Random Thought of the Day

March 24th, 2017 at 7:54:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
A modern day tortoise and hare.

Suppose you want to send a very important, urgent, and heavy package to a city about 600 miles away. It's 4 pm, and it has to be there before 10 pm the next day.

In Mexico there are services like FedEx and UPS. Hell, there is FedEx and UPS. Also DHL, and several local companies. So you pick one of these. You drive a short distance to an office and send the package. Well, it does make it to the routing center in town, but not to the airport in time to catch the daily flight to the other city. So your package does get delivered, but the day after tomorrow.

But what option do you have? This is the fastest transportation available, by plane.

What you do is go to the bus station and ship the package from there. But requesting that it not be delivered to the recipient's address (something the bus company's courier arm would do for the same fee), but instead that it be held at the bus station in the other city to be picked up by the recipient.

The bus will take ten hours to make the trip, but there are dozens of buses making that trip. Even if it has to leave the next day for some reason, as long as it leaves before noon, it will be there in time.

Sure, the recipient has to drive to the bus station for pickup, but the package will be there on time, not hours after the deadline.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 24th, 2017 at 8:01:59 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Nareed
Hypothesis:

If party A supports a policy X that party B opposes, it will later reject that policy should party B change its mind and embrace it.

I hate party A. Mouth breathing degenerates.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
March 28th, 2017 at 11:13:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Thank you for small lizards.

First home I've ever lived in almost devoid of bugs. I can count the random bugs I've seen inside in 4 years here on two hands still, maybe one hand even, aside from flying ones.

The perimeter outside is a lizard paradise. Some people don't like 'em. Not even the wily cockroach gets by them.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 29th, 2017 at 1:05:23 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Get a cat... the house will be insect and lizard free. Small lizards can poison cats. I prefer cats obviously. Unfortunately cats will also bring down low flying birds, hummingbirds, etc.
March 29th, 2017 at 12:12:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Fleastiff
Get a cat... the house will be insect and lizard free. Small lizards can poison cats. I prefer cats obviously. Unfortunately cats will also bring down low flying birds, hummingbirds, etc.

Despite their drawbacks, like not banging on the window blinds to wake you up at 5am, lizards have cheaper vet bills.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 29th, 2017 at 1:51:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I have never contributed to this thread,
why do I read it. Fah...
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 29th, 2017 at 2:03:58 PM permalink
Nareed
I know someone who got a cat to deal with a mice problem. He found the mice eating from the cat's bowl :)

On the other hand, I had a winged rat problem years ago. I got a cat, and the pigeons moved their noise and droppings elsewhere at once.
March 29th, 2017 at 2:14:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Nareed
On the other hand, I had a winged rat problem years ago. I got a cat, and the pigeons moved their noise and droppings elsewhere at once.

I remember once being in downtown Vegas watching all these pigeons. I was thinking at the time, all you really need is a circus mallet.
March 29th, 2017 at 2:27:38 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
careful. remember those guys that made headlines going after the pink flamingoes unaware of their protected species status.
March 29th, 2017 at 2:53:58 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
I remember once being in downtown Vegas watching all these pigeons. I was thinking at the time, all you really need is a circus mallet.

Messy.

And you can't play "follow the laser dot" with a circus mallet.

I mean, you can. But I doubt you'll enjoy it.