Stuff I Don't Understand

Page 1 of 212>
July 22nd, 2013 at 8:36:17 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
1.) Lifeguards.

-Why do lifeguards wear shirts and female lifeguards occasionally wear shirts and shorts? You always see this on TV, Movies, and rarely in real life, but you have a situation in which an individual is potentially drowning and the lifeguard has to take the time to take his/her shirt off and/or her shorts off, and then jump into the body of water? You would think it'd be more efficient to already be dressed to jump in, when someone could potentially die.

2.) "Accidental Dismemberment" Insurance.

-Does, "Accidental," really need specified? Is it so frequent that the dismemberment is deliberate? Even if so, it seems like you could bury the clause rather than stating in the title that the dismemberment need be accidental. After all, they don't call it a, "Life Insurance Unless You Commit Suicide," policy.

3.) "MMA Style."

-News stories that specify that a fight was, or an individual defended himself, "MMA style." I believe that you can punch, kick, choke, lock, grapple, take down...etc. Basically, anything that doesn't invoke the use of a weapon. Where I come from we just call that a, "Fight," so why the specification?

4.) Sweatpants with writing on the ass.

-Just, why?

5.) New, "Tramp Stamps."

-I can kind of understand doing it years ago, but why would someone get something called a, "Tramp Stamp," NOW. If I were female, the simple name of the thing would result in me having no interest in it.

---I might add to this, I had a few more a couple days ago, but forgot them.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 22nd, 2013 at 1:43:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Mission146
1.) Lifeguards.

-Why do lifeguards wear shirts and female lifeguards occasionally wear shirts and shorts? You

Delenn: Why do your people always ask "ready?" when about to embark on something massively unwise?
Sinclair: Tradition.

So there :P

Quote:

-Does, "Accidental," really need specified?

You need to comprehend that these things are drawn up by lawyers. Enough said (except: with appologies to Teddys)

Quote:
5.) New, "Tramp Stamps."

Were the old ones more to your liking?

Seriously, I've no idea what that is.

PS: "When I'm about to do something stupid, I like to catalogue the full extent of my stupidity beforehand" Susan Ivanova

Addendum: "Because afterwards it may be too late." Nareed
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 22nd, 2013 at 2:39:18 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
1.) Lifeguards.

-Why do lifeguards wear shirts and female lifeguards occasionally wear shirts and shorts? You always see this on TV, Movies, and rarely in real life, but you have a situation in which an individual is potentially drowning and the lifeguard has to take the time to take his/her shirt off and/or her shorts off, and then jump into the body of water? You would think it'd be more efficient to already be dressed to jump in, when someone could potentially die.

Sunburn? Discomfort/self consciousness? Propriety? Dunno, but anyone with a lifeguard-esque physique has little problem disrobing in haste. What, 2 sec while running?

What I don't get it the term "lifeguard". Do they really? Why not "drowning prevention unit"? "Shark abatement squad"? "Eye candy accoutrement"?

3.) "MMA Style."

-News stories that specify that a fight was, or an individual defended himself, "MMA style." I believe that you can punch, kick, choke, lock, grapple, take down...etc. Basically, anything that doesn't invoke the use of a weapon. Where I come from we just call that a, "Fight," so why the specification?

I think it denotes a certain discipline. A "fight" to me is two guys just slugging it out haphazardly. "MMA style" infers techniques and proficiency in striking, grappling, and footwork. A "fight" is hockey style, just throwing hands. If you use feet, knees, elbows, tosses, or grappling, then it's "MMA style"

4.) Sweatpants with writing on the ass.

-Just, why?

Attention, ldo.

Quote: Nareed
Were the old (tramp stamps) more to your liking?

Seriously, I've no idea what that is.

Same answer as number 4. In most cases I turn my nose up at them, but the one above.... 10/10 for the Triforce. I just wonder what's happened to her to cause her to lose 2.5 hearts. Probably the same thing that caused her to lose 98% of her pants?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 22nd, 2013 at 3:11:45 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
Same answer as number 4. In most cases I turn my nose up at them, but the one above.... 10/10 for the Triforce. I just wonder what's happened to her to cause her to lose 2.5 hearts. Probably the same thing that caused her to lose 98% of her pants?

Would you care to repeat that in actual, comprehensible English? :P
July 22nd, 2013 at 3:25:37 PM permalink
Face
Would you care to repeat that in actual, comprehensible English? :P

Nothing you'd care for, I reckon.

Her tattoo features icons from a popular Nintendo game "The Legend of Zelda". 10/10 is the score I give the tat because Zelda is teh awesome. The Triforce is an item of power (that triangle thing in the middle of the tat) found in the game. "Hearts" are what represent your life; typically you lose .5 hearts for every attack you sustain. I joked that the attack what caused her to lose the hearts is also what took her pants =p

In short, to answer your question directly, a "tramp stamp" is a tattoo in the small of your back, as seen above. Throughout the years it has been found a girl with one is easier and more likely to get into bed with you, as it denotes a certain type of person.
July 22nd, 2013 at 4:58:11 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
Nothing you'd care for, I reckon.

It depends. I could can that post and use it as a standard reply whenever some bigot extols the virtue and "normalcy" of straight sex.
July 22nd, 2013 at 5:48:06 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

-Does, "Accidental," really need specified? Is it so frequent that the dismemberment is deliberate? Even if so, it seems like you could bury the clause rather than stating in the title that the dismemberment need be accidental. After all, they don't call it a, "Life Insurance Unless You Commit Suicide," policy.

It does need to be specified because it is "Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance" and not "Accidental Death and Accidental Dismemberment Insurance."

IOW, if you die of a stroke you do not get paid as that is not "accidental." But if you die in a car accident you do get paid, that is accidental. Most policies I have seen pay more for the accidental death than the dismemberment. And you can collect more for the more "members" you lose--eg: and eye and a leg is more than just the leg.

Yes, I am a nerd for knowing this.
The President is a fink.
July 22nd, 2013 at 5:48:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Sweatpants with writing on the ass.

Which never say, "Kick me". (so far)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 22nd, 2013 at 6:07:33 PM permalink
Face
It depends. I could can that post and use it as a standard reply whenever some bigot extols the virtue and "normalcy" of straight sex.

Ha! Well, even though my posts aren't protected by copyright and you don't necessarily need it, I will regardless extend my permission for you to do just that =)
July 22nd, 2013 at 8:59:47 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Hmmm...

I'm going with efficiency and doing a single response post:

Nareed

I just meant that I could understand getting a hideous lower back tattoo, kind of, prior to it being called a tramp stamp. I actually have a tattoo myself, believe it or not, lightning bolt, right hipbone.

Face

I agree with you on lifeguard, the word, "Guard," seems like it would indicate more of a preemptive position where the most important aspect of their job is reactive. I disagree on two seconds, though, the pool lifeguards have their little stand, so they're not running when they disrobe...I was kind of thinking about those ones.

I kind of agree on MMA and I kind of don't. Most fights that I have seen and a few that I have been in started out standing, but were reduced to grappling fairly quickly. Growing up, I always preferred the choke out to anything, it's quick and I don't have to get someone's blood all over myself.

I'd give the Triforce a 10, but it gets a zero in her case because anyone who would allow such a picture to be taken of herself is a filthy, distasteful trollop.

AZDuffman

You're right, I forgot about the death part. I think I automatically have such insurance with my homeowner's something or other, or some BS like that.

rxwine

Yeah, just because your ass says, "Princess," doesn't make that the case. Although, princess pants would be an improvement over whatever the female in Face's post was kind of wearing. I'm fine with the posterior in tight clothes, don't get me wrong, but uncovered is not so great because you can't help but remember that the individual defecates from somewhere very near there. Gross.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
Page 1 of 212>