Britain must be the most PC nation on the planet

Page 1 of 212>
July 27th, 2013 at 8:59:44 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Graham Norton (who is openly gay) was formally reprimanded for perpetuating hurtful stereotypes for these lesbian jokes.

Americans are used to seeing British Television on PBS.
Downton Abbey
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Agatha Christie's Poirot
All Creatures Great and Small
Till Death do us Part

The Big Comedy Shows
Blackadder
Absolutely Fabulous
The Benny Hill Show
Mr. Bean

Of course many British shows are remade for the American Audience
Being Human

But with Netflix Americans are seeing more British and Canadian shows.
I am surprised how politically correct many of the shows are.
July 28th, 2013 at 1:43:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

But with Netflix Americans are seeing more British and Canadian shows.

I have Netflix and I find the Brit shows boring
and irritating. Also some of them speak English
in a foreign language, I can't understand a thing
they say. Why don't they all talk like Peter O'toole
or Pierce Brosnan.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 28th, 2013 at 2:36:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Even Dr. Who?
July 28th, 2013 at 4:21:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Dr who??
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 28th, 2013 at 5:29:30 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Dr Who is a British Time Travel Show that began in 1963 and has been running off and on for 50 years this fall. Eleven different actors have played the character, and the first three have died. The 10th actor to play Dr Who married the daughter of the 5th one (in real life). His time travel/spaceship is disguised to look like a Police Box from the 1960's. A police box obviously existed before cell phones.

The actor who played the 10th Doctor played Peter Vincent in the American movie Fright Night.
July 28th, 2013 at 5:44:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
It looks like a kids Saturday morning sci-fi-soap opera
with really cheesy special effects. Am I wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrSaTHsHNsc
July 28th, 2013 at 9:05:45 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
It looks like a kids Saturday morning sci-fi-soap opera with really cheesy special effects. Am I wrong?

Well, part of the mythology is to keep continuity with the original shows in the 1960's and 1970's. Since there were no special effects to speak of in the 1960's, the characters look a little cheesy. And it is a family show, but not exclusively watched by children. I think of a kids show as something which drives almost all normal adults crazy.

A Christmas special of Dr Who in 2010 was seen by 12.11 million viewers in the UK. Considering that USA has 5 times the population of UK, there have been only three scripted series finales that attracted over 60 million viewers. That of MASH, Seinfeld, and Cheers.

I think David Tennant used his fame from Dr. Who to do a performance of Hamlet.
July 29th, 2013 at 3:59:20 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Nowadays I have to fortify myself with a bit of Dutch Courage before watching Television ...
Ooops. Holland consular official about to pounce.
July 29th, 2013 at 6:59:45 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Since there were no special effects to speak of in the 1960's, the characters look a little cheesy.

I seriously don't have occasion to say this often, but I'll make an exception this time: OMG!!

1) Did you miss each and every episode of the original Star Trek??

2) Not only were there special effects in the 60s, there were special effects going back nearly to the dawn of cinema. Here, look up these three movies chock-full of spcial effects, all shot in B&W: King Kong, Metropolis, Citizen Kane (yes, I said "Citizen Kane.")

So, ok, they were not as good or "realistic" (what does a realistic warp drive activation look like??) as today's computer-driven visuals, but that's irrelevant. You may as well say there were no computers in the 60s, either.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 29th, 2013 at 9:45:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
I seriously don't have occasion to say this often, but I'll make an exception this time: OMG!!

I stand corrected. I should have said that in the limited budget of a TV series in Britain in the 1960's there was almost nothing that resembled modern day special effects. Even most American TV shows in the 1960's like Lost in Space had mostly flashing lights, rubber suits, shaking cameras, and smoke puffs.

A very common item in Navy usage is a sonobuoy transport tube. They made millions of these plastic containers since they carried small probes that mostly measured ocean temperature. They became the backbone of many sci-fi devices (like NOMAD).

Dr. Who today uses CGI and many movie quality effects, but in an effort to maintain continuity, the villains often look like they were from the 1960's.
Page 1 of 212>