Courage of One Player NHL

Page 1 of 212>
January 30th, 2023 at 5:51:03 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
the courage of one player to 'just say no' to ostracism-fear-forced* participation in LGBTQ+ horse patootie is spreading

the entire NY Rangers team declined . Good for them. We'll hear about this courage in all the media articles!

Oh, wait, you're telling me that's not how it's covered?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-11687931/New-York-Rangers-ditch-wearing-LGBTQ-themed-warmup-jerseys-Pride-Night.html

* English, I think, does not have a word for this and needs it
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 30th, 2023 at 6:22:44 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
ROTFL
Its not bravery or courage
Not even close
Unless you consider not standing for the flag bravery or courage
Do you?????????????????
I take a knee and I'm not brave or courageous. :-)
But hey
Who knows
Odious may claim that terapined is brave and courageous..
Will Odious apply the same logic to me?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 30th, 2023 at 6:41:58 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I think the player is within his rights for not abiding the political agenda a league is pushing. Unless there is something in the contract he has negotiated that requires him to do so. Same for the Rangers team. I may be wrong, but I don’t think there is an openly gay player in the NHL.
January 30th, 2023 at 6:51:38 AM permalink
terapined
I feel sorry for Hockey Players
No doubt CTE is an issue
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 30th, 2023 at 7:11:40 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: SOOPOO
I think the player is within his rights for not abiding the political agenda a league is pushing. Unless there is something in the contract he has negotiated that requires him to do so. Same for the Rangers team. I may be wrong, but I don’t think there is an openly gay player in the NHL.

I think the solution is in the word you used, "contract" What team owners can enforce under the law, they should start putting it in contracts for these "outside the realm" of sport issues.

If it's a against a constitutional right, then of course, they're wasting their time pushing players one way or another. But if owner wants a team to bow to a statue of Colonel Saunders at the beginning of each game then put it in the damn contract, so everyone knows what they're signing up for.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 30th, 2023 at 7:21:45 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
I wouldn't play for a prejudiced team.

If they had a non-pride night and not leave anyone out, I would likely continue to play.

It'd effectively be the same as not having a pride night.

But as soon as a group is singled out for whatever reason, the complementary group can be left out.

Who would want to play for a biased owner?

I don't understand why some don't think they're equal (spiritually).
January 30th, 2023 at 7:36:30 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: DoubleGold
I wouldn't play for a prejudice team.

That's the idea of putting it in a contract. I definitely wouldn't agree with each decision made, but they need to stop these knee jerk reactions after the fact trying to decide these things on the fly. Let everyone know upfront, then you can sign up or not be signed up before it becomes an issue. Right now, that's just sitting around waiting for the next controversy.

Quote:

If they had a non-pride night and not leave anyone out, I would likely continue to play.

It'd effectively be the same as not having a pride night.

But as soon as a group is singled out for whatever reason, the complementary group can be left out.

Who would want to play for a biased owner?

I don't understand why some don't think they're equal (spiritually).
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 30th, 2023 at 8:50:08 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: terapined
ROTFL
Its not bravery or courage
Not even close
Unless you consider not standing for the flag bravery or courage
Do you?????????????????
I take a knee and I'm not brave or courageous. :-)
But hey
Who knows
Odious may claim that terapined is brave and courageous..
Will Odious apply the same logic to me?
Actually, Kaepernick had to have courage the first time he did that, I can't deny that even if I despise him for it. But then after a while it would have taken courage *not* to take a knee many, many times for Black athletes. Or those in girl's sports, hoo!, must have been a bunch there lacking the courage to not take a knee

while browsing I saw someone claim that

rereading the NY Post article, two players said there was no team discussion that led to this. Maybe more players will be heard from, but now I'm wondering what actually happened
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 30th, 2023 at 9:55:43 AM permalink
terapined
Business's should have the freedom to market to whatever groups they so choose.
It's freedom of business
Take Sam Boyd
A genius
A Las Vegas businessman going after the Hawaii market.
Hockey doesn't have the popularity of baseball, basketball or football
I applaud a move to try to expand the fan base
It's business
I see a business that welcomes LGBT and I think this is a cool business and I'll spend money here even though I am not LGBT
Toronto Raptors had a Chinese themed night during Linsanity. Lin hit the winning shot for the Knicks and the whole place went nuts
Whats wrong with Pride night. Whats wrong with Chinese night?
These people exist There was a time when LGBT people had to stay in the closet
We are over that. Or are we?
January 30th, 2023 at 1:41:25 PM permalink
terapined

Gay marriage is political
but
How is Pride political?
These people exist
Its political for a gay person to have pride????????????
EVERYBODY should have pride in who they are
Thats hardly a political issue
How is it political to attract LGBT to hockey games????????????????????????
Page 1 of 212>