In the News II

June 8th, 2023 at 8:39:59 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: Mission146
He's not wrong. You've never heard of a, "Master Electrician," for example?

Or, a Master's Degree, for that matter?

Yes.

Master Mason comes to mind.
June 8th, 2023 at 9:13:04 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DoubleGold
Supposedly, an Augusta National member gets a green jacket when they join.

I have yet to see a connection with Buffett and Epstein.

But there are connections to banks.

The co-founder Roberts used to be an investment banker (began in 1920s...Reynolds) than eventually merged into Dean Witter Reynolds (Morgan Stanley).

Bankers playing golf? Oh, my!
The President is a fink.
June 8th, 2023 at 9:21:41 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Quote: AZDuffman
Bankers playing golf? Oh, my!

Jekyll Island, Georgia is not too far from Augusta National.

Interesting bankers chose Georgia to begin the Federal Reserve Bank.

I wonder who owned that plantation looking building where the bankers secretly met?
June 8th, 2023 at 9:36:43 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Good story of the place where the Federal Reserve was formed.

George Herbert Walker was a member (1933) but I didn't see Roberts' name.

DuBignon family had slaves and grew cotton.

Apparently, the last slaves landed in Jekyll Island.

----------------------

DuBignon Family
With his brother-in-law, Newton Finney, John Eugene organized a hunting club, and Finney used his contacts in New York to attract investors among the monied and social elite, such as J. P. Morgan, Joseph Pulitzer, and William K. Vanderbilt. In 1886 the island was sold to the Jekyll Island Club Corporation, and it passed out of the hands of the DuBignon family.
https://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/history-archaeology/dubignon-family/

----------------------

The Jekyll Island Club was a private club on Jekyll Island, on Georgia's Atlantic coast. It was founded in 1886 when members of an incorporated hunting and recreational club purchased the island for $125,000 (about $3.1 million in 2017) from John Eugene du Bignon. The original design of the Jekyll Island Clubhouse, with its signature turret, was completed in January 1888. The club thrived through the early 20th century; its members came from many of the world's wealthiest families, most notably the Morgans, Rockefellers, and Vanderbilts. The club closed at the end of the 1942 season due to complications from World War II.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jekyll_Island_Club

------------------------

The Water and the Blood
On November 28, 1858, more than 400 enslaved Africans arrived on the shores of Jekyll Island, leaving behind one deadly journey and beginning another. This is the story of Georgia’s last slave ship and its enduring legacy.
https://www.jekyllisland.com/magazine/the-water-and-the-blood/

---------------------
June 8th, 2023 at 1:24:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Whatever you think of your defense attorney don't punch him or her during your trial.

Quote:
A long-awaited trial of a man accused of punching his defense attorney in an Alachua County courtroom in November, fracturing his skull, wrapped up this week.

Obadiah Dillard, who is on trial for aggravated battery, appeared in Alachua County Courthouse on Monday via TV screen, having been isolated from the main courtroom where the judge and Dillard’s attorney sat. A jury quickly found Dillard guilty on one count of aggravated battery against defense attorney Eric Atria and was sentenced to 30 years in prison.

While facing trial in November 2022, Dillard was shown on camera in the main courtroom punching his own attorney on the left side of his head, fracturing Atria’s skull.

https://www.wuft.org/news/2023/06/07/gainesville-man-receives-30-year-sentence-for-violent-courtroom-attack-on-his-defense-attorney/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 8th, 2023 at 2:41:10 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine

Doing this is an old trick to force a mistrial if things are going bad for the defense.
The President is a fink.
June 8th, 2023 at 3:31:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
In that case, I don’t think it worked.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 9th, 2023 at 2:23:39 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
What a name, Obadiah ... Obadiah Dillard makes it even worse! According to Wikipedia, Obadiah is a name from "the Hebrew Bible". Is that a proper way to put it? In any case, Mr. Dillard would seem to be black. Does this mean it's likely he is a member of the Black Hebrew Israelites? These are the only true Jews, you know, the white version of Jews being imposters, this according to the extreme elements of that group, anyway.

One of the miserable things about being a journalist today must be how you can't go into all this delicious stuff these days. Of course I am just speculating, mind you.

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 9th, 2023 at 4:33:51 AM permalink
DoubleGold
I have several sisters.

When they were away, I'd get letters from them.

They addressed the envelopes as "Master John Doe".

Replace my name with John Doe.

So in that context, Master is a male term and likely not qualifying as an adult male.

Mister is an adult male term, also "Mr." used on an envelope.

First link is the definition of Master (French origination?).

Second link goes back several thousand years but not in English.

-------------------------

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/master

Master

One Hebrew word and three Greek words mean “Master.”

My Master in Hebrew:

Ba‘ali

Strong’s Concordance number: 1180

Bible reference: Hos. 2:16 (NIV)

“In that day,” declares the Lord,
“you will call me ‘my husband’;
you will no longer call me ‘my master.’” (Hosea 2:16 NIV)

In the same verse, the Message Bible speaks of Israel having called God, “Slave-master.” The word “ba‘al” is also the name of a Canaanite god who imposed life-sapping slavery on his followers. God contrasted Himself with Ba‘al the dictatorial slave-master; instead, He is like a loving husband.

When the word ’adon is used for men, it is usually translated with this title. When it is used for God, it has a stronger note of reverence so it is translated “Lord.”
https://namesforgod.net/master/
June 9th, 2023 at 7:45:46 AM permalink
DoubleGold
There's a movement away from using the term Master.

I don't think that Saudi deal with the PGA will go through, but it could force us to look within, such as the exclusivity of golf.

Because of Saudi's culture of patriarchy.

I don't think Linus has a green jacket but he might have gotten the idea from Gates who does have a green jacket.

Tech Confronts Its Use of the Labels ‘Master’ and ‘Slave’

JUL 6, 2020
The petition opposing GitHub’s move away from master says the same logic argues for renaming “master's degrees, master bedrooms, master gardeners, puppetmasters, and so on.” Some of that is already happening: Recently the Houston Association of Realtors decided to stop using master to refer to bedrooms and bathrooms in its property database.

When Petr Baudis chose the word master for the main Git reference in 2005, he was thinking of the word as he would a “master recording.” The then-20-year-old Czech student and nonnative English speaker thought the word sounded nice, although in retrospect he wishes that he had chosen main.

Git has its origins in supporting Linux kernel development, which still uses the words master and slave. Linus Torvalds, lead developer of the Linux kernel, created Git to replace the proprietary software BitKeeper, which used the same terminology.
https://www.wired.com/story/tech-confronts-use-labels-master-slave/

-----------------------