More car sales trends

November 29th, 2022 at 8:02:22 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Heard this on the radio yesterday, so just paraphrasing.

Mercedes charging $900 to activate a feature that lets the car go 1 second faster zero to sixty.
Ford Mustang asking for a subscription to turn on feature for heated seats.

Now I never really expected a manned feature like OnStar to remain free on my car.. Same with Syrius Radio. But I'm not sure these other things are going to go over that well with consumers. I particularly hate a subscription idea, if that's really the way the Mustang is supposed to be.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 29th, 2022 at 8:50:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I mentioned this on a thread a few years back. It is not the same as OnStar which you are paying to have a call center at your disposal. All the hardware is there just the manufacturers want recurring revenue. Consumers telling them to go screw is the only answer.
The President is a fink.
November 29th, 2022 at 3:04:38 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
Mercedes charging $900 to activate a feature that lets the car go 1 second faster zero to sixty.
Ford Mustang asking for a subscription to turn on feature for heated seats.

GM now has a subscription service called Super Cruise that lets you take your hands off the wheel while on most limited access highways. Costs $2200 for three years.

Mind you some executives would gladly pay for that service if they could work on their computers or make phone calls, but it is still illegal to talk on the phone or use a computer. You just have to sit their and let your nail polish dry and stare at the road.

The 2022 Tesla Model 3 starts at $48,490 (62.3 kWh battery).
A Model 3 Long Range model begins at $55,990 (82 kWh battery )
A Tesla Model 3 Performance model starts at $61,990 (82 kWh battery )

Although there is a $6000 difference in price between the Long Range model and the Performance model it is simply cheaper to build one vehicle and turn off features via software if they are not purchased. So they can sell you back those features as a subscription service.

And for those people who find a 36 month lease too restrictive, there are now vehicle subscrription services.
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/index.jsp?targetPage=subcriptions.jsp

It's a wacky world we live in.