1 vote (14.28%)
1 vote (14.28%)
1 vote (14.28%)

7 members have voted

July 30th, 2013 at 4:03:08 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
This post refers to this article: Hawaii offers homeless one-way ticket off islands.

I'm surprised that no other states already do this, or do they? This seems like too easy of a solution to get rid of the homeless. Maybe even throw in some traveling money to get rid of more. Then again, if every states did then the homeless could travel around for free, at the expense of the state. I figured there was an agreement, perhaps unspoken, between the states to not dump their homeless on each other.

Whatever the historical background, if Hawaii starts dumping their homeless on the mainland I suggest we mainlanders send ours on a nice one-way vacation to Hawaii. What better place to be homeless?

The question for the poll is do you agree with this. For example, if Hawaii starts sending your state their homeless would you support sending yours there?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 30th, 2013 at 4:21:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
It's a very sad commentary that this is not the most idiotic idea realted to this problem I've ever heard.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 30th, 2013 at 5:10:41 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
Here in New York, we keep our homeless in Mid-town Manhattan next to the Waldorf-Astoria and thereabouts.
July 30th, 2013 at 5:13:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
This post refers to this article: Hawaii offers homeless one-way ticket off islands.

Thats hilarious. If I needed to be homeless I would get
my ass to Hawaii any way possible. Not only is the
weather a dream 365 days a year, they have a totally
Lib state government that has benefits up the butt
for you. Why would you leave this homeless paradise
if you didn't have to.

I just read that less than 3% of the homeless are actually
from the mainland and have lived there less than 5 years.
The majority are natives and people that have been there
longer than 20 years.

When I lived there in the mid 70's, there was homeless
natives on the beaches all day long, drinking Coors and
smoking that wicked Hawaiian weed was their lifelong
lifestyle. Collecting welfare forever. The ones I got to know
were useless, they had education, no drive, no goals. They
were perfectly happy doing nothing and being nobody.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 30th, 2013 at 6:15:05 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
I just read that less than 3% of the homeless are actually
from the mainland and have lived there less than 5 years.
The majority are natives and people that have been there
longer than 20 years.

It wouldn't surprise me if the local homeless made any newcomers feel unwelcome.
July 30th, 2013 at 6:34:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
It wouldn't surprise me if the local homeless made any newcomers feel unwelcome.

I do not think that is special to Hawaii. Many homeless have one kind of mental illness or another, and plenty get territorial. I would still choose Hawaii to be homeless in. Besides just the weather and liberal state government you have a endless supply of tourists to panhandle or con.
The President is a fink.
July 30th, 2013 at 7:26:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

They sure as hell made me feel unwelcome and
I wasn't homeless. They endlessly hit on my
girlfriend right in front of me, I came to hate the
bastards. Of course she ate it up, she's a woman.
We lived in Makaha, which isn't exactly the upscale
side of the island. Damn the weather was nice,
though. I don't know what a bad day in Hawaii would
look like weatherwise. It rains every day but its a
warm rain and doesn't last long. Its never humid because
of the constant trade winds. It really is paradise.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 31st, 2013 at 12:54:59 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Criminals, the homeless and the mentally ill are ALL subject to geographic pressures.

Look what happened in the sixties when Minnesota made a third streetwalking offense a mandatory prison stretch and a felony: an area of Manhattan in NYC got re-named The Minnesota Strip.

Often there are articles about "bus tickets" for various criminals or mental patients and some press statements threatening retaliation if it continues, these things usually die out.

For a long time street crime was combatted by flying tourists back to the Islands for a postponed trial and "second vacation"

For decades the problem of teen pregnancies has always been solvable by paying girls not to get knocked up, but taxpayers "with decent daughters" don't like that.

Nevada aggressively arrests felons who did not report their arrival in the state of Nevada. Every road, busterminal and airline terminal has signs requiring felons to register and this tends to keep the "geography flow" away from Nevada.
July 31st, 2013 at 2:36:58 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Fleastiff
Nevada aggressively arrests felons who did not report their arrival in the state of Nevada. Every road, busterminal and airline terminal has signs requiring felons to register and this tends to keep the "geography flow" away from Nevada.

I never knew this.
July 31st, 2013 at 12:24:08 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I'm surprised that no other states already do this, or do they?

Exporting homeless is done all the time. Sometimes from city to city, sometimes from state to state. It isn't obvious, as homeless are normally arrested since they break all sorts of laws, and it they are normally given a bus ticket.

The only thing about Hawaii is that it requires an airline ticket.
Page 1 of 212>