Should you give CPR

Page 1 of 212>
May 31st, 2023 at 11:56:46 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
This is written by an ER physician, Clayton Dalton

Quote:
A rare but particularly awful effect of CPR is called CPR-induced consciousness: chest compressions circulate enough blood to the brain to awaken the patient during cardiac arrest, who may then experience ribs popping, needles entering their skin, a breathing tube passing through their larynx.

The traumatic nature of CPR may be why as many as half of patients who survive wish they hadn't received it, even though they lived.

It's not just a matter of life or death, if you survive, but quality of life. The injuries sustained from the resuscitation can sometimes mean a patient will never return to their previous selves. Two studies found that only 20-40% of older patients who survive CPR were able to function independently; others found somewhat better rates of recovery.

An even bigger quality of life problem is brain injury. When cardiac activity stops, the brain begins to die within minutes, while the rest of the body takes longer. Doctors are often able to restart a heart only to find that the brain has died. About 30% of survivors of in-hospital cardiac arrest will have significant neurologic disability.
Again, older patients fare worse. Only 2% of survivors over 85 escape significant brain damage, according to one study.

I’m not going to ask to be revived after 85 for sure.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 31st, 2023 at 12:09:02 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
I'll live to about 110.

My lady will live older than that.

I'll do everything in my power until those ages are met, except if she tells me otherwise.
May 31st, 2023 at 1:55:05 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: DoubleGold
I'll live to about 110.

My lady will live older than that.

I'll do everything in my power until those ages are met, except if she tells me otherwise.

I'm hoping to die right around 60, myself.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 31st, 2023 at 2:20:19 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Quote: Mission146

But if we break-up, I might decide to begin another family. :)

I'm thinking about 4-5 children.

Check Al Pacino out.

Imagine me letting the kids out for school.

They might want me to let them out a block away from the school.
May 31st, 2023 at 4:43:24 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: DoubleGold
But if we break-up, I might decide to begin another family. :)

I'm thinking about 4-5 children.

Check Al Pacino out.

Imagine me letting the kids out for school.

They might want me to let them out a block away from the school.

My uncle started another family at 60. He used to get a big kick out of skiing with each them for a few years for free, he was a free senior and they were free until 6.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 31st, 2023 at 5:07:09 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Quote: kenarman
My uncle started another family at 60. He used to get a big kick out of skiing with each them for a few years for free, he was a free senior and they were free until 6.

Good story. :)
May 31st, 2023 at 6:03:21 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I am a big supporter of intervention, you should give CPR if you are qualified (and have the devices to give breathes saftley, if not chest compressions are more important). People can decide for themselves later if they want to live in the state that they are in or not. I think most people would welcome that possibility. I am also a big supporter of getting as many people CPR certified as possible.
May 31st, 2023 at 7:11:58 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Mission146

I still think you may be my brother from another mother. I don't have a particular age of when I want to die, but when my quality of like diminishes enough I will want to die. Based on how I feel today, 60 might be the right number.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 1st, 2023 at 7:00:48 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: DRich
I still think you may be my brother from another mother. I don't have a particular age of when I want to die, but when my quality of like diminishes enough I will want to die. Based on how I feel today, 60 might be the right number.

You guys set the bar way to low. I am in my late 70's and only consider my quality of life starting to reduce in the last couple of years. I am not trying to live forever and if I can maintain my current quality of life or close to it for another I am happy to stay on earth. I don't expect to live past 85.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 1st, 2023 at 10:39:27 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
"How long should we continue CPR?"

"Until rigor mortis sets in"

Texas teen declared dead after two hours of CPR.

Then he began to move.
Page 1 of 212>