1 vote (25%)
No votes (0%)

4 members have voted

June 8th, 2023 at 8:51:35 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine
Also, I think people are too dismissive of the idea of lifetime mental effects. The argument of physical change is for a lifetime seems to be the only thing that matters.

People often adjust to a condition over time, physical or mental, but that doesn't mean it's not a lifetime.

So the argument that only physical matters is also suspect. You can't always see mental effects.

I agree that you can't always see the mental effects, which works both ways.

You're either, objectively, mutilating the genitals of a child who can't possibly have the mental capacity to make that sort of decision without significant guidance in that direction from others, or you are not.

Once upon a time, little kids didn't even always know that there were different types of genitals.

I've heard four year old girls say, "I like playing with the boys," "I like dressing like a boy," or, "I want to play sports, like the boys do."

I have never heard a four year old girl say, "I wish I had a d*ck." I'd hope the majority of them don't even know what one is.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 8th, 2023 at 8:52:48 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
See, you keep implying you know what's best for them. I give them a choice. Not forcing them to do either.

You're about the thickness of a dime from me blocking you. If I have already stipulated that no one solution is going to be perfect for everyone, and that we are going to err no matter which way we go, how am I implying that I know what is best?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 8th, 2023 at 8:57:12 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Well, I'd give them a more reasonable choice than waiting several years is what I should have said.

Anyone can block me if they want. Everyone. I'll just talk to myself like DG. heh.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 8th, 2023 at 8:59:13 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Well, I'd give them a more reasonable choice than waiting several years is what I should have said.

Anyone can block me if they want. Everyone. I'll just talk to myself like DG. heh.

I don't feel like very young children are really being given a choice at all. I feel like they are being given the illusion of choice, and even if they are being given a choice, there's no way they can fully appreciate the potential long-term ramifications of that choice.
June 8th, 2023 at 9:02:33 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Mission146
I don't feel like very young children are really being given a choice at all. I feel like they are being given the illusion of choice, and even if they are being given a choice, there's no way they can fully appreciate the potential long-term ramifications of that choice.

If I thought a kid came home and said "Mommy, I'm a giraffe" and she had him outside trying to eat leaves from the top of trees, I might see this that way.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 8th, 2023 at 9:07:00 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
If I thought a kid came home and said "Mommy, I'm a giraffe" and she had him outside trying to eat leaves from top of trees, I might see this that way.

As long as the leaves weren't poisonous, the kid would discover that he is not a giraffe, in short order. It would be a relatively harmless exercise as long as you're careful what leaves to have the kid chew.
June 8th, 2023 at 9:13:03 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Mission146
As long as the leaves weren't poisonous, the kid would discover that he is not a giraffe, in short order. It would be a relatively harmless exercise as long as you're careful what leaves to have the kid chew.

I don't want to start a debate over how many people don't think reality is convincing. That's way too long and frustrating subject.
June 8th, 2023 at 9:51:02 AM permalink
rxwine
Now that I think about it, it would be interesting to hear how different people here would handle their own kid either somehow indirectly or directly indicating they were transgender.

I can see some, shutting it down, never speak of it again on to every other possibility. I don't think anyone but a really stupid parent is going to act on any kind of transient incident that doesn't manifest but once, or doesn't seem serious. It would be something that keeps being indicated in some manner either from the kid or what you hear from teachers or others about him.

I guess if you really believe in the "influence factor" you will suspiciously be looking around for those "groomer" people that keep getting to him.
June 8th, 2023 at 10:02:41 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Now that I think about it, it would be interesting to hear how different people here would handle their own kid either somehow indirectly or directly indicating they were transgender.

I can see some, shutting it down, never speak of it again on to every other possibility. I don't think anyone but a really stupid parent is going to act on any kind of transient incident that doesn't manifest but once, or doesn't seem serious. It would be something that keeps being indicated in some manner either from the kid or what you hear from teachers or others about him.

I guess if you really believe in the "influence factor" you will suspiciously be looking around for those "groomer" people that keep getting to him.

Nah, my kids are smart enough to know that nothing and nobody should be absolutely trusted, me included.
June 8th, 2023 at 10:40:34 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I bought in to the "reduce the suicides" argument at one point

now we are hearing plenty about how it is not preventing them

It seems to me that a decade or two ago a dysphoric child might think "I am stuck in the wrong body forever, I'll end my life" ... but today that same child knows it can make the transition as soon as it reaches adulthood if not before. In the meantime society is supportive of transitioning non-permanently if they want, with their own new pronouns they can just make up if they want! If they are suicidal anyway, then the cause is going to be elsewhere
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]