Courage of One Player NHL

Page 2 of 2<12
January 30th, 2023 at 3:27:56 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I don't know much about sports in general, and very little about hockey. But, I do know at least some (maybe most) professional leagues have rules that all players on the field (on the same team) must be in the exact same uniform (including if the uniform has any kind of logo or memorial or statement, etc...) and can face penalties if they do not (I forget if the penalties are against the team or player or both, probably depends on the league/sport).

So, if some players refused to go on the field in the uniform for that night, and those players were critical enough to jeopardize the game, it is plausible that the team would do a last-minute uniform change for that game night.
January 30th, 2023 at 8:46:40 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Gandler
I don't know much about sports in general, and very little about hockey. But, I do know at least some (maybe most) professional leagues have rules that all players on the field (on the same team) must be in the exact same uniform (including if the uniform has any kind of logo or memorial or statement, etc...) and can face penalties if they do not (I forget if the penalties are against the team or player or both, probably depends on the league/sport).

So, if some players refused to go on the field in the uniform for that night, and those players were critical enough to jeopardize the game, it is plausible that the team would do a last-minute uniform change for that game night.

I don’t think there are any rules requiring all players to wear the same warmup jersey.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
January 31st, 2023 at 4:49:52 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
yep, warm up jerseys in this case

not hearing more about it, unusual for NY media. They still did do Pride Night that night, all that was supposed to happen, did, except the jerseys. These were to be signed by players and auctioned off to support some LGBTQ outfit.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 31st, 2023 at 5:46:00 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Bottom line
This hockey player hates gays
He's a member of the Russian Orthodox Church
This Church openly hates guys
They aren't just against gay marriage
They outright hate gays
It's really sick
The leader of the Russian Orthodox church is a huge Putin supporter
The Rusdian Orthodox Church is a huge supporter of the Ukraine war because the Church believes Ukraine supports Gays
This hockey player using religion to justify hatred is sickening.
https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/ivan-provorov-flyers-pride-night-jersey-russian-orthodox-20230118.html

https://thehill.com/policy/international/597394-russian-orthodox-leader-suggests-that-ukraine-invasion-is-part-of-a/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 31st, 2023 at 5:58:43 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
Bottom line
This hockey player hates gays
He's a member of the Russian Orthodox Church
This Church openly hates guys
They aren't just against gay marriage
They outright hate gays
It's really sick
The leader of the Russian Orthodox church is a huge Putin supporter
The Rusdian Orthodox Church is a huge supporter of the Ukraine war because the Church believes Ukraine supports Gays
This hockey player using religion to justify hatred is sickening.
https://www.inquirer.com/flyers/ivan-provorov-flyers-pride-night-jersey-russian-orthodox-20230118.html

https://thehill.com/policy/international/597394-russian-orthodox-leader-suggests-that-ukraine-invasion-is-part-of-a/

But this is America. People are allowed to hate gays, the elderly, mixed race children, Biden supporters, etc…. As long as they don’t infringe on their civil rights. I think this guy not wanting to wear a jersey that supports a theme his religion is against is reasonable from HIS standpoint. Imagine if an owner in a state that prohibits abortion tried to force the players to wear a jersey that says ‘Abortion IS Murder’? The bottom line is no one should be forced to act like they support some cause because YOU support that cause.
Frankly, it should have been done this way….
‘The management of the Peoria Pelicans wants to show support for the LGTBQ community. Each player who wants will be given a Pride jersey to wear during warmups. They will be sold to raise money for the LGTBQ Youth Charity’.
January 31st, 2023 at 6:04:01 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: SOOPOO
But this is America. People are allowed to hate gays, the elderly, mixed race children, Biden supporters, etc…. As long as they don’t infringe on their civil rights. I think this guy not wanting to wear a jersey that supports a theme his religion is against is reasonable from HIS standpoint. Imagine if an owner in a state that prohibits abortion tried to force the players to wear a jersey that says ‘Abortion IS Murder’? The bottom line is no one should be forced to act like they support some cause because YOU support that cause.
Frankly, it should have been done this way….
‘The management of the Peoria Pelicans wants to show support for the LGTBQ community. Each player who wants will be given a Pride jersey to wear during warmups. They will be sold to raise money for the LGTBQ Youth Charity’.

Businesses should have the freedom to make decisions expanding the fan base. Employees should do their best to attract new customers. How is having more paying gay customers a bad thing??????????????
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 31st, 2023 at 6:14:49 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Businesses should have the freedom to make decisions expanding the fan base. Employees should do their best to attract new customers

I’ve been in Florida for January. Beautiful place on Siesta Key with pool, pier. You talk to a lot of people. Once they find out I’m a Bills fan they offer condolences, but A LOT of them say they don’t follow the NFL anymore because of ‘the knee’. Sounds like their decision was made to shrink the fan base! (Allowing players to take a knee). The product the NFL puts on the field is good enough to overcome that ‘marketing’ decision. No tears shed for an NFL owner!

Ed, there are clearly areas of the country that, if allowed, a sign saying ‘No trannies allowed’ in REALLY BIG letters would attract new customers. Are you saying that sign should be allowed for a private business? (I don’t think transgendered people are a legally protected class, but I could be wrong).
January 31st, 2023 at 7:43:44 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: SOOPOO
I’ve been in Florida for January. Beautiful place on Siesta Key with pool, pier. You talk to a lot of people. Once they find out I’m a Bills fan they offer condolences, but A LOT of them say they don’t follow the NFL anymore because of ‘the knee’. Sounds like their decision was made to shrink the fan base! (Allowing players to take a knee). The product the NFL puts on the field is good enough to overcome that ‘marketing’ decision. No tears shed for an NFL owner!

Ed, there are clearly areas of the country that, if allowed, a sign saying ‘No trannies allowed’ in REALLY BIG letters would attract new customers. Are you saying that sign should be allowed for a private business? (I don’t think transgendered people are a legally protected class, but I could be wrong).

Gee, moving the goalposts to transgender

There is nothing wrong with gay pride
Most of the country isn't bothered by kneeling
Football as popular as ever
Most of the country is not offended by gay pride
Being ok with Gays will get more fans then outright hating gays.
January 31st, 2023 at 8:39:17 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Gee, moving the goalposts to transgender

There is nothing wrong with gay pride
Most of the country isn't bothered by kneeling
Football as popular as ever
Most of the country is not offended by gay pride
Being ok with Gays will get more fans then outright hating gays.

I’m fine with ‘gay pride’. I have three people important in my life who are gay. (Not even counting ams!) I don’t want my hockey team taking any political stances. I want to watch hockey. You don’t think it is disingenuous for a league with like 800 men with NONE that have identified as gay now being promoters of LGTBQ pride? Imagine some 800 member all white organization now asking members to wear BLM t shirts…..
Page 2 of 2<12