6 votes (66.66%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

9 members have voted

October 27th, 2012 at 4:42:58 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
There is a true engineering genius that figures out how to make something for a 1/3 or less of the price of the unit whose functionality they are copying. There is no pretense at getting close to quality of the original, but they want to make something available to the masses or to the third world. In the first world where Apple products have their own category in urban robberies, these products are not worth stealing or if they are stolen, there is little or no heart-ache.

(1) Cardboard bicycle for about $20 (third world product). Has the potential to make nearly everyone mobile, even if the bicycle doesn't last very long.

(2) Beagle e-reader for $13. By removing the wi-fi so that you must use a smart phone to download the books, and cutting the number of books down to less than 20, this product works in the 1st or 3rd world. Now you can take it to the beach, and still swim in the ocean without worrying about theft.

(3) The $2,500 automobile. Even in India this car has "status problems" because it is considered a "poor man's car". A mere 25' by 5' , a beefed up version will be sold in the USA in two years. An impressive achievement, but it remains to see if anyone in the first world will purchase it.

(4) A $40 tablet computer . Advantages similar to #1. I used to always buy the cheapest cell phones because I tended to leave them in hotel rooms.

Most women are not impressed by ultra cheap products. They tend to throw them away. I remember having an argument with a woman who was complaining about the problems of owning a convertible in Capital Hill (Washington DC). As a garage was beyond her means, she was so tired of having convertible roofs slashed with a knife because someone wanted to steal $30 sunglasses out of the car, that she would leave her car doors open. As a result she had the indignity of having bums sleep in her car. The obvious solution to me was simply to purchase a beater car that would be harder to break into and not worth the trouble. It is a version of the No Radio cars that were popular in the 1990's in New York particularly.

Needless to say, she informed me that she owned an advertising firm, and she would rather air "bum sweat" out of her car than drive a beater or move to a less fashionable suburb.
October 27th, 2012 at 7:41:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I am not sure if they have Harbor Freight Tools nationwide, but they have to be the biggest place for cheap tools anywhere. I swear they are 10% the USA trade deficit with China alone. Now, any guy knows cheapo tools are usually no deal. They do not work as good new and break fast. But sometimes you need a tool for just one job or you want an "emergency" tool, say a few tools for your boat in case of need to make a quick repair.

For example, I need to install a deadbolt lock this week so will need a hole-saw. Will use it just a few times, so will go cheapo.
The President is a fink.
October 28th, 2012 at 4:48:16 AM permalink
MonkeyMonkey
Threads: 0
I think the biggest problem with cheap tech stuff is how much stuff with plenty of life still in it ends up in a landfill because some part of the overall product failed. I also think it really stinks when cell phones start to malfunction after 18 months, because they know this makes you more likely to sign another 2 year contract to get the free upgrade because you're so sick and tired of how crappy your phone is.
World's most discriminating Kool-Aid connoisseur
March 5th, 2013 at 12:49:02 PM permalink
Pacomartin

Comments are appreciated about products that are ultra-cheap products that can be used instead of expensive ones. This $5.50 single cup brewer with a built in filter is an example. Too be fair, most of the reviews are terrible.

The positive reviews say it is an excellent alternative to instant coffee. You just need to use really course ground coffee and make small cups. Otherwise it takes so long to brew and the liquid is cold by the time you get a cup. You also don't have to deal with used filters (a pain if backpacking).

Ultra-Cheap products are often regarded as a nuisance, filling our landfills since they are so easily thrown away. But they may actually be one of humanities saving graces. Nokia and just about every one of its competitors is — to design a cellphone that will sell to essentially the only people left on earth who don’t yet have one, which is to say people who are illiterate, making $4 per day or less and have no easy access to electricity.

As cell phones can be adopted to currency transactions, they may make a massive difference to the third world by bringing basic banking services to the poorest of the poor.
March 5th, 2013 at 1:18:43 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Pacomartin
As cell phones can be adopted to currency transactions, they may make a massive difference to the third world by bringing basic banking services to the poorest of the poor.

I have definitely heard this is already a fact.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 5th, 2013 at 7:39:13 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I’m not familiar with Harbor Freight by name, but I have a bucket load of cheap tools, usually obtained from a “tool included” purchase, maybe an office chair, desk, or something similar.

As a poor country boy that does his share of “jury rigging” and cutting corners, these things are a god send. Why buy an expensive do-dad that can screw at any angle or whatever the gimmick is when I can take my “free” tool, put it in a vice, and just bend the sucker? Why buy a hole punch that cost some dollars when I can just use a “free” Phillips head screwdriver, one that can also be used to screw things, until I bust the head all to hell? I’d never do it with my quality Craftsman set, that’s for delicate, purposeful use. But if my quality set doesn’t fit the bill, I’ll pound and grind my “free” tools to suit my need, and then just toss them out after the abuse takes them out of service.

Exhaust hangers? Those are like $5! Coat hangers are like $0.12, just snip and twist! Lol
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 5th, 2013 at 11:37:10 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Cheap products are good, but sometimes I believe they can last longer, but are designed to have one little part guaranteed to worn out. The original Sink Stopper lasts decades. I get one at Wal Mart for $2-3, say thank you China and it lasts 3 months maybe. It is almost coming down to a science where things are just straight proportional for how much you pay for it. The problem is when you pay for something premium at don't get the expected life from it.
March 6th, 2013 at 9:52:26 AM permalink
Pacomartin

How many people purchase these really high end products, like this $40 lightbulb that should work for over 2 decades @ 3 hours per day, and run for over 600 hours for a dollars worth of electricity?
March 7th, 2013 at 5:10:15 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
The HE bulbs last a long time, but never as long as they state due to real life conditions and a conservative estimate for use. It's all good ideas, but once savings go up for everyone, the rates go up to pay the operating costs. Our utilities here don't have much resistance from regulators and get treated very favorably.
The Edison Tungsten filamens have a real possibility for speculation once 2014 gets here assuming no retraction of the law.
March 7th, 2013 at 7:46:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
The Edison Tungsten filamens have a real possibility for speculation once 2014 gets here assuming no retraction of the law.

If I remember correctly Edison Tungsten filaments 100 Watt Bulb was about $0.65 apiece. The 26 Watt CFL is about $4.33 and the 72 Watt Ecoadvantage is about $1.40 . The last one complies with the law.

I realize that people purchase far more 60 Watt bulbs than 100 Watt bulbs, but I am not aware of any speculative market developing in the old style 100 Watt bullbs (despite the cheapest alternative being twice the price. I am sure that some people bought a box to keep for replacements.

I expect to see more hoarding boxes of 60 Watt bulbs (compared to 100 Watt), but I can't imagine people buying them on speculation. They are simply not worth that much.

As I understand it, such speculation is perfectly legal. The law only restricts manufacturing. But you would have to rent a warehouse and hold onto it for at least a year. Your costs would destroy any profits from increased value in the bulbs.
Page 1 of 212>