Filner, Mayor of San Diego. When Does He Resign?

Page 4 of 9<1234567>Last »
Poll
1 vote (25%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (75%)
No votes (0%)

4 members have voted

August 25th, 2013 at 4:45:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff

As with the Mayor of San Diego it seems that certain men want The Workplace to be equivalent to A Locker Room... females do not want that. So far, the courts have upheld the female point of view but in reality it seems to be more an idealistic view of the world than a realistic one.

It comes down to what management tolerates as acceptable behavior, and one must remember what is acceptable to some is not to others. But what also happens is that a person who behaves way over the line is often tolerated because they are effective in their job (see "but he's good" when a sports star misbehaves) or the job may be so hard to fill that they put up with it.
The President is a fink.
August 25th, 2013 at 6:35:59 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I recall one man who had his secretary stand next to his desk as he quite leisurely pawed her backside ... when she objected the office manager told her straight out if you can't get along with him you are the one who will be fired. He made about fifty K a year (sixties-- dawn of women's lib movement) but was no means stellar or irreplaceable or anything like that.
August 25th, 2013 at 6:52:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I recall one man who had his secretary stand next to his desk as he quite leisurely pawed her backside ... when she objected the office manager told her straight out if you can't get along with him you are the one who will be fired. He made about fifty K a year (sixties-- dawn of women's lib movement) but was no means stellar or irreplaceable or anything like that.

I never saw anything that bad but I did work with a guy who had a reputation as someone who acted improperly around women. He once told me he asked our boss "who he could sleep with and not get in trouble." Eventually he did have an affair with his office girl, which ended badly, and the company and he personally had to pay some cash to her.

After it happened the rest of the office (almost all offices were almost all male owing to the industry) was told not to talk to her socially, just business. I had fun with this on my rare, 2-3Xs a year, visits as I near made it a point to talk to her. She was always polite to me and just a pleasant person to talk to, intelligent enough to follow a line of logic-something many of our people could not do. Nothing out of order, just how's business, how's the weather been, whatever. Just nice conversation after being on a long highway drive. But I knew they didn't know I knew about all of what happened. I was so annoyed with the way we were being managed I figured I will either force them to tell me the story or let them stew.
The President is a fink.
August 25th, 2013 at 8:24:09 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: AZDuffman
I never saw anything that bad ...
The whole point of my post was that it was inherently neither good nor bad; its viewpoint that determines it. Women's Libbers and the secretary involved surely view it as bad, the man and the other bosses surely did not. Think of the foremen in various mills who would make use of wives of the men under them under threat of firing their husbands. Think perhaps also of the once rather routine practice of a man who lost the services of his wife routinely taking his eldest daughter to his bed. I don't know if events change or not, but certainly views about them do take place.
August 25th, 2013 at 11:14:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Think perhaps also of the once rather routine practice of a man who lost the services of his wife routinely taking his eldest daughter to his bed.

I don't think that was ever routine anywhere. All cultures have a taboo against father daughter incest.
August 25th, 2013 at 11:25:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
Actually they should be because they show the dangers of a homosexual male in an position of authority of minor males.

S2dbaker might be trying to be funny, but it fell flat to me.

I am still having trouble following you. Are you saying that a gay man serving as interim mayor has a position of authority over minor males (presumably interns that work for the city) is somehow similar to the Jerry Sandusky case?

Is that what you are saying or am I not understanding your comment.
August 26th, 2013 at 3:58:34 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Pacomartin
I am still having trouble following you. Are you saying that a gay man serving as interim mayor has a position of authority over minor males (presumably interns that work for the city) is somehow similar to the Jerry Sandusky case?

Is that what you are saying or am I not understanding your comment.

S2 seems to be implying that having a gay male is better than a mayor who harassed women. I just made the point that a gay male can just as easily harass people under him. It may possibly be even easier as men will be less likely to bring charges. Again look at the case of Sandusky where it was covered up. Or Pat Patterson in the WWF (now WWE) who forced himself on low-level wrestlers and underage boys for years.
The President is a fink.
August 26th, 2013 at 4:56:31 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Yes, a taboo based in genetics though not all breeches of the taboo lead to procreation and not all issue of incestuous relationships have obvious genetic deformities. In this day and age, its sort of a taboo and condom too situation. And often a girl realizes that a consanguineous male is one that is available without time consuming "social dating" pressures and therefore can be viewed as an efficient and effective choice.

There is a taboo in French society but not in French law, which is why one famous literary figure had to be registered in two rooms in Austria but only one room when on French soil during lecture tours with her father.

I've mentioned before about a Colonial landowner fondling his female indenture servant: it was not improper and it was not illegal. The only thing that was wrong was creating a child which would be a tax burden on the community.

What is proper behavior in an office varies. Indeed one locomotive engineer in his memoirs commented that after he had attained experience as an engineer he only got his union book after displaying his bottle of Bourbon as well. Nowadays such workplace behavior would be instantaneous dismissal. And everyone in Vegas knows of Benny Binion returning pot to two of his dealers and telling them to get back to work.
August 26th, 2013 at 5:27:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman

I've mentioned before about a Colonial landowner fondling his female indenture servant: it was not improper and it was not illegal. The only thing that was wrong was creating a child which would be a tax burden on the community.

Tax burden to the community? How would that be?
The President is a fink.
August 26th, 2013 at 9:43:01 AM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
By the way, I do not accept the premise that Jerry Sandusky is gay. He's married to a female and has at least one child with her. I'd say the evidence points to him being a straight person.
Page 4 of 9<1234567>Last »