devastation to entire communities was indescribable.

To me the issue is what to do now? I don't think I'd want to live my life in fear of this happening again. When I was looking (to possibly buy) in the area I always was looking miles inland, but I'm not so sure there are enough miles to go to be safe in SW Florida.

Hurricanes don't really sneak up on you. You have plenty of time to leave the area.
Page 3 of 5<12345>