Is this 2015 ad in bad taste?

Page 2 of 2<12
October 13th, 2022 at 5:36:50 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: OnceDear
"cut the cheese" meant nothing to me as a brit. I guessed what "Pitch a loaf" meant, never having heard that before either.

The phrase that I always heard was "pinch a loaf".
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 13th, 2022 at 6:35:22 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
This may be ok in Europe but not here
Vacuum cleaner ad
It sucks :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 13th, 2022 at 7:40:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
This may be ok in Europe but not here

The advertisement was in Australia.

In the US Trojan ads have been using 1940s style graphics to reduce consumer complaints.

Funny Swedish condom ad
October 13th, 2022 at 2:59:52 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I have no issue with it, other than my general objection to alcohol commercials still being legal (yes, I know its clearly an AU commercial).
October 13th, 2022 at 4:36:58 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Gandler
I have no issue with it, other than my general objection to alcohol commercials still being legal (yes, I know its clearly an AU commercial).

In 2006, over one in five of 11–15 year olds in England reported drinking alcohol in the week prior to the interview. Although this proportion has been slowly declining in recent years, among those who drank alcohol the average weekly consumption has almost doubled from 5.3 units (42 g alcohol) in 1990 to 10.4 units (83 g alcohol) in 2000.

An independent review of the effects of alcohol pricing and promotion concluded that:

Regardless of their explicit intention there is evidence for an effect of alcohol advertisements on underage drinkers. Consistent with this, evidence suggests that exposure to such interventions as TV, music videos and billboards, which contain alcohol advertisements, predicts onset of youth drinking and increased drinking. As a consequence one may conclude that restricting the volume of advertisements and merchandising is likely to reduce consumption and subsequent harm.
October 13th, 2022 at 4:58:42 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Pacomartin
In 2006, over one in five of 11–15 year olds in England reported drinking alcohol in the week prior to the interview. Although this proportion has been slowly declining in recent years, among those who drank alcohol the average weekly consumption has almost doubled from 5.3 units (42 g alcohol) in 1990 to 10.4 units (83 g alcohol) in 2000.

An independent review of the effects of alcohol pricing and promotion concluded that:

Regardless of their explicit intention there is evidence for an effect of alcohol advertisements on underage drinkers. Consistent with this, evidence suggests that exposure to such interventions as TV, music videos and billboards, which contain alcohol advertisements, predicts onset of youth drinking and increased drinking. As a consequence one may conclude that restricting the volume of advertisements and merchandising is likely to reduce consumption and subsequent harm.

Of course, if alcohol commercials did not cause more people to drink they would not pay money to run them. The U.S. has actually regressed on this (unlike tobacco commercials). Hard liquor ads used to be banned on TV and radio (in the 30s) and then there was an unofficial industry agreement to not advertise on TV and radio (liquor, not beer) for most of modern history. In the 90s they started advertising and it quickly escalated.

And, technically there are no restrictions (in the U.S.), they can advertise on children's stations if they desire (yes, they claim they target stations with 21+ at a certain percent, but again this is voluntary and the stats they rely on are at their discretion, and the last voluntary agreement they had they backpeddled in the 90s).

There really is no need for alcohol commercials, it should just be banned. People who drink know what they like, quirky/silly commercials only make young people interested in alcohol, its never going to get somebody to try a new brand. There is zero benefit to alcohol being allowed to advertise.

I don't often watch TV, but when I do it seems like its commercials for alcohol and prescriptions drugs (something else that virtually every other Western country has banned).
Page 2 of 2<12