Hurricane Evacuation

Page 4 of 5<12345>
October 1st, 2022 at 2:46:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
I had committed to renting a second floor condo essentially overlooking the causeway to Sanibel for January. Final payment was due yesterday. Called to cancel and get a refund and a real human answered the phone. Super nice lady who said the condo itself should be ok, but the whole area not so much. No problem with the refund.

I feel bad for that place, only bridge to the island is unusable. Even with a crack team gonna take months to a year. One real grocery store on the island IIRC. It has to have been picked clean. A reminder why to be a prepper. Not sure if I said the same upthread, I have discussed it with several people.

I heard my uncle had a condo on the mainland that was totally destroyed.
The President is a fink.
October 1st, 2022 at 6:50:24 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
According to NASA, during its life cycle, a hurricane can expend as much energy as 10,000 nuclear bombs.

Those illegals DeSantis flew to Martha's Vineyard, must be ecstatic.

'Migrants are heading north because Central America never recovered from last year’s hurricanes'
October 1st, 2022 at 7:10:05 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Hurricane Sandy
DeSantis in the House voted against aid
Said the US govt can't afford it
Doing a 180 with Ian
He also claimed this is a once in 500 year event
WTF
Andrew was worse and I can remember that one

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/sep/30/ron-desantis-hurricane-ian-florida-sandy

The Florida governor ‘put politics aside’ to ask Joe Biden for federal help – unlike when he voted against aid for Hurricane Sandy
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 1st, 2022 at 7:46:05 AM permalink
terapined
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 1st, 2022 at 12:00:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Apparently, Florida has no law requiring a seller to disclose whether a property floods, unless you ask.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 1st, 2022 at 12:46:32 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Apparently, Florida has no law requiring a seller to disclose whether a property floods, unless you ask.

If you apply for a mortgage a flood zone check is run.
The President is a fink.
October 1st, 2022 at 1:19:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
If you apply for a mortgage a flood zone check is run.

I think it's actual flood history of the property that's mandatory is some states, but not in others.

Quote:
No one told Jones the biggest financial investment she was making, her new home, was prone to flooding. The Federal Emergency Management Agency’s flood maps show a low risk for her property. The first time it flooded, around six months after she bought the house, Jones found out from neighbors that flooding had become an issue for the area long before she moved in.

But Georgia does not have flood disclosure laws that require sellers to reveal a home’s flood history.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 1st, 2022 at 1:28:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Me, I'd rather know what actually happened in the area, than what the rating is. If some landowner did something to majorly affect the drainage in the area, that can affect other properties. He may have cut down marshes next to a canal that was diverting water.
October 3rd, 2022 at 6:49:37 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
My family survived Ian. My house came out pretty good. Thankfully no flooding in my house and the inside is fine. The outside looks like a war zone. I had three big trees come down. One miss everything, one bounced off the house but it looks like cosmetic damage only, one fell over knowing part of fence down and fell into neighbors yard but did not hit is house.

Both my mothers house and sisters houses flooded and are uninhabitable. Mother is going to stay the next few months with family out of state and sister is going to live with my wife and I.

We still have no electric, no water, no internet, and cell phone use is very spotty and the system is overwhelmed. After spending the last three days without water and power my wife and I drove back to Ft Lauderdale to get a hotel room to shower and check emails.. Air conditioning feels pretty good right now.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 3rd, 2022 at 7:12:21 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: DRich
My family survived Ian. My house came out pretty good. Thankfully no flooding in my house and the inside is fine. The outside looks like a war zone. I had three big trees come down. One miss everything, one bounced off the house but it looks like cosmetic damage only, one fell over knowing part of fence down and fell into neighbors yard but did not hit is house.

Both my mothers house and sisters houses flooded and are uninhabitable. Mother is going to stay the next few months with family out of state and sister is going to live with my wife and I.

We still have no electric, no water, no internet, and cell phone use is very spotty and the system is overwhelmed. After spending the last three days without water and power my wife and I drove back to Ft Lauderdale to get a hotel room to shower and check emails.. Air conditioning feels pretty good right now.

Wow
Glad to hear about your house
Sorry about your relatives house
Looks like your neighborhood may take a long time to recover
Good luck and keep us posted
I'm will be slowly moving down to northern FL next month
Got a tour scheduled at the BMW factory by Spartanburg today
Page 4 of 5<12345>