Random Thought of the Day

June 8th, 2016 at 12:45:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Stephen Hawking has expanded his theories on black holes, claiming they are portals to another universe.

... they are safer than first thought.

...you'd probably come out the other side in a different universe, and there'd be no going back.

Only one way to test that. But you won't be able to tell anyone.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/science/stephen-hawking-claims-black-holes-8140559
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 10th, 2016 at 6:29:09 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I keep getting pressed at work into joining the latest soccer (sucker?) tournament pool. So for the latest I decided I would, but instead of trying to predict results I'd simply assign a random number between 0 and 3 to each team in a match.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 10th, 2016 at 1:20:20 PM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
Quote: Nareed
I keep getting pressed at work into joining the latest soccer (sucker?) tournament pool. So for the latest I decided I would, but instead of trying to predict results I'd simply assign a random number between 0 and 3 to each team in a match.
Inclusive? How will you be selecting your number? Excel, c++, flipping coins, rolling a die, or some other interesting method?
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
June 10th, 2016 at 1:22:51 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: miplet
Inclusive? How will you be selecting your number? Excel, c++, flipping coins, rolling a die, or some other interesting method?

Excel.

I keep a file with one cell with the random formula, because I've no idea how to use it. I do know how to sub values.
June 13th, 2016 at 4:38:33 PM permalink
Nareed
Excel is in last place :)

Come to think of it, I've no idea what results I put down, what tournament they're for, or when are the matches (such as they are) actually played.

That's fine. If I pay attention, I start caring who wins and by how much in a soccer match, and that's almost as bad as watching game (such as it is), and that would be just a tiny step above attending a religious service (such as they are).
June 14th, 2016 at 5:44:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Pretty sure I've done these experiments without knowing it. : )

Quote:
Thirty domestic cats were videotaped while an experimenter shook a container. In some cases this action went along with a rattling sound. In others it did not, to simulate that the vessel was empty. After the shaking phase, the container was turned over, either with an object dropping down or not.

Two experimental conditions were congruent with physical laws, where shaking was accompanied by a (no) sound and an (no) object to fall out of the container. The other two conditions were incongruent to the laws of physics. Either a rattling sound was followed by no object dropping out of the container or no sound while shaking led to a falling object.

The cats looked longer at the containers which were shaken together with a noise. This suggests that cats used a physical law to infer the existence (or absence) of objects based on whether they heard a rattle (or not). This helped them predict whether an object would appear (or not) once the container was overturned.

The animals also stared longer at containers in incongruent conditions, meaning an object dropped despite its having been shaken noiselessly or the other way around. It is as if the cats realized that such conditions did not fit into their grasp of causal logic.

"Cats use a causal-logical understanding of noise or sounds to predict the appearance of invisible objects," says Takagi.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-06-cats-grasp-laws-physics.html#jCp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 16th, 2016 at 10:29:05 AM permalink
rxwine
I saw the first part of a story with "Everything you need to know about the Led..." but couldn't see the rest until scrolling down more.

My mind was sounding out the letters, but then realized the rest of it was about the Led Zeppelin trial not light emitting diodes.
June 18th, 2016 at 6:01:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Not my thought, but I've thought similarly.

Quote:

They say, "Well, why are you staring at the wall? You shouldn't do that. You should do otherwise." Your response to them is, "Listen, it's my vacation, it's my time and it's my wall."
June 23rd, 2016 at 2:45:04 PM permalink
rxwine
If this is typical nature photography, I might opt for something safer like war photographer.

Story says he stopped 8 inches away.
June 25th, 2016 at 11:14:29 AM permalink
Nareed
Story idea I won't ever develop (the research involved would be excruciating):

A devout Catholic priest accidentally travels back in time to, say, the height of the Inquisition. He begins preaching at a small town church, thinking that with his added knowledge of how religion will develop he's ahead of everyone else, and therefore can bring his god's word to the world that much sooner. He winds up executed for heresy.