Random Thought of the Day

March 29th, 2017 at 6:02:55 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Politics can be reduced to one Futurama joke:

Candidate John Jackson: Your 5% tax goes to far!

Candidate Jack Johnson: Your 5% tax does not go far enough!
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 30th, 2017 at 10:48:31 AM permalink
Nareed
Last year I sent an email to a hotel, they replied, I replied, and their last reply wound up in the spam folder for some reason.

I've been topped:

http://www.cosmicyarns.com/2017/03/a-new-email-low.html

I send emails to myself frequently.
March 30th, 2017 at 2:04:41 PM permalink
Nareed
Some years ago I read a suggestion by Robert Tracinsky that history moves faster these days (as I recall, he compared the time between WWI and the fall of the Berlin Wall to a mini-Dark Age).

So taking that into consideration, here's a thought:

history moves faster, let's assume. Therefore so-called "fake news" are more akin to mythology being produced faster as well.

Pretty much the best known "historical" figures are outright mythological, like say Robin Hood, or are mythologized versions of real people, like George Washington. You'll find few such real historical figures free of myths to accompany their real actions. Much of what survives from ancient cultures are myths as well.

In short, people like myths.

Why not? The sides are clear, the characters are engaging, there is a resolution to everything, there are no gaping holes in the record, things end well, etc. They're good fiction.

To quote Mike Duncan: will someday people claim George Washington was born from a cherry tree, and he had the wooden teeth to prove it?

Probably not. But did he ever tell a lie?
March 30th, 2017 at 2:28:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
It's a sign of the times.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 31st, 2017 at 9:14:18 AM permalink
Nareed
I've never used Skype, or made any calls using any app other than the native phone app (which previously was the whole point of having a cell phone).
April 2nd, 2017 at 1:43:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Secrets of a working spy.

Can never send mail from home on Tuesdays, because putting the mailbox flag up on Tuesdays is the signal there is going to be an information drop.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 3rd, 2017 at 6:38:08 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: rxwine
Secrets of a working spy.

Can never send mail from home on Tuesdays, because putting the mailbox flag up on Tuesdays is the signal there is going to be an information drop.

Reminds me of Clancy novels about the Cold War. A late night jogger would notice a window shade in a certain position. He'd run two more blocks and stop to tie his shoe behind a parked car and retrieve a small box from under the bumper. The next morning on the way to work the jogger would stop at a news stand, buy a paper and pass the box to the news stand guy. And on and on until the information finally reached the intended spook. I don't know how the real spy business works, but it seems to me that any Russians working with Trump would know how to communicate without leaving a paper or electronic trail.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
April 3rd, 2017 at 8:17:56 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: JimRockford
. I don't know how the real spy business works, but it seems to me that any Russians working with Trump would know how to communicate without leaving a paper or electronic trail.
Instead of "dead drops" they use salads and Russian Dressing to indicate a need to deliver instructions. Ivanka gets information because Putin snores in code.
April 3rd, 2017 at 4:26:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
Instead of "dead drops" they use salads and Russian Dressing to indicate a need to deliver instructions. Ivanka gets information because Putin snores in code.

CNN is looking in depth at the Russian
dressing connection, already had stories
on it. Turns out Trump really likes it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 4th, 2017 at 6:55:12 AM permalink
Nareed
Did you ever notice amazing, wonderful things are announced on April 1st of every year, and then are never heard of again?

Do you ever wonder why that is?