Random Thought of the Day

March 9th, 2017 at 1:07:50 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Nareed

These days one could easily remove the top numbers row and add symbols, emoji or something more useful, though many laptops lack a keypad.

I hope not, I only use the top row numbers. Clearly I don't do much data entry but the top row numbers seem easier to use while typing.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 9th, 2017 at 1:21:22 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: DRich
I hope not, I only use the top row numbers. Clearly I don't do much data entry but the top row numbers seem easier to use while typing.

A touchscreen is replacing the top row of numbers and symbols on some keyboards I have seen. It allows users to scroll through different symbol sets or functions with a swipe, like a skinny smartphone screen.

Here's an example of the technology from Apple, but it is the function keys not the numbers.
March 9th, 2017 at 1:25:50 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
A touchscreen is replacing the top row of numbers and symbols on some keyboards I have seen. It allows users to scroll through different symbol sets or functions with a swipe, like a skinny smartphone screen.

That makes fractionally more sense than a touchscreen monitor.

But remember when keyboards in the 2000s came with pre-programmed buttons for common functions? I still have an HP keyboard like that from a defunct XP machine. I kept it only because it also has 2 USB ports (easier to access than those at the back of the PC), and a volume knob. I couldn't even tell you what the plethora of other buttons are, because I never used them.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 9th, 2017 at 1:36:27 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Why aren't telephone key pads and calculator/computer keypads arranged the same way?
I'm told its easy to re-map a keyboard.
March 9th, 2017 at 1:52:40 PM permalink
Nareed
I hope not, I only use the top row numbers.

When I moved from the Apple ][e to an IBM DOS PC, I kept on using the top row out of habit. Curiously, it took just a few days to break it, seeing how much more efficient the keypad is. On good days I can input row after row of numbers without even looking at it, and quite quickly, too.
March 10th, 2017 at 1:33:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Fortune magazine’s list of the best companies to work in the US for is perennially dominated by sexy names. This year, it includes Google, with its abundant perks and freedom to innovate; Genentech, a biotech where employees are united around the goal of curing cancer; and the Boston Consulting group, with its high pay and challenging assignments.

Nestled among them is Wegmans Food Markets, a decidedly low-tech, regional supermarket chain based in unglamorous Rochester, New York.
This is Wegmans’ 20th time making the Fortune list, and this year they’re ranked second, behind Google. It’s not immediately obvious why they fare so well. Salaries are not high: According to Glassdoor, cashiers average $9.44 an hour, while department managers make about $60,000 a year. The work is not particularly exciting or challenging, and while helping customers feed their families can be rewarding, it’s not exactly curing cancer.

Psychologists and behavioral economists understand that employees do better when they feel their work has meaning, and that praise and non-financial incentives can be more effective at motivating them than higher pay and bonuses. In experiments, Duke economist Dan Ariely found Israeli factory workers were more productive for longer when they were rewarded with gift certificates for pizza instead of cash. Ariely theorizes that employees will give extra effort when they believe their employers care about them and their families; he even suggests company’s set aside employee pay to fund their children’s college tuition.

https://qz.com/929952/wegmans-a-small-american-supermarket-chain-is-ranked-with-google-and-boston-consulting-as-one-of-fortunes-best-places-to-work/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 14th, 2017 at 7:17:24 AM permalink
Nareed
Every 75 minutes, on average, the Sun shines down upon the Earth as much energy as all of humanity uses in a year in all forms.

We can't possibly tap it all.

But can you guess at a means to tap even more?
March 14th, 2017 at 8:01:36 PM permalink
Nareed
I've heard of missing a plane (I've never missed one). But this is different:

This guy at the office shows up at the airport at 5 am for a 6 am flight. So far so good. But he'd failed in his attempts to print a boarding pass the day before, and the kiosk at the airport won't cooperate. He gets the attention of an airline employee who looks into the matter. By now this guy's nervous about taking too long and missing his flight.

"Sir," the employee informs him, "your ticket is for next Tuesday, the 21st."

Damn!
March 15th, 2017 at 8:20:11 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I've heard of missing a plane (I've never missed one). But this is different:

This guy at the office shows up at the airport at 5 am for a 6 am flight. So far so good. But he'd failed in his attempts to print a boarding pass the day before, and the kiosk at the airport won't cooperate. He gets the attention of an airline employee who looks into the matter. By now this guy's nervous about taking too long and missing his flight.

"Sir," the employee informs him, "your ticket is for next Tuesday, the 21st."

Damn!

I have only missed two flights and I used to fly weekly. One flight I was at the gate but they had just closed the door and wouldn't let me on. The other I was sitting at the airport bar with a friend and we just drank and talked too much and completely forgot about our flight. It had departed almost an hour prior to us realizing we missed it.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 15th, 2017 at 8:34:36 AM permalink
Nareed
I have only missed two flights and I used to fly weekly.

The closest I've come was when I got lost on the way to the airport (closed off freeways mess things up, and this was before Waze), and I got to the gate at 6 am, with a stated departure (pushback) time of 6:05. I was lucky the plane hadn't even begun boarding.

At that, had online check-in not existed then, I'd have missed the plane.

Oh, I got wind of another epic mis-scheduling, This guy and his family were traveling to NYC and their boarding time was at "one." So they arrive at the airport at 11 am on the dot, go to the check-in counter, and find out their flight had left ten hours before.

Now, I'm familiar with airline tickets, and they either specify am/pm, or use a 24-hour format. Thus their tickets would have either stated 1:00 am or 01:00, rather than 1:00 pm or 13:00.

But if it was the latter format, someone inexperienced or unknowledgeable might understandably make that mistake.