Random Thought of the Day

June 7th, 2014 at 12:02:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: beachbumbabs
especially on seaplanes, but also ramp workers sucked into jet engines and naive passengers walking into spinning props on ramps..

The universe punishes stupidity very quickly,
always been the case. The incredible ability
some people have for walking around with
their heads shoved completely up their asses
never ceases to amaze.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 25th, 2014 at 11:38:28 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
If someone were to claim all of society's problems were caused by our distancing ourselves from the gods, no longer practicing the virtues pleasing to the gods, not taking their dictates into account, not acting as the gods command, and so on, he'd be considered insane.

If instead he substitued "God" or "Jesus" for "gods," he'd be offered the full support and backing from the Republican party for any office he'd like to be elected to.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 25th, 2014 at 7:41:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I've never seen this show, but I enjoyed this interview with Stephen Hawking. Only 6 min.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 26th, 2014 at 10:24:40 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I often wonder why not asingle theist has ever offered coffee as proof of God's existence, or Soccer and Baseball as proof that Satan is real.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 29th, 2014 at 9:04:01 PM permalink
rxwine
I'm surprised more mass shooters haven't tried dressing as cops or in local swat teams outfits. Pretty easy to duplicate the general look. No one is going to be able to do a close inspection in those kind of rapidly changing situations.

More confusion, uncertainty. More mayhem. Plus, they don't stick out in wearing a vest or carrying weapons.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 30th, 2014 at 6:42:53 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: rxwine
I'm surprised more mass shooters haven't tried dressing as cops or in local swat teams outfits. Pretty easy to duplicate the general look. No one is going to be able to do a close inspection in those kind of rapidly changing situations.

More confusion, uncertainty. More mayhem. Plus, they don't stick out in wearing a vest or carrying weapons.

Anyone with a modicum of awareness should be able to suss it out within 30seconds of thought.

5-0 almost always carries one service pistol, almost always a high capacity semi-auto. They don't dual wield or carry more than 2 extra mags, which are always on their belt. If one carries a shotgun, it's almost always a tactical model with no ridiculous magazine, just a standard tube mag. They'll never carry a rifle unless S.W.A.T., never an assault rifle unless sent to an armored shooter type scenario (BoA Bandits), or if it happens in the vicinity of assault weapon carrying enforcement (forts, bases, etc).

Besides all that, there's basic body language. Anyone on the planet is already tuned for this sort of thing. It's instinct. Guys hyped on anger exhibit the same behavior no matter the age, race, or culture.

Any video coverage of any shootout I've ever seen makes it blatantly obvious of who is the good and who is the bad. Just the stance alone sets it off immediately. For someone to pull it off, they'd have to be crazy, AND composed, AND intelligent, AND a hell of an actor. And if you ever see a cop with a weapon in his hand, you go the other way. Away from him, away from the way he's headed.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 30th, 2014 at 10:22:30 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
There is a good deal of truth in what you say regarding 30 seconds of thought.

Ever see a patrol car happen upon a prostitution sting...patrol cops know hookers always have rotten teeth. Dead giveaway.

Same thing with trying to put a cop inside a fast food place... they just look too well nourished to work there.

One thing about all these new energy drinks... it used to be only Mountain Dew that indicated druggies but now cans of anything are being used to swill things down.
July 1st, 2014 at 9:37:25 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Need some help with bee weirdness. AZD?

I have these things in my garage. Perhaps they're technically wasps, I dunno, but I suppose it's so. I can't identify them. They're quite small, smaller than a honeybee. Nearly all black save for one thin yellow stripe around their abdomen, yellow "feet", and a bit of yellow on their heads.

I seen some enter a hollow metal frame of a shelf. I tapped it, buzzed it with a power tool on it, banged it with a hammer, couldn't even get them to peek out to investigate. They also are constantly around my work table, which is just untreated 2x4, 1x6, and 4x4. They run into us at times, but wouldn't say they're the least bit aggressive.

Almost every time I see them, they're carrying an inchworm. It's weird, like they're going on a bombing run and have inchworm munitions in their bomb bay. This is why I suspect they're wasps - carnivore predator.

Anyways, they were mostly just a curiosity. Then when I was welding, I saw one sitting in an abandoned screw hole in the wooden work bench. I was grinding, welding, hammering, didn't bother it at all. I didn't pay much attention to it.

But today, I started reassembling my spare motor. Every nut that I left out was packed with beeswax. Every time I punched it out, there was at least one inchworm trapped inside. I then noticed all the screw holes in my table were packed as well. Every punch out revealed more inchworms trapped inside. I pulled 12 out of the biggest hole, as well as a large grub. I'm suspecting the grub is offspring and the inchworms are there to feed it upon hatching. The thing that's moved them into pest territory is they're starting to drill holes of their own, and some of them are big enough for me to lose bitty parts into, basically the size of a carpenter bee hole.

WTF are these, and more importantly, how can I protect my wooden work bench?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 1st, 2014 at 2:23:46 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Face,

Try buying some trisodium phosphate in the paint department and add it to some soap (Perhaps Murphy's oil soap). Wash your workbench thoroughly. Bees/wasps don't like the TSP and should not return to eat/lay eggs in it. Some Googling turned this tip up. Looks like a tablespoon or two per gallon is enough. (1/4 cup per 2 gallons)

There are some TSP soaps available pre-mixed here and there, but EPA regulations took all phosphates out of most household products (laundry/dishwasher/dish soaps), so they don't work as well as they used to.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
July 8th, 2014 at 2:46:35 PM permalink
rxwine
At this age, what seems like a good idea is often not a good idea. At least as far as adults are concerned.