Compromising Pictures of Paul Krugman

Page 1 of 3123>
February 23rd, 2023 at 6:54:56 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Somebody on the Left has them.

Otherwise, I can’t imagine any valid reason for an economist to support the current tactic to pillory those people who say it is past time to save, SAVE*, Social Security and Medicare. ANY economist should be all for this, not to mention anybody else who want to save it. He mocks such as a bunch of “Very Serious People“ , in capital letters.

This article below is behind a pay wall, but is getting some coverage. He lambasts the Media for daring to cluck at Joe Biden’s recent pillorizing, clucking himself over the thinking that “ of course Medicare and Social Security can’t be sustained in their present form“. “Highly disputable”, he says.

If he’s right, it’s good news for me, a recipient of the benefits of these programs. There’s no doubt I would be crushed if I had to pay for health insurance at its real cost. As for SS, I like to imagine I’d have done better investing that money myself, but to take a different viewpoint, with the employer’s contribution factored, and realizing that SS is an income redistribution program that screws higher incomes … what I’m getting at is I suspect I am on the benefit-end of that too … my conceit may be misplaced.

Krugman makes the argument that health care costs are going down in terms of percentage of GDP, quoting CBO projections. So you see, we can put off worrying about that. As for SS, he doesn’t have much to say except he suspects we are killing off enough people with fentanyl to take care of most of that problem. Reading between the lines, anyway; what he actually says is assumptions about increased longevity are quite doubtful. He offers no solutions if those are right.

Well, except to raise taxes. I think this is going to be the solution anyway, in addition to raising the retirement age and introducing a means test. Of these apparently the retirement age increase, the only thing proving palatable in the past, is the least promising for effect. But never mind how we solve, he knows and we know that solutions will not come before they have to, it’ll be the usual management by crisis. What he and Biden are wrong about is, if we do it by crisis, as inevitable as that may be, it’s going to make the solutions much harsher. Paul Krugman and others of his influential level should be praising these very serious people who dare wish for that, not mocking them with capital letters.

Unless, well, you know, you have to worry about those compromising pictures!

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/21/opinion/medicare-social-security.html

CBO image is not behind the paywall

*I can’t believe the people who want to do this don’t frame it this way. Instead, they haplessly allow the people who want to destroy the American economy to frame it as ‘cutting’ those programs.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 23rd, 2023 at 7:18:06 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
I found another site that'll let me read his op-ed without financially contributing to a left-leaning organization.

This one might be left-leaning, but they let me read the article free (I use ad-blocker too so they don't get cash other than for my click).

-------------------------------------

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2023/02/23/krugman-why-social-security-and-medicare-are-sustainable/

-------------------------------------
February 23rd, 2023 at 7:56:30 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
I think the largest losers are the youngsters that will pay in but might not get any out.

In regards to Paul, I place him in the same league as Jimmy Cramer.

Someone to listen to but don't act on what he says.
February 23rd, 2023 at 7:59:52 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
TLDR

Are there comprising pics of Paul Krugman or is this just another odious fantasy?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 23rd, 2023 at 8:16:44 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: odiousgambit
Somebody on the Left has them.
Unless, well, you know, you have to worry about those compromising pictures!

??????????????
I dont understand your post
Who cares what Krugman person says
Everybody has their own opinions
There are a gazillion economists out there with there own opinions
If you think he is compromised then dont listen to him.
I dont think any economist including Krugman knows whats going on because the economy is incredibly complicated
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 23rd, 2023 at 8:24:12 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: ams288
TLDR

Are there comprising pics of Paul Krugman or is this just another odious fantasy?
I think I can see your problem now. No sense of humor.
February 23rd, 2023 at 8:44:01 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I think I can see your problem now. No sense of humor.

Post something funny for once and I’ll laugh.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 7th, 2023 at 1:25:24 PM permalink
odiousgambit
What, Biden didn't read Krugman's article? So I guess Krugman is obliged to repeat his claims. Oh, wait, there's those pictures... I guess he'll just have to suffer through the shame of mocking those Very Serious People now that Biden is trying to be one

https://nypost.com/2023/03/07/biden-to-seek-medicare-tax-hike-on-wealthy-americans/
March 7th, 2023 at 1:44:59 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
What, Biden didn't read Krugman's article?

An opinion peice in the NYT?
Probably not
Why should he read it?
He's got his own economic advisors
A good Predident listens to his economic advisors and ignores opinion peices in the media
That's just common sense
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 7th, 2023 at 4:34:45 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Biden's proposed tax hike wouldn't be enough to save SS. It's just another money grab.

Last month, Senator Sanders and Senator Warren proposed a bill to increase the payroll tax on ordinary income over $250,000. Effectively pushing the top rate from the current 37% to 49%. Not including any city and state income taxes.

'The bill would create a tax of 12.4% on investment income for individuals making $200,000 or more and married couples making $250,000 or more, matching the combined employee and employer payroll rates.'

It would also encourage more employers to lay off workers, shut down entirely, or move overseas.

The bill doesn't currently stand a chance of passage. It is designed to determine what the public is willing to accept, or shift public opinion to accept a higher tax rate than the current one. The Overton Window.
Page 1 of 3123>