Filner, Mayor of San Diego. When Does He Resign?

Page 6 of 9« First<3456789>
Poll
1 vote (25%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (75%)
No votes (0%)

4 members have voted

August 26th, 2013 at 4:02:53 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: TheCesspit
I fear you are wrong, and should pay attention to the events in Russia, not as a weird quirk but a violent tide that will spread.

What's happening in Russia reminds me a great deal of what was going on in Germany in the 1930s. But I meant the situation in the West. And there the similitude to the past breaks down. In the West there's quite an energetic protest movement against Russia's bigotry.

Quote:
Clause 28 (a bill in the UK school laws preventing even the mention that some people like to make out with members of the same sex) is being talked about again, in all seriousness.

Does it have a serious chance of passing?

I've no doubt bigots of all stripes discuss such things seriously. It makes little difference. Thei own contradictions are catching up to them. See, it's evident that gay people are not more depraved, evil, immoral, etc than straight people. Or in other words, it's evident that but for their preference in sexual matters, gay people are very much people. So it becomes ever more difficult to treat homosexuality either as a disorder, as it does not prevent a normal, happy life, or a form of moral corruption, as it harms no one at all. It's also evident that if gay people cannot change their sexuality, then straight epople can't either. So the whole argument about turning kids gay is ridiculous in it's own face.

What's left? They can't say "Look, I've nothing against gays and lesbians, but I don't want them around kids because they may turn gay." See above. On the one hand it won't happen, and on the other hand, if it did hypothetically happen, you don't ahve anything against gays and lesbians, right? And wouldn't that include kids?

So what's left is to claim all gay men, curiously not lesbains for some reason, are pedophiles and will rape and molest your sons.

But this conveniently leaves aside two facts: 1) that gay men are not pedophiles and 2) if their argument were true, then it would follow all straight men are also pedophiles and they will molest and rape your daughters.

War is over. Freedom, which they claim to value, has won. Go home.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 26th, 2013 at 4:13:05 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Nareed
What's happening in Russia reminds me a great deal of what was going on in Germany in the 1930s.

What is happening in the USA with those not in line with the gay agenda is even more like it. Lawsuits against photographers, bakeries, and online-dating services who say they do not want to add homosexual business to their product offerings. Statements by big-city mayors that business-licenses will not be granted to owners who do not personally support so-called gay marriage. Taking away of parental rights of mental-health treatment to their own kids.

But people do not mind these tactics as long as it fits their agenda.
The President is a fink.
August 26th, 2013 at 6:59:01 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
What's happening in Russia reminds me a great deal of what was going on in Germany in the 1930s.
Quote: AZDuffman
What is happening in the USA with those not in line with the gay agenda is even more like it.
Let's see, Russia throwing people in jail and beating people up vs. USA a lawsuit. Which set of actions is more like Nazi Germany? Jailing and Beating or a Lawsuit.

Hard to say, but I'm going to have to side with Nareed on this one.
August 26th, 2013 at 7:46:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: s2dbaker
Let's see, Russia throwing people in jail and beating people up vs. USA a lawsuit. Which set of actions is more like Nazi Germany? Jailing and Beating or a Lawsuit.

Hard to say, but I'm going to have to side with Nareed on this one.

Perhaps you need to study history more closely.
The President is a fink.
August 26th, 2013 at 10:11:00 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Perhaps you need to study history more closely.

I think someone does, yes. The persecution of the Jews was not a subtle, law-driven persecution. It was violent, forceful and on the streets. it was not done in the law courts. The law backed up the violence, with the various rules and laws to remove the rights, but it was physical force, not a legal one.

You may want to claim that regulation and the use of political power to position a social change is 'Fascist', but I think you should look towards Mussolini's Italian Fascism for a closer parallel, but that's tenuous, and would assume a long tenure of priviledge by the 'homophiles', something you'd really need to consider carefully first. You should probably shake your head for executing Godwin's law in replacement for a truer argument of the ability of politico-economic power to make societal change that you disagree with. There's much more fertile territory there.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 26th, 2013 at 10:13:45 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
So I assume you also are against the law in CA mandating gays in history be taught and that the gays can only be shown in a positive way?

The former I don't have an opinion on, but the latter is whacky, from what little I know.

Both homosexuality and heterosexuality should be taught as acceptable ways of expressing love and commitment to another person, in a way that is not abusive. If we are teching sex ed at schools, signs that a relationship is abusive is far more important than worrying about the particularities of the sexual organs involved in the parties taking part in the relationship.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 26th, 2013 at 11:19:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Does it have a serious chance of passing?

Wikipedia article on Section 28
The article in wikipedia talks about the law as past history (30 years ago), something that grew out of AIDS fear and the initial decriminalization of homosexualtiy.
August 27th, 2013 at 3:27:34 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: TheCesspit
I think someone does, yes. The persecution of the Jews was not a subtle, law-driven persecution. It was violent, forceful and on the streets. it was not done in the law courts. The law backed up the violence, with the various rules and laws to remove the rights, but it was physical force, not a legal one.

Not saying there was no violence, I am saying they used law over violence far more pre-1939. Homophile "violence" in the USA has so far been more of demonstrations and disruption to private businesses that do not support the homophile agenda (eg: the Chick-Fil-A "kiss-in.) I don't see them getting violent, but I do predict them throwing more public hissy-fits.

The next phase seems to be calling those who do not want their children sharing locker rooms and rest rooms with opposite-sex children "bigots" because those children want to pretend to be the other sex. That has started in CA this year.

Quote:
You should probably shake your head for executing Godwin's law in replacement for a truer argument of the ability of politico-economic power to make societal change that you disagree with. There's much more fertile territory there.

Talk to S2 about that, he brought it up, not me.
The President is a fink.
August 27th, 2013 at 3:30:00 AM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
Talk to S2 about that, he brought it up, not me.
Actually it was Nareed. You can't even get that right! You've been hanging around EvenBob too much.
August 27th, 2013 at 3:34:38 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: s2dbaker
Actually it was Nareed. You can't even get that right! You've been hanging around EvenBob too much.

My apologies if that is the case, I probably missed him saying it as I have him blocked and rarely read his posts.
The President is a fink.
Page 6 of 9« First<3456789>