Religious belief drops

Page 8 of 9« First<56789>
May 27th, 2023 at 6:03:53 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: Mission146
It can be, 'Your truth,' I guess, even though that's a phrase I really can't stand. In that sense, relative. If you think the statement rises to the level of truth, that's fine.

That's what makes me an Agnostic; I don't think there's a God, but I wouldn't make an actual claim either way.

Thank-you for sharing.

Truth (reality) is a tricky word.

I don't think we live in a matrix nor a software simulation (like most everything is space in between atoms, etc).

But I know there can be a difference in what we think absolute truth is and what absolute truth really is.

It's the way we were designed and the environment we live in.

Both were designed to mask reality.

So if I were a designer, I'd make sure the folks had a solution to figure stuff out.
May 27th, 2023 at 6:13:44 AM permalink
DoubleGold
You don't know that there's a pepper, at least, not the pepper I referred to. It could be scientifically proven, I think, for now, that I ate a pepper...but there might not have been a pepper at the time I said there was.

If you couldn't scientifically prove it, then you're agreeing with me. My point was I knew there was a yellow pepper yesterday at the time I wrote it, but you couldn't KNOW that, but rather, took my word because you perceived I had no reason to lie.

In any event, we're not talking about language, at this point; I have no interest in arguing about, 'Absolute' truth or reality. Whether something is absolute, or not, is not useful when it comes to our experience and communication.

Your word is good for me.

That's all I needed.

I think "knowing" the absolute truth can make the difference of life and death.
May 27th, 2023 at 6:21:37 AM permalink
DoubleGold
The rating system of probability is a conscience.

It knows BS, if it's relatively clear.
May 27th, 2023 at 6:36:38 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

But, if 100% of ALL people did believe in the absolute truth of God, then that would be just as good as God being real, even if he wasn't.

I can't agree with that at all. in my opinion just because people believe something does not make it truth of factual. I know it is just semantics but for me something must be factual for it to be truth. To me, all things that we consider factual are just items that we have not yet been able to be proved incorrect. We know so little about what we call the universe that my assumption is we have just not yet found the exceptions.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 27th, 2023 at 6:49:37 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: DRich
I can't agree with that at all. in my opinion just because people believe something does not make it truth of factual. I know it is just semantics but for me something must be factual for it to be truth. To me, all things that we consider factual are just items that we have not yet been able to be proved incorrect. We know so little about what we call the universe that my assumption is we have just not yet found the exceptions.

I don't think we actually disagree. 100% of people believing that wouldn't make it true, but in the context of their lives, it would make it just as good as being true. They'd certainly all be living as if it were true, so it might as well be.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 27th, 2023 at 7:08:15 AM permalink
DoubleGold
The 100% people chosen for a poll could have experienced a miracle.

Then another 100% people chosen for a poll could be atheists.

Like when Hillary was blistering Trump in the polls.
May 27th, 2023 at 7:39:37 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Some "truths" or "facts" are harder to deny than others. Like if someone hits you in head with a brick. That's pretty convincing. A brick bouncing off your head.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 27th, 2023 at 7:49:06 AM permalink
DoubleGold
There's more to it than pain.

A person getting thrown in jail for drinking and driving.

Then the person is sleeping next to Bubba.

Many will get out and pretend they don't have a drinking problem, then get another.

Like not having a valid driver's license was not enough pain.

So they can't see the truth.

Humans have a mechanism to deceive self.
May 27th, 2023 at 8:36:14 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Here's a good example of the way nature combined with humans work.

There's a medical name for this condition.

I know of a person that finds objects in clouds.

Eventually, I began looking for shapes in land in the USA using Google Earth.

It was fascinating some of the things I located.

--------------------------

Harbor looks like a dolphin in stunning drone pics: ‘Cannot be unseen’

May 27, 2023
Shocking new drone footage reveals a Wales marina is the spitting image of a dolphin, stunning viewers online.
https://nypost.com/2023/05/27/harbor-looks-like-a-dolphin-in-stunning-drone-pics-cannot-be-unseen/

-------------------------

Some old-timers believed they were Archons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archon_(Gnosticism)
May 29th, 2023 at 12:05:21 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
As science ascends, religion descends.

A question of balance.
Page 8 of 9« First<56789>