Advice on turtles as pets

July 3rd, 2013 at 3:43:07 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
My son really wants to get a turtle for a pet. What we want to get is the small kind that people keep in aquariums, like Tuck on the Wonder Pets. They have red stripes on the neck.

However, now I'm not sure how big this type of turtle really is. On the Wonder Pets he looks about the size of a guinea pig, but maybe he is supposed to be an adolescent turtle. Someone told my wife they grow to be about 14" long, but that is second hand.

My question is what kind of turtle should I get that is about 6" long?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 3rd, 2013 at 3:49:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I don't know what kind I had as a kid as we found it (you could not buy turtles back then) and it grew to only 4" or so. This might have been based on where it lived, like a 2 gallon tank. You may want to see if turtles, like some other kinds of animals, can have their growth stunted based on if they live in a smaller cage. Just a thought.
The President is a fink.
July 3rd, 2013 at 3:58:34 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Remember they breathe air, not water, and they need solid ground for sleeping. Seriously, it's amazing how many people don't know this and wind up with drowned turtles.

You may want to read up on the care of reptiles, too. Cold-blooded animals also require heat.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 3rd, 2013 at 4:18:09 PM permalink
MakingBook
Threads: 1
My son (14) wanted a turtle or a lizard. I did some research, then talked him into a ball python. Great decision.

Inexpensive, low maintenance, won't bite, and it's cool watching it take a rat.
July 3rd, 2013 at 5:13:10 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I'd peg Tuck as a painted turtle...

They're relatively easy to care for. They're native to much of the US and I catch several a year. They're not ultra-finicky like some tropical fish, but some care must be taken. In my neck of the woods, we have natural swings of 20*-30*F daily, so "being off" temp wise isn't a huge deal. I'd keep them out of constant, direct Vegas sun, and keep them away from AC vents, but other than that, ambient house temp should be just fine. You should still get a mild heating lamp or pad so he can adjust himself as he sees fit.

These types are primarily aquatic, typically staying at least partially submerged except for migration or sunning. So, more water than "land", but they'll definitely need a place they can get out of the water (typically when cold) so place heat near, in, or on "land".

Sunlight will encourage algae and bacteria growth. Keep this in mind when placing tank.

As far as tank pets go, turtles are by far the stinkiest. A clean tank has a wet, earthy smell that can usually only be sensed immediately adjacent to the tank, a dirty one is more of a stout, swampy scent that may waft a couple feet. I find neither of them unpleasant, but swamps and bogs are my home away from home. I don't reckon you've even seen a bog in many years, so YMMV. Take a whiff at the pet store before purchase so you know what I mean =) The scent doesn't permeate; it won't soak into the carpet or drapes. Lose the source (usually the used water) and the scent goes with it (The light, wet, earthy smell of a clean tank is usually ever present)

Unlike fish, which produce a chemical that will build up and stunt their growth when in a confined, recirculated tank, turtles will grow to determinate size regardless of tank size. About the only things you can do to stunt it are keep it cold (that's mean) or starve it (also mean). Shell wise, you're looking maybe 10" max. When head and tail are out, maybe 14" tip to tail.

All reptiles and especially turtles are known carriers of salmonella. This is one of those things you hear about in print but don't never know anyone in person who's been struck. While I'm probably known as the dirtiest and least hygienic of DT/WoV and would clean the tank while eating a sandwich, care should probably been taken when handled by the very young, very old, or those with weakened immune systems. Washing hands after handling/cleaning should suffice. I usually consider this a non-issue, but after your winter episode, I thought you'd want to know.

Wild specimens are commonly found exceeding 50 years of age. Captives are usually shorter, but this is definitely a long term investment. Despite their wide home range, do not release into the wild should you tire of it.

Source: Lifelong Dirty Country Boy =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 3rd, 2013 at 7:40:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
I

All reptiles and especially turtles are known carriers of salmonella.
)

No way I let my kids be around pet turtles. Just
Google 'salmonella turtle' and read. Its not worth
the constant worry and hassle. Find a better kind
of pet.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 3rd, 2013 at 11:13:53 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Thanks for the advice thus far. Let me digest it. I'll keep you posted.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber