How many people use more than one monitor?

Page 1 of 212>
March 16th, 2023 at 12:09:52 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I used to do that 30 years ago with a monochrome monitor for text. At the time color monitors had very poor resolution so it was easier to read text on a monochrome screen and use color for graphs.
March 16th, 2023 at 4:44:37 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I had 2 monitors when I worked from home for American Express. Retired and just a laptop now.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 16th, 2023 at 5:46:40 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I use three monitors for my desk computer with a setup similar to your last picture. If I had a little more room I would prefer to have four monitors like I used to have at work.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 17th, 2023 at 3:37:05 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DRich
I use three monitors for my desk computer ...

Like this? People pay over $26K for these simulators.

For 2023 for $30,605 Subaru sells a 271hp 6 peed Manual Ttransmission road rally inspired WRX sedan, That has to be more fun than a 6 axis simulator.
July 19th, 2023 at 12:41:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I use two computers and three monitors when I play roulette online. It's the only way I can make bets in time because they give you so little time in between bets.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 19th, 2023 at 3:08:34 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
One courthouse I worked I had a laptop and brought a second monitor with me. Some of the younger folks laughed a bit. Within a month people were doing the same as I was. For some work you just need two.
The President is a fink.
July 19th, 2023 at 4:22:54 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
One courthouse I worked I had a laptop and brought a second monitor with me. Some of the younger folks laughed a bit. Within a month people were doing the same as I was. For some work you just need two.

I use three.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 19th, 2023 at 5:54:02 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
At work I use two. I use one at home, but I just ordered a second one earlier today actually for my gaming desktop at home (which I should have had two for some time, just have been lazy about getting around to it). I can't get into the curved style, I know some people swear by them, it just feels off for me. I tend to like standard rectangular 23'-24' range is the sweet spot (any large and it becomes too hard to focus on the game in my opinion). My current monitor is 23.8 (and I just ordered a second one of the exact same.) I feel this is optimal for gaming.

Much larger monitors can be useful at work if you need to look for details of a of fixed images for long periods of time (like plans.) But, for hardcore gaming they are simply not practical.

I also hate when the monitors are not unform (I can't do the pics where there are two completely different monitors). Again, for work it can make sense to have one huge monitor for image review, and one or two standard size. But, for normal use I can't do two completely different styles.

I also use a standing desk at work (not at home), and standing does change the perception of various monitors (I tend to stand further than I sit, so I am fine with larger monitors there.)
July 19th, 2023 at 6:25:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Gandler
At work I use two. I use one at home, but I just ordered a second one earlier today actually for my gaming desktop at home (which I should have had two for some time, just have been lazy about getting around to it). I can't get into the curved style, I know some people swear by them, it just feels off for me. I tend to like standard rectangular 23'-24' range is the sweet spot (any large and it becomes too hard to focus on the game in my opinion). My current monitor is 23.8 (and I just ordered a second one of the exact same.) I feel this is optimal for gaming.

Much larger monitors can be useful at work if you need to look for details of a of fixed images for long periods of time (like plans.) But, for hardcore gaming they are simply not practical.

I also hate when the monitors are not unform (I can't do the pics where there are two completely different monitors). Again, for work it can make sense to have one huge monitor for image review, and one or two standard size. But, for normal use I can't do two completely different styles.

I also use a standing desk at work (not at home), and standing does change the perception of various monitors (I tend to stand further than I sit, so I am fine with larger monitors there.)

Ernest Hemingway wrote standing up at his typewriter. He said it was easier to concentrate because you constantly had to stay awake or you would fall down. Lewis Carroll, Winston Churchill, Charles Dickens, Benjamin Franklin, all wrote standing up. Whereas Mark Twain did most of his writing while lying in bed.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 20th, 2023 at 3:38:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Ernest Hemingway wrote standing up at his typewriter. He said it was easier to concentrate because you constantly had to stay awake or you would fall down. Lewis Carroll, Winston Churchill, Charles Dickens, Benjamin Franklin, all wrote standing up. Whereas Mark Twain did most of his writing while lying in bed.

Some people prefer "standing" desks. Desk is bar height and chair is bar stool height. It is sort of the new thing and I can see how for some jobs it works. When I did title work the day was so much up-down-up-down it would have worked. I thought of doing it at home but did not want to buy the new desk.

One place I worked they put one in for a guy with a bad back, was first most of us ever saw. We were not so sure what to think it was such a big change.

Laptops may eventually get a "fold out" screen for more space. But that is the kind of thing might take one more year or ten more.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 212>